Mac Jones traded. Better than Tua? LOL | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mac Jones traded. Better than Tua? LOL

I'd argue Tua had things way, way worse than Mac for his first 2 years and it's only the last 2 years that Miami has actually supported Tua and are starting to reap the fruits of it. (Not to the 41 numbskulls in the other thread though...)

New England seemed to go the opposite way. They started out supporting him and his 92 rating was pretty decent for a young QB and shows he could at least be a low level starter. Then for some reason they saw the crap Miami was running with Tua and thought "We want some of that" and went and signed Parker and Gesicki, two guys that are famous for their lack of separation and their lack of YAC. Every ball you throw to them is a contested catch.

Total malpractice from the New England front office, it was a master class in how to destroy your young QB. I still think he ends up being a great backup or a low level starter somewhere at some point unless his personality really is a toxic as people say.

I think you and I probably agree that in the end, the Patriots didn't lose out on any great QB. Even on a good team he had little that he brought to the table that would've made him something special. Then again, in that 1st year he seemed to throw a great, arcing touch pass down the sideline which -- for the sake of being honest -- scared me a lot. That knack for dropping a clutch pass "in the bucket" always made Eli Manning aa annoyingly pesky QB who seemed to over-achieve. Initially, I was very concerned, particularly when the Patriots ranked above the Dolphins in 2021. :oops:

Morbidly, I kind of envy the Patriots being in position to rebuild without fear of "missing out" on what their past HC or QB might've been. It's a clean slate up there at this point and that comes with much more optimism (as we Dolfans well know). There's something very freeing in knowing that the moves you're making are the right ones, even if those are only to clean house.

No one disagrees that like it or not, our position is much more stressful as the pressure is beginning to grow around Grier, McDaniel and Tua to win Playoff games and justify the rebuild. Meanwhile solid players are leaving and Tyreek is getting himself in trouble off the field.

Ultimately I think we all sense it's a bit too late to be asking questions about whether or not the rebuild worked. It didn't. It's where we go from here that matters. At this point, we're just hoping to end up where the Cowboys have been lately--a perennially above-.500 team that occasionally wins a Playoff game. It's respectable but not really all that fulfilling. There's a kind of glass ceiling there.

Our GM doesn't create enough draft value to ever build a dominant team. We're never going to be what the Seahawks were a decade ago or what the 49ers have been recently. Such dreams are pretty silly, I think. If Tua were merely here to be our Russell Wilson or our Brock Purdy maybe there would be more hope. But I think we're stuck needing a heroic kind of QB who can pull more than his own weight--or perhaps a new GM who can actually build a better team through better drafting.

It's almost unfathomable to me that it's already been 5 years since we started down this path. I think the optimist crowd needs to understand how long 5 years is in the NFL. It's well beyond what most GMs and HCs get to prove they have the answer to a team's issues.

Who's to say? Maybe Mac Jones would still have a job in NE if the Patriots would've made plays for Mike McDaniel and signed Tyreek Hill 2 years ago? Is it our QB who's proven himself or all the investment made to prop him up? That's what worries me. This isn't totally Mac Jones failure. If that's the case, maybe this isn't totally Tua's success. In an NFL where most 2nd contracts look bad, why are we so quick to act--especially in the aftermath of Ryan Tannehill?

These two QBs both emerged from Bama with nearly identical output and in 2021 they were right beside each other in the NFL as well. The fact one was part of a collapse and the other is on the verge of being re-signed to a long-term deal gives one pause.

I don't think anyone believes their favorite team should re-sign players just because those players need a new contract. I don't think anyone wants to see player paydays come before team success. And I think we're all here to get it right, no matter who the GM, HC and QB are. Nobody can be sacred.

It's competition and that's why we watch. You should re-sign people who are demonstrably better than the average and who are the source of the success, the reason for a turnaround, someone who has led the team into difficult environments and emerged victorious, produced uncanny success when people didn't expect it, etc.

I think loading the team with talent and beating the bad teams is the opposite of, 'uncanny success people didn't expect.'

These QBs both starved under bad coaches. They both threw to the same guys: Devante Parker, Mike Gesicki, Malcolm Perry, etc. It's uncanny. Jonnu Smith is yet another name they will now share in common.

I think the failure of Mac Jones says a lot. You could likely prop him up well enough to justify re-signing him. But that isn't creating value or achieving anything of long-term significance.

Last edited:

From this trainwreck of a thread:

60% of the time I am right, every time.

