Madison and the cap...Hey Clump | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Madison and the cap...Hey Clump

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I know people on this board have clamored for the dumping of Madison, and even one of the Sun-Sentinel guys said he must go and listed a litany of reasons why. I had read somewhere that Madison's contract had finally accelerated enough that Miami could save money by dropping him.
Clump(or anyone who is big on cap maneuverings), can you help me out on this? What would Miami save by trading/cutting Madison.
Thanks

My numbers are:

His cap hit for 2004 is $8.28 million (rounded off). His remaining bonus amortization thru the end of his contract, 2007, is $6,258,285....thus, if he's released before June 1st, 2004, it would save slightly more than $2 million in 2004 but saves nearly $9 million in 2005 and more than $9 million in 2006. It may be an option that is necessary.

He sure as hell ain't worth that kind of money. I think he's still a great cover corner - but if the receiver does catch the ball, you just can't count on Sam to make the tackle.

What if we traded him?? What kind of hit would we be looking at??

He's too pricey and he's been too inconsistent the past two years for anyone to trade for him. The only way he'd be traded is with a renegotiated contract.

Trading him would be the same as releasing him prior to June 1st, all remaining amortization gets accelerated into the League Year of the trade. I do not suspect you would get much in a trade unless he negotiated a big pay cut prior to the trade with the new team.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
No doubt, he's a candidate for a pay cut rather than outright release.
that is true, until 6/1

he will not be back at his current salary

I could see him restructuring his contract

Trading him would be the same as releasing him prior to June 1st, all remaining amortization gets accelerated into the League Year of the trade. I do not suspect you would get much in a trade unless he negotiated a big pay cut prior to the trade with the new team.

to facilitate a trade. Hey good corners are hard to come by and even though he's lost a step, he's still one of the best cover corners in the league.

Re: I could see him restructuring his contract

Originally posted by rhadaddy

to facilitate a trade. Hey good corners are hard to come by and even though he's lost a step, he's still one of the best cover corners in the league.

Then why trade him? Get him to take a pay cut for 2004 and then cut him in 2005

Re: Re: I could see him restructuring his contract

Then why trade him? Get him to take a pay cut for 2004 and then cut him in 2005

I would trade him only if we could squeeze a 1st rounder out of someone. Similar to the Lawyer Millow scenario, there are some stud corners in FA this year and with a well designed contract we could still be in a cap friendly situation. I personally think we've done a decent job draft wise (aside from this past draft) however, we need some younger studs to replace our aging vets. I also think the star players on defense aren't challenged or tested enough, and I Know that may be difficult to do that at all positions, however when you look at what both Philly and NE has done draft wise, even with street free agents, it's unbeleivable.

Back
Top Bottom