Mandich on Sports Jam | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mandich on Sports Jam

fin-atic said:
Where is the talent upgraded? Please give specifics not specualtion. The way I see it there is no one on paper with facts that isn't a gamble. Perhaps Jeno James is the most stable aquisition. And he has only had one solid year.

AJ: Big gamble. 5 pro starts and all wins against losing teams. Only 8 college starts.

Carey: Rookie needs to learn the Pro game and may be an effective NFL starter or not.

Smith: Up and down rookie year. At times solid at times embarrassing. Which way will he go?

McKinney: Only won the center job due to Ruddy's age, but has been unable to beat him out for proior years.

McIntosh: Injured and questionable return this year

St. Clair: Backup who has yet to prove he can start

Boston: Head case making an early case for bust move of the year.

I think anyone who keeps saying "we are better" as I keep reading, is not reading the facts and are hoping that the changes pan out.

I for one feel more sceptical about this year. I think it would be easier to make the leap of faith on these unknown entities if I trusted the Dolphin braintrust more. But I have zero confidence in Wanny and Speilman.

Question marks always exist. You could probably take the AFC or NFC probowl roster and come up with a question mark for everyone of those players. If you want guarantees then go look somewhere else b/c they don't exist in the NFL.

finregime said:
Every offense revolves around the QB!!
LOL! Yea, I know alot of people believe that...but, many offenses actually feature the RB as the centerpiece of the offense by design.

The Dolphins perfect season is a perfect example.

fin-atic said:
Last night on Sunday Night Sports Jam with Jimmy Cefalo and Jim Mandich, Mandich said this is the most bizarre offseason in the history of the Doilphins. Between the Marino thing, the O Coordinator, Ricky's pot thing, all of it is unsettling.

I agree. I have been a fan for 34 years and can not remember so much uncertainty and irratic activity.

This is not what we are use to from out team. The Dolphins have long been considered one of the elite organizations in the NFL. I hope this all does not translate to poor performance on the field.

Regardless of what happens this year, we need stability in this oganization.
Lets hope Wayne brings this thing under control.

We will probably win the SB because of it. :D When it's normal it doesn't happen.

Fin-atice I had already posted this on the thread May 16th - Ch 10 News

Quote:
"Question marks always exist. You could probably take the AFC or NFC probowl roster and come up with a question mark for everyone of those players. If you want guarantees then go look somewhere else b/c they don't exist in the NFL."​

I agree that there are no guarantees in the NFL, but there is a significant difference between getting a proven player (woody, tait, turley, sammy knight etc.) versus getting an unproven player (feeley, St. Clair, Mintocsh -- becuase of the injury, McKinney, Jerman, Whitley) and relying on an unproven player to come through at a number of positions, including quarterback. In my opinion we are "reaching" at too many position with the hope that we just happen to find "diamonds in the rough." Maybe it will work but the odds are against us.

PhinstiGator said:
Imagine 1974 ish when Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, And Paul Warfield all left the Dolphins to join the World league because of a contract dispute.

Now that was bizzare.

I'm glad I was too young to remember that.
What a tear jerker that must have been!

fin-atic said:
Last night on Sunday Night Sports Jam with Jimmy Cefalo and Jim Mandich, Mandich said this is the most bizarre offseason in the history of the Doilphins. Between the Marino thing, the O Coordinator, Ricky's pot thing, all of it is unsettling.

I agree. I have been a fan for 34 years and can not remember so much uncertainty and irratic activity.

This is not what we are use to from out team. The Dolphins have long been considered one of the elite organizations in the NFL. I hope this all does not translate to poor performance on the field.

Regardless of what happens this year, we need stability in this oganization.
Lets hope Wayne brings this thing under control.

No doubt it has been a very weird off-season.

Oliver...

Alxphins said:
Quote:
"Question marks always exist. You could probably take the AFC or NFC probowl roster and come up with a question mark for everyone of those players. If you want guarantees then go look somewhere else b/c they don't exist in the NFL."​

I agree that there are no guarantees in the NFL, but there is a significant difference between getting a proven player (woody, tait, turley, sammy knight etc.) versus getting an unproven player (feeley, St. Clair, Mintocsh -- becuase of the injury, McKinney, Jerman, Whitley) and relying on an unproven player to come through at a number of positions, including quarterback. In my opinion we are "reaching" at too many position with the hope that we just happen to find "diamonds in the rough." Maybe it will work but the odds are against us.

Woody and Tait and Turley get over it. Yes I think we all recognize they are better than what we signed. But the question is are they that much better to warrant extremely overpaying for them? Or for that matter warranting costing us other players as well? Funny how everyone is boohooing that we overpaid for feeley yet were all pizzed off that we didnt overpay for woody and Tait. Funny how that works?!?!! Yeah I know woody and tait are proven, but they also have peaked, there upside is limited because they already hit their ceiling, which is very good but not as good as what they got paid. Miami furiously bid and countered Detroit for woody until they reached a point they felt it was too high to pay, sorry cant fault that logic. Tait said over and over he didnt want to play here, so for us to get him, we would have had to throw fort knox at him, all for someone that didnt want to be here, not my kind of player. Who could we have gotten that was a sure thing at qb? Go ahead and name Collins and Couch, but apparantly 29 to 30 teams disagree with you, same with Warner. Why is it you guys feel you are smarter than 32 GMs in teh league?