And for the record, I am still not sold on Tua being the guy. Being "right" about this may not be a good thing. We could just be spinning our wheels with Tua as our QB and maybe Patriots were smart enough to cut their losses and move on and were still holding on to a guy who is just not good enough to win meaningful games.

His OC(s) didn't help him either.

His lack of WR's/playmakers that could separate also handcuffed him.
You mean his defensive offensive co-coordinators?

I think Mac Jones goes the way of Blake Bortles. Not talented enough to keep for his upside, and not the right mentality to be a backup. #2 QB is it's own position. You have to prepare to play like the starter every week, help with the scout team, help put together the game plan with the other guys in the QB room and support the #1 guy.

There's a reason guys like Chase Daniel and Josh McCown had such long careers. Reports out if New England suggest Jones was a toxic guy to be around and totally split the QB room to the point where Zappe was watching film with the wide receivers instead.

Also, I'mman am I glad that it looks like we have Tua for another 2/3 years at least. I do not want to get involved in drafting QBs again for a while. Looking at the list of guys taken in the first round over the last 20 years turns my stomach. Every fanbase thought they had their guy at some point. It seems likely that 6 guys could go in the first this year, how many of them are going to turn out to not be the guy? 4/5?
I have to say, so far Tua's draft class is looking pretty good for qbs. Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Jordan Love. All 4 of those look like they are going to have good and long NFL careers...

I don't know how to feel about Mac Jones, TBH. Anyone who doesn't feel sympathy for the guy that he had to be the one whose career was damaged (maybe ruined) during the Patriots fall from grace is pretty heartless. He started with a 92.5 rating and in each year thereafter things slid further into the gutter and you could see how painful it was written on his face this year. He was not having fun and that organization was a total mess.

Each year his TD% went down, his Y/A went down, his CMP% went down and his INT% went up. Literally everything got worse. To me, that's not just the player. We saw Bama in 2020 and we saw Jones' first season in 2021 when he led to team to 10-7 and got to the Playoffs and looked very good for a rookie. That's just a total lack of development.

>> Goes to show how many players never really get a fair shot at a career in the NFL.

I agree with those that say it really has nothing to do with Tua. It's 2 different people and 2 different careers. I will say though, if you're bragging that Tua lives in a better world, you really need to understand that Miami did 1,000 things to help support Tua while NE did basically everything they could to crash the plane Jones was riding. That's nothing to brag about.

As someone else said, I'd feel better if I thought NE was continuing down the same path of making bad moves.

Mac Jones is a douche canoe.

I don't know how to feel about Mac Jones, TBH. Anyone who doesn't feel sympathy for the guy that he had to be the one whose career was damaged (maybe ruined) during the Patriots fall from grace is pretty heartless. He started with a 92.5 rating and in each year thereafter things slid further into the gutter and you could see how painful it was written on his face this year. He was not having fun and that organization was a total mess.

Each year his TD% went down, his Y/A went down, his CMP% went down and his INT% went up. Literally everything got worse. To me, that's not just the player. We saw Bama in 2020 and we saw Jones' first season in 2021 when he led to team to 10-7 and got to the Playoffs and looked very good for a rookie. That's just a total lack of development.

>> Goes to show how many players never really get a fair shot at a career in the NFL.

I agree with those that say it really has nothing to do with Tua. It's 2 different people and 2 different careers. I will say though, if you're bragging that Tua lives in a better world, you really need to understand that Miami did 1,000 things to help support Tua while NE did basically everything they could to crash the plane Jones was riding. That's nothing to brag about.

As someone else said, I'd feel better if I thought NE was continuing down the same path of making bad moves.
The thread wasn't about Mac Jones himself so much as it was about the fans NE fans, and a surprising number of foolish Dolphins fans who actually thought Mac Jones was a better QB than Tua and that he would be the one with the long career as a starter while it would be Tua who flamed out and ended up as a backup.

Tua came into this league coming off of a catastrophic hip injury that impacted his confidence, and no doubt the velocity on his passes. He get's drafted by Grier who by all accounts forced him on Flores who actually wanted Jordan Love. He then gets thrust into action prematurely, before he was ready under Chan Gailey who didn't build an offense around Tua, because he didn't want to coach a rookie, so he had built his offense around Ryan Fitzpatrick a veteran. This goes about as well as one might think it would, actually better than it should have which is a testament to Tua.

