Mandich on Sports Jam | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mandich on Sports Jam

QUOTE:

"One thing I will disagree with in your last reply Alxphins is the "QB being the most important", while this is the case in some offenses it isnt the case in ours. Yes the QB has alot of responsibility but in our offense the most important person wears #34. We are a run first, run again, run often, and then run some more offense based around RW. The QB is important but all we need him to do is not make mistakes, he will rarely be asked to win us a game more often just not to lose the game. One thing to think about is that with an improved passing game we could have the other teams playing from behind forcing them to throw the ball more making them one dimensional, and playing into the stregnth of our defense. Boston will give either QB a second option down the field that wasnt there last year making the QB better. So with another weapon even Feidler should improve his game."

I see your point but I disagree. In today's game there is too much parity and you simply cannot dominate a team and win consistently without a two dimensional attack. The QB is the most important because he is the offensive leader and touches the ball on every play and the Wanny philosophy that all we want is a QB that does not make mistakes is killing this team. We need a QB that can make the big play in the 4th Quarter and win games. We saw last year what happens when we run first, run again, run often, and then run some more...the defenses stack the line and dare our QB to beat us and ours cannot. So until we find a QB who can, we are not going to go anywhere. Now don't get me wrong we do not need a QB who can throw for 350 yds a game and 3tds but we do need a QB that can take advantage of an offense if they give him the opportunity and we do not have that. In any event, Fiedler does make mistakes in the 4th Quater too often and if Feeley is not any better we are not going anywhere...See 2002 when Ricky dominated and led the league, we had a very good defense and we still did not make the playoffs. I hope you are right that Boston will help Fiedler or Feeley, but I have seen Fiedler make too many mistakes over four years and have no faith in him and well Feeley could be the key and if he is good we will be and if he is not we won't.

Todd Wade was a 2nd round pick. Here is his profile from ESPN

Height: 6-8
Weight: 315 lbs.
Pos: Offensive Tackle
Born: October 30, 1976, Greenwood, MS
Drafted: 2000, 2nd Round, 22nd Pick by Miami Dolphins.
Experience: 5 years
College: Mississippi

Alxphins maybe we should just agree to disagree. Yes Fiedler made mistakes in the 4th quarter but think about why, they put 8 in the box and stop Ricky, double up on CC, and Thompson in one on one situations was open less than my bank on Christmas. We were so one dimensional last year that it wasnt funny, with Boston now in the line up they cant put 8 in the box and afford to double team... well anyone. So if they do put 8 in the box that leaves them with 3 guys to cover Boston, McMichael,and Chambers and folks that wont get it done. If they back one out we all know what Ricky can do against 7 man fronts. So while the QB is a vital part of the game, he SHOULD have an open reciever if we are in a passing situation, making those mistakes less likely.

I see your points and they are valid and, in truth, I hope you are right and I am wrong. My only point is if it was just last year with Fiedler I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but he, in my opinion, has made mistakes at critical junctures for the last four years notwithstanding the teams win loss record. I know teams have won super bowls with equivalent or worse QB's (Trent Dilfer comes too mind) but they had other aspects of their team that were unbelieveably outstanding (Ravens D). I just saw how Brady and Dellehome played ion last years super bowl and leading up to it and I do not have the confidence that Feidler can do that. Maybe Feeley can. I think Feeley is the key and this Front Office is staking their collective futures on whether he pans out. Simply put if he is good Spielman and Wanny stay if he is a bust they are gone.

fin-atic said:
Boston: Head case making an early case for bust move of the year.

I can see your argument for every comment but this one. Boston cost us NOTHING...zip, zilch, nada....he's a freebie. If he plays as badly as he did last season or even worse he's STILL a huge upgrade over our #2 WR last season. For what he cost, if Boston plays even 8 games next season he was STILL a bargain.

fin-atic said:
I didn't say he was a bust. What I said is he is pulling some of his old crap and is a candidate if he doesn't get his act together. I think it is serious enough that it is well known that the Fins are pursuing another WR.

Thanks everyone for posting. I want to stress that I am not saying we will be that bad or that some of these guys won't pan out.

My point is that no one can say with any confidence that we are better, because most of these players are of a risky nature.

It is my answer to the many posts that keep saying "we are so much better this year".

Fact is we could be no better or worse. The reasons are there. We also could go all the way...but I think most experts and fans would be suprised.

