Louis Tee's 2017 NFL Draft Wrapup: Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Louis Tee's 2017 NFL Draft Wrapup: Miami Dolphins

Here's footage of the game that Louis Tee mentioned in his analysis of Raekwon.

The play that impressed Tee is at the :46 mark where he blows up the FB. It certainly was awesome display of power at the POA, but with Mcmillian being the force defender he should have attacked the 2nd level blocker on the playside and squeezed the gap from the outside-in. He instead attacked with his outside shoulder from the inside and was therefore part of the reason the RB was able to gain the yardage he did on that particular strongside run despite what was said in the video.

In limited and short time, you can also view Raekwon's ability to stack and shed lineman at marks :23 & :30, and his ability to quickly get to the edge by taking the proper angle, getting outside the blocker, and making the tackle at :38.

Just getting back to finishing up the video and kudos to Tee for addressing the negative aspect of McMillian attacking the blocker with the wrong shoulder in his con review. Good point, but as long as he is following his eyes to the edge and can flash his helmet or color to the outside - which is what RBs are taught to read - he can still effectively force the play back inside to the plug defender without having to shed the block. These details can and should be cleaned up with more coaching.

Also note that Tee mentions that Raekwon has no problems in zone coverage (and I agree), but has concerns in man. We are mainly a zone coverage defense so we can put the "2 down" LB talk to rest.

Last edited:
Really nice analysis.

Interesting note on Charles Harris and needing to use his hands better. He may have nailed the reason Harris has struggled against the run with this analysis. Also see that as a coachable issue so it's something we should see improvement on.

His take on Raekwon McMillan is spot on IMO.

Here's footage of the game that Louis Tee mentioned in his analysis of Raekwon.

The play that impressed Tee is at the :46 mark where he blows up the FB. It certainly was awesome display of power at the POA, but with Mcmillian being the force defender he should have attacked the 2nd level blocker on the playside and squeezed the gap from the outside-in. He instead attacked with his outside shoulder from the inside and was therefore part of the reason the RB was able to gain the yardage he did on that particular strongside run despite what was said in the video.

In limited and short time, you can also view Raekwon's ability to stack and shed lineman at marks :23 & :30, and his ability to quickly get to the edge by taking the proper angle, getting outside the blocker, and making the tackle at :38.

I have to preface this post by stating that this is the majority of the game film I've seen on Raekwon, but just relating to the WI game I have a few thoughts.

First, I watched the the blow up play that Tee mentioned many times, and was initially blown away by the physical nature of that play. After the first 6 to 7 replays I watched the play and focused on the offensive player, and after seeing it from that perspective I was less impressed by the play. The fullback (who actually looks more like an h-back) did not prepare for that contact whatsoever, did't lower his pads, didn't drop his hips, didn't even bring his hands up to make a punch. His only real option was to get smoked. Raekwon read the play well, and got to the right spot, but that play didn't really display a physical presence as much as it appears.

Generally speaking, Raekwon has good athleticism, but doesn't move very fluidly, he's a bit robotic. I'm not trying to say his movement is poor, just saying it's not a strength. Speaking of strengths, I've often read that Raekwon has exceptional instincts and play recognition, but in this game he looked good, but not great in this regard. I must mention that watching every snap of Zach Thomas' career may have raised the bar of what I consider exceptional instincts.

One other thing, and this may be nitpicking, but Raekwon doesn't seem like a guy that loves contact, that's not to say that he avoids/is afraid of contact, but he doesn't seek it out. I've often read that he is a "thumper", but I would say he is more "stout" as a player, rather than a thumper. There are several plays in the video where Raekwon has a chance to add one of those "echo of the whistle" hits that some players love, but he doesn't go after those.

While I realize that this is only regarding the WI game, he looks more like a Sam than a Mike in these clips.

Does anyone have any Raekwon links that show multiple games?

I have to preface this post by stating that this is the majority of the game film I've seen on Raekwon, but just relating to the WI game I have a few thoughts.

First, I watched the the blow up play that Tee mentioned many times, and was initially blown away by the physical nature of that play. After the first 6 to 7 replays I watched the play and focused on the offensive player, and after seeing it from that perspective I was less impressed by the play. The fullback (who actually looks more like an h-back) did not prepare for that contact whatsoever, did't lower his pads, didn't drop his hips, didn't even bring his hands up to make a punch. His only real option was to get smoked. Raekwon read the play well, and got to the right spot, but that play didn't really display a physical presence as much as it appears.