Gailey then resigns because he couldn't work for Flores, and that's not what he signed up for, and then Flores continues to not be able to build an offensive staff who was capable of anything, including developing QBs, receivers, nor an offensive line who is getting any dolphins QB who lines up behind center killed. Then Flores proceeds to try and trade for serial massage therapist sexual harasser and assaulter
Dashaun Watson, and leak to anyone in the media that will listen that Tua is not a good QB. Benching him and holding him of lineups when he should'nt have, just generally handling the young QB like a bull in a china shop.

This among other things leads to that poisonous snake rat face being fired (hallelujah), and in comes Mike McDaniel who says "hey, let's build around this guy." And voila, Tua grows into a franchise QB. yes he has room to grow, but he has improved every year which is exactly what you want to see in your young franchise QB.

Tua has overcome:

*Catastrophic Hip Injury that impacted his physical ability to throw
*An asshole of a coach Flores who mishandled him, didn't want him, didn't believe in him, and tried to trade him away
*Worst offensive line in football (not in 2023, but every other year he was starting)
*concussions that could've ended his career
*And a double standard with constantly moving goal posts by the media when they judge him

and of course we've all had to endure (wait for it, here's the dismount which is the entire point of this post) all of these idiot fans from new england, and unfortunately too many of our own saying stupid things like "Mac Jones is a much better QB than Tua and we should trade for him."

And that is the point of this thread. Did Mac Jones go through some things with the patriots? Yes. Wah. So does everyone else. Tua went through much worst, and has proven that he can get up when he's knocked down and overcome adversity.

So no, I don't feel sympathy for Mac Jones. He's going to back up trevor Lawrence and make Millions of dollars a year for being mediocre at his profession. Good for him. Why would I feel sorry for that guy? Why would you?

The thread wasn't about Mac Jones himself so much as it was about the fans NE fans, and a surprising number of foolish Dolphins fans who actually thought Mac Jones was a better QB than Tua and that he would be the one with the long career as a starter while it would be Tua who flamed out and ended up as a backup.

Tua came into this league coming off of a catastrophic hip injury that impacted his confidence, and no doubt the velocity on his passes. He get's drafted by Grier who by all accounts forced him on Flores who actually wanted Jordan Love. He then gets thrust into action prematurely, before he was ready under Chan Gailey who didn't build an offense around Tua, because he didn't want to coach a rookie, so he had built his offense around Ryan Fitzpatrick a veteran. This goes about as well as one might think it would, actually better than it should have which is a testament to Tua.

Gailey then resigns because he couldn't work for Flores, and that's not what he signed up for, and then Flores continues to not be able to build an offensive staff who was capable of anything, including developing QBs, receivers, nor an offensive line who is getting any dolphins QB who lines up behind center killed. Then Flores proceeds to try and trade for serial massage therapist sexual harasser and assaulter
Dashaun Watson, and leak to anyone in the media that will listen that Tua is not a good QB. Benching him and holding him of lineups when he should'nt have, just generally handling the young QB like a bull in a china shop.

This among other things leads to that poisonous snake rat face being fired (hallelujah), and in comes Mike McDaniel who says "hey, let's build around this guy." And voila, Tua grows into a franchise QB. yes he has room to grow, but he has improved every year which is exactly what you want to see in your young franchise QB.

Tua has overcome:

*Catastrophic Hip Injury that impacted his physical ability to throw
*An asshole of a coach Flores who mishandled him, didn't want him, didn't believe in him, and tried to trade him away
*Worst offensive line in football (not in 2023, but every other year he was starting)
*concussions that could've ended his career
*And a double standard with constantly moving goal posts by the media when they judge him

and of course we've all had to endure (wait for it, here's the dismount which is the entire point of this post) all of these idiot fans from new england, and unfortunately too many of our own saying stupid things like "Mac Jones is a much better QB than Tua and we should trade for him."

And that is the point of this thread. Did Mac Jones go through some things with the patriots? Yes. Wah. So does everyone else. Tua went through much worst, and has proven that he can get up when he's knocked down and overcome adversity.

So no, I don't feel sympathy for Mac Jones. He's going to back up trevor Lawrence and make Millions of dollars a year for being mediocre at his profession. Good for him. Why would I feel sorry for that guy? Why would you?

I think you're a fan.

No offense, but I do not consider myself a fan anymore nor do I think many are. Having sat through numerous rebuilds in the decades of this post-2000 era and all the countless collapses, I'm now among the majority of those post-fandom people who are better labeled something like, on-looker, observer, interested party or just addicted viewer, LOL.