Bottom line Fin is that anyone who makes ANY definitive statement in May about what any NFL team will do in the upcoming season is blowing smoke out their a$$. NOBODY is a lock at being improved OR being depleted. Look at the Phins Wanny's first season. We were in "rebuilding" mode according to every expert and fan, and yet we made the Playoffs. Then look at Shula's last year with a whole team full of first round picks...it's always a crap shoot and honestly anyone who says we are "definitely better" is only making themselves sound ignorant or a homer, or both. By the same token, anyone saying we have no shot is doing the same thing. ALL anyone can say is that we have more question marks this season than a lot of other teams. We have a LOT of unknowns. For me, I'd say that the presence of 5 young players on the O-line who have never played with each other will PROBABLY lead to big troubles early on, and keep us from going TOO deep in the Playoffs. Probably. By the same token, if that young talent steps up, we could have a GREAT O-line for years to come starting next season. Bottom line, this season is a crap shoot...lots of upside, lots of downside. I'm going to reserve my trashtalking until the preseason is over at least...but I'm also going to reserve my funeral shroud until then as well.

Quote:

"Bottom line, this season is a crap shoot...lots of upside, lots of downside. I'm going to reserve my trashtalking until the preseason is over at least...but I'm also going to reserve my funeral shroud until then as well."

I agree with your post. Great points.

Alxphins said:
Simply put if he is good Spielman and Wanny stay if he is a bust they are gone.

Now, Alxphins, really...

If (referring to Feeley) he is a bust, Spielman is gone? Not after just one year. He has made Feeley (who has a great upside) AVAILABLE to Wanny to groom into a future QB for this franchise.

Ultimately it will be the COACHING (coupled with the decision to play him and STICK with him) and not the ACQUISITION of a player (despite the 'high' price tag) that will determine the fate of said player.

Look at how Spielman's other 'recommendations' for potential players have panned out in past years (i.e. Anquan Boldin)...who overturned him? You know who. Are you saying Feeley doesn't have the talent? If so, you question Spielman's ability as a personnel evaluator. Then, my friend, step in and do the job yourself.

In the end...I say Spielman stays, Wanny goes.

Now, DolfinDonny really....

Spielman has made it very clear that he did all of this high-level analysis and evaluation saying that Feeley was the best guy available (justifying his move to act quickly after losing out on Brunnel and not waiting to see what came up)...so yes IF HE IS A BUST Spielman is in a world of hurt. Look Spielman took a risk with Feeley and there is a risk/reward component to it. If he pans out all will say he is a great GM and they should comend him as I will. However, conversely, it is only fair, if you take that big a risk and fail you should be criticized commensurate to the amount of praise you would have received if it worked. Believe me they will try to play him given what they gave for him and the fact that the owner thinks he is the next Marino. Please don't tell me that Wayne expects him to sit behind Fiedler. Obviously Fiedler is not the answer (unless you have not been paying attention for the last several years) and if he does not beat out Fiedler and ends up being our backup QB heads Wayne will not be happy and he will be considered a bust.

By the way how do you know Feeley, a third stringer behind Koy Detmer, has a great upside? Spielman may or may not be a great evaluator but I am somewhat reticent, at this time to anoint him the second coming of Bill Walsh or Ron Wolf because he was right on Anquan Boldin (Hell Wanny was even right about some of his picks.) In other words, the last time I checked he was involved in the Dolphins recent drafts and free agency signings (do you know what he thought about Darius Thompson?), which have been not very good and you can't tell me that you believe he disagreed with Wanny on every pick, unless you reside in la la land.

I could care less about talent. Hell few QB's had the talent of Jeff George and look where he is. What I am saying is I don't know if (not that he can't) Feeley has the ability to play QB in this league and my concerns stem from the fact that he was 3RD STRING at Philly and, in my opinion, that is a legitimate concern. (for example if we would have picked up Garcia, Couch or Collins I would know that they have DEMONSTRATED the ability to win a starting job and play in this league on a consistent basis). All I am saying is that the fact that he could not beat out Koy Detmer, raises the possibility that maybe, just maybe he might not become a good starting NFL QB that is it. If you desire to blindly follow Spielman and you can guarantee the Feeley will be a stud franchise QB for this franchise well please enlighten me as to how you seem to know more than most (by the way I hope you are right). Because last time I checked there were many more experienced personnel people than Speilman that have missed on QBS (Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Akili Smith all of whom had more "talent" than Feeley). Also, last time I checked as a fan I had the right to question Spielman's ability as a personnel evaluator, which is part of being a fan. That is the right to be happy about your team, to criticize your team, etc. The comment about why don’t I do it myself, is inane and not deserving of a response.

Back
Top Bottom