Gotta disagree. It was certainly impressive at the POA, but it probably caught the FB (Alec Ingold 6'2" 240#) by surprise in that McMillian went for the inside, blasted him, and traded one for one (a defensive no-no) instead of trying to properly stack and shed to get outside of his block. I get what you're saying in that the FB didn't look in position to uncoil his hips and unload, but again I think he was caught off guard by the unusual and improper tactic.

Generally speaking, Raekwon has good athleticism, but doesn't move very fluidly, he's a bit robotic. I'm not trying to say his movement is poor, just saying it's not a strength. Speaking of strengths, I've often read that Raekwon has exceptional instincts and play recognition, but in this game he looked good, but not great in this regard. I must mention that watching every snap of Zach Thomas' career may have raised the bar of what I consider exceptional instincts.

One other thing, and this may be nitpicking, but Raekwon doesn't seem like a guy that loves contact, that's not to say that he avoids/is afraid of contact, but he doesn't seek it out. I've often read that he is a "thumper", but I would say he is more "stout" as a player, rather than a thumper. There are several plays in the video where Raekwon has a chance to add one of those "echo of the whistle" hits that some players love, but he doesn't go after those.

While I realize that this is only regarding the WI game, he looks more like a Sam than a Mike in these clips.

Does anyone have any Raekwon links that show multiple games?

Here's 10 full games of McMillan.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/raekwon-mcmillan/

The kid is definitely a MLB. No doubt. Just remember you weren't watching Zach Thomas in college and we're viewing him as a more polished player that immediately benefited from being oached by a great defensive minds in Jimmy Johnson and George Hill.

Gotta disagree. It was certainly impressive at the POA, but it probably caught the FB (Alec Ingold 6'2" 240#) by surprise in that McMillian went for the inside, blasted him, and traded one for one (a defensive no-no) instead of trying to properly stack and shed to get outside of his block. I get what you're saying in that the FB didn't look in position to uncoil his hips and unload, but again I think he was caught off guard by the unusual and improper tactic.

Here's 10 full games of McMillan.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/raekwon-mcmillan/

The kid is definitely a MLB. No doubt. Just remember you weren't watching Zach Thomas in college and we're viewing him as a more polished player that immediately benefited from being oached by a great defensive minds in Jimmy Johnson and George Hill.

That was a nice highlight play, but I think the result had more to do with the offensive player. Raekwon does some nice things there (reads the play and gets to the spot), but the hit is a bit of fools gold.

Good point about college versus pro about ZT, if Raekwon can develop those instincts a bit he will stand out in that regard, he definitely shows signs of being that type of guy.

Also, thanks for the link for the game tapes, I'm interested in seeing more of Raekwon.

It's been WAY too long since we have had a real Mike, I'm hoping for the best!

Raekwon McMillan appears to be the absolute best linebacker drafted by the Dolphins in the past 20 odd years. He has good instincts. He's a decent size. He appears to have really great natural leadership attributes (and he's still only 20). He's smart, high character and he excelled on a big stage at Ohio State.
Yet some of you seem to be looking real hard to find fault with him and Miami's decision to draft him. Time will tell, but Win Fin Fin's concern that he avoids physical contact above seems off base. I see his natural physicality as a strength that can be developed. Let's see how he goes but my expectation is that we drafted a bona fide future star and defensive leader.

Raekwon McMillan appears to be the absolute best linebacker drafted by the Dolphins in the past 20 odd years. He has good instincts. He's a decent size. He appears to have really great natural leadership attributes (and he's still only 20). He's smart, high character and he excelled on a big stage at Ohio State.
Yet some of you seem to be looking real hard to find fault with him and Miami's decision to draft him. Time will tell, but Win Fin Fin's concern that he avoids physical contact above seems off base. I see his natural physicality as a strength that can be developed. Let's see how he goes but my expectation is that we drafted a bona fide future star and defensive leader.

I never said that I didn't want the Dolphins to draft him, I'm actually very happy that we drafted him.

Also, I never said "avoids physical contact", it was actually quite the contrary:

Also remember, my post above was only referencing the WI game that was shown above.

Thanks to SoS, I've had a chance to watch a few more games. Overall, he was pretty much the same player in most of the games I saw. The one game where he REALLY looks good is the Clemson game, Raekwon is all over the field in that game. His play recognition is EXCELLENT there, he also seems to be a bit more "fired up" for that game. It was nice to see him elevate his game against the best competition, although OSU lost the game, it was not Raekwon's fault.

In a nutshell; Raekwon is athletic, although a bit "stiff"///he's a willing tackler, but not a guys that seeks out contact at every turn////his play recognition is good, but not yet great, although he does shows signs of a guy that could develop that skill to a very high level.

Back
Top Bottom