I hope for success just as much as I used to but I'm now aware of my bias and the stupidly optimistic and pro-team stuff I argued in the past. It's time for the team to prove to us they know what they're doing. My job is not to constantly defend the team regardless of their action(s). Nor is my job to rain on your parade and rob you of your optimism. So I won't....at least not directly.

I think fans script narratives to keep hope alive about a world they don't control. They script narratives to make those in control seem palatable and to defend players. I think they say unrealistic things while those players are under contract and are then quick to hate those same players when they leave. I don't think that's fair.

Players are commodities. You can't like them one day and hate them the next. You can't see one person get paid and not know someone else had that chance taken by mere fate. The NFL is not a fair place where everyone gets dealt an equal hand.

I'm done listening to these self-aggrandizing sob stories. I've been more than patient and have a wordcount that's offended a lot of people. I don't need to deconstruct another "poor-Tua" post nor would you appreciate it if I tried, bro. I get that.

Dude, be a fan as long as you can. If that's where your heart is at these days--Enjoy it.

I promise you one thing >> optimism is not an inexhaustible resource. Defending the team will reach it's climax for you, too. And you'll wake up one day having ridden the roller coaster enough times to realize it's a ride.

When you begin anticipating the ups & down accurately it just gets old. Don't mistake experience for pessimism. There is a difference.

I hope for the same stuff you do. I'm just no longer allowing the Dolphins complete influence over what I deem wise. I don't trust them anymore. So I watch them and I root for team. But the team is what we share--not what they control. The literal franchise that exists that puts money in Ross' pocket I care nothing about. The interest you and I share--that matters. And I hope, whether by luck or wisdom, you and I get rewarded for our patience.

Last edited:
I think you're a fan.

No offense, but I do not consider myself a fan anymore nor do I think many are. Having sat through numerous rebuilds in the decades of this post-2000 era and all the countless collapses, I'm now among the majority of those post-fandom people who are better labeled something like, on-looker, observer, interested party or just addicted viewer, LOL.

I hope for success just as much as I used to but I'm now aware of my bias and the stupidly optimistic and pro-team stuff I argued in the past. It's time for the team to prove to us they know what they're doing. My job is not to constantly defend the team regardless of their action(s). Nor is my job to rain on your parade and rob you of your optimism. So I won't....at least not directly.

I think fans script narratives to keep hope alive about a world they don't control. They script narratives to make those in control seem palatable and to defend players. I think they say unrealistic things while those players are under contract and are then quick to hate those same players when they leave. I don't think that's fair.

Players are commodities. You can't like them one day and hate them the next. You can't see one person get paid and not know someone else had that chance taken by mere fate. The NFL is not a fair place where everyone gets dealt an equal hand.

I'm done listening to these self-aggrandizing sob stories. I've been more than patient and have a wordcount that's offended a lot of people. I don't need to deconstruct another "poor-Tua" post nor would you appreciate it if I tried, bro. I get that.

Dude, be a fan as long as you can. If that's where your heart is at these days--Enjoy it.

I promise you one thing >> optimism is not an inexhaustible resource. Defending the team will reach it's climax for you, too. And you'll wake up one day having ridden the roller coaster enough times to realize it's a ride.

When you begin anticipating the ups & down accurately it just gets old. Don't mistake experience for pessimism. There is a difference.

I hope for the same stuff you do. I'm just no longer allowing the Dolphins complete influence over what I deem wise. I don't trust them anymore. So I watch them and I root for team. But the team is what we share--not what they control. The literal franchise that exists that puts money in Ross' pocket I care nothing about. The interest you and I share--that matters. And I hope, whether by luck or wisdom, you and I get rewarded for our patience.
This is the weirdest thing I've read on FH. Honest question....are you sober right now?

This is the weirdest thing I've read on FH. Honest question....are you sober right now?

We have to be a better franchise. Our moves have to build on each other. We have to build a culture.

I don't want my fandom to end the way the last generation's did--walking away as the franchise bottoms out at 1-15 with the Owner shedding tears over an OT win that keeps them from 0-16.

We should not be one of the sorry fanbases required year upon year to bicker among each other whether blind optimism or open negativity is more defensible.

That is not fair to us as fans. No one wants to have their optimism crushed by some guy coming in raining on their parade and I don't want to be that guy. @Kyndig wants to spin me a yarn about 'poor Tua.' Spare me the sob story. I've heard it too many times about too many players. I wrote that same article too many times before, buddy.

And for the record, Mac played at the same college, had the same coaching style undermining his pro development, threw the same WRs and had a lot of the same physical limitations that Tua does. Seeing how one can fail should wake you up to how much support Tua actually needs and how much Grier actually has to do to make this work. If that reality doesn't scare the crap out of you, I just don't think you're paying attention because Grier's track record ain't great when it comes to long-term projects.

And keep in mind, the second Tua's on another roster, the fans will hate him and scream about how much he sucks just like Tannehill. Fans are awful a lot of times. We should rise above that behavior. Fan is an insult these days. And don't act like you don't understand that.

We're not toxic people. Nobody wants to argue over mediocrity. I'm hoping this franchise takes the necessary steps in 2024. Do the hard thing. Do the unexpected thing. Make the difficult decisions. Resist the urge to mortgage the future. Stop kidding yourself (Grier) that we can win the Super Bowl with 9 months of hard work.

If we can go 1-15, if we can tank, we can think long-term.

Last edited:
We have to be a better franchise. Our moves have to build on each other. We have to build a culture.

I don't want my fandom to end the way the last generation's did--walking away as the franchise bottoms out at 1-15 with the Owner shedding tears over an OT win that keeps them from 0-16.

We should not be one of the sorry fanbases required year upon year to bicker among each other whether blind optimism or open negativity is more defensible.

That is not fair to us as fans. No one wants to have their optimism crushed by some guy coming in raining on their parade and I don't want to be that guy. @Kyndig wants to spin me a yarn about 'poor Tua.' Spare me the sob story. I've heard it too many times about too many players. I wrote that same article too many times before, buddy.

And for the record, Mac played at the same college, had the same coaching style undermining his pro development, threw the same WRs and had a lot of the same physical limitations that Tua does. Seeing how one can fail should wake you up to how much support Tua actually needs and how much Grier actually has to do to make this work. If that reality doesn't scare the crap out of you, I just don't think you're paying attention because Grier's track record ain't great when it comes to long-term projects.

And keep in mind, the second Tua's on another roster, the fans will hate him and scream about how much he sucks just like Tannehill. Fans are awful a lot of times. We should rise above that behavior. Fan is an insult these days. And don't act like you don't understand that.

We're not toxic people. Nobody wants to argue over mediocrity. I'm hoping this franchise takes the necessary steps in 2024. Do the hard thing. Do the unexpected thing. Make the difficult decisions. Resist the urge to mortgage the future. Stop kidding yourself (Grier) that we can win the Super Bowl with 9 months of hard work.

you sound like you have become very jaded, im sorry.

My point wasn’t “poor Tua” it was to counter your very own point of “poor Mac Jones”. My point which you clearly missed was to point out that Tua went through just as much as Mac Jones did, the Qb you want so much pity for, but the difference was that he made it through the other side. You were the one who was asking for sympathy for Mac Jones. I was simply pointing out why that was kind of ridiculous.

you sound like you have become very jaded, im sorry.

Jaded?

'...tired, bored or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having too much of something.'

I wouldn't say I'm jaded WRT Dolphins football. I want us as a community to share in what other fanbases have experienced: the comradery, the suspense, the adoration of franchise players, the pride of knowing a nation turns its head to your team in some big game, the pride of wearing your team's color out in public, your bearing witness to some historical season you'll remember forever, history worth talking about.

A dream like that cannot be jaded.

OTOH, can a person experience 'having had too much of' some pattern of 3-yr coaches? Yeah. Continuous resetting? Yeah.

But are you yourself not tired of those same things? We're all jaded a bit.

Last edited:
...the Qb you want so much pity for...

I think that's hyperbole and I think it's kind of your M.O. if I'm honest.

Look, I don't dislike you but IMHO I think you post in argumentative and sometimes bad faith ways. I have nothing to gain in arguing with you so I won't mostly because I think you made every attempt to try and interpret what I wrote in terms of being antagonistic. But I wasn't antagonistic. I was pointing out we should try and learn a lesson where there is one.

I think you're a follower of the team, and that's great, but I also think you show up to argue and not in a way that gets to some better understanding that the crowd benefits from. I explained what the lesson was and now you're arguing instead of furthering the discussion. You're thus moving the discussion backwards.

I just don't dig that. I find it really uncomfortable. It's the definition of negative vibes. It's not more complicated that that, really.

I think we're two different people.

Back
Top Bottom