We've heard crying about the same ole same ole for years now. Finally something different is happening. I think I'll just enjoy the ride.

No matter how it ends, it's all good.

If the bad luck and apparent incompetance continues, then the season will fizzle out like usual. That will lead to new leadership in one form or another and a renewed and hopefully united fanbase. One with hope in a new leader.

There is no doubt that this current regime has fractured the fanbase more than any other, for that, I agree that it would be time for them to go.

On the other hand, if the weird off season somehow bonds this team together. If whispers around the league piss enough players off, maybe it will be the glue that holds a championship team together. Stranger things have happened but, you can't deny that some adversity has been a part of many championship runs.

What doesn't kill you, can make you stronger.

Facts? Aint got any.

Hope? I Always have.

Quote:

"Woody and Tait and Turley get over it. Yes I think we all recognize they are better than what we signed. But the question is are they that much better to warrant extremely overpaying for them? Or for that matter warranting costing us other players as well? Funny how everyone is boohooing that we overpaid for feeley yet were all pizzed off that we didnt overpay for woody and Tait. Funny how that works?!?!! Yeah I know woody and tait are proven, but they also have peaked, there upside is limited because they already hit their ceiling, which is very good but not as good as what they got paid. Miami furiously bid and countered Detroit for woody until they reached a point they felt it was too high to pay, sorry cant fault that logic. Tait said over and over he didnt want to play here, so for us to get him, we would have had to throw fort knox at him, all for someone that didnt want to be here, not my kind of player. Who could we have gotten that was a sure thing at qb? Go ahead and name Collins and Couch, but apparantly 29 to 30 teams disagree with you, same with Warner. Why is it you guys feel you are smarter than 32 GMs in teh league"

First I mention Woody and tait because they not just better than the players we signed, you are talking about young pro bowl caliber players (they are only 26 I would not say they peaked) that are MUCH better than St. Clair and right now worlds better than McIntosh because we don't know what he will be like when he comes back from his injury (see Dixon and Nails). Maybe for once I would like to see us overpay since we ALWAYS underpay and it has gotten us NOWHERE. You can only get so far by going on the cheap. You cannot compare Tait and Woody to Feeley......see the reason is that Tait and Woody actually earned starting jobs in this league and Feely could not earn a back up spot. So yes complaining about overpaying for Feeley is a little different!

But lets forget about tait and woody because there were reasons (primarily that Tait did not want to play here) we did not sign them. How about Turley -- no effort to pick him up and Welbourne (from philly a young gaurd).

As for QB we could have gotten a much much much much much more proven player without giving up a 2ND ROUND PICK. Jeff Garcia was available and all he did was go to the pro bowl oh yeah and collins lead his team to the super bowl....Feeley well he could not beat out Koy detmer! Look I hope I am wrong about Feeley but our philosphy is such that we are banking on Feeley, St. Clair, Jerman, Mckinney etc to all play better than they ever have and all of a sudden becomes good starters in this league. I can see one or two but all of them? Oh yeah McIntosh has to recover from an ankle injury and do the same (again ask Dixon about that). Look you can say what ever you want about the acquisitions, they may end up being the best moves ever made.....but without a doubt this off season the front office has made the Dolphins look very inept and unorganized (no excuse for not knowing about the McIntosh injury) and that is what scares me because where there is smoke there is usually fire. Several years ago my friend in Chicago told me that Wanny would do this to our organization and I did not want to believe him...he looks like he was right.

rafael said:
Question marks always exist. You could probably take the AFC or NFC probowl roster and come up with a question mark for everyone of those players. If you want guarantees then go look somewhere else b/c they don't exist in the NFL.

Got em!!! :D

No doubt this offseason has been very bizarre, but I got a gut feeling we'll be fine, as long as its not Fiedler under center this year. Every offseason I get the feeling that the coming season is going to be dissapointing, but I dont feel that way this year for some reason. We'll be ok, and if we're not, thats fine, theres always the year after, and the year after. And if this year is a disaster, things will work out because Wanny will be gone(hopefully) and some other changes will be made. Dont worry so much. Every year we have optimism from the media then it fades away during the year. Now everyone thinks the season is done already and yet it doesnt begin until September. Maybe this time things will change.

Alxphins said:
Quote:
... St. Clair, Jerman, Mckinney etc to all play better than they ever have and all of a sudden becomes good starters in this league. I can see one or two but all of them? Oh yeah McIntosh has to recover from an ankle injury and do the same (again ask Dixon about that)....

Is there a reason that you didn't mention the names Jeno James or Vernon Carey?

clear.gif

Comparing Feeley to woody and tait is stupid, sorry, 2 diff positions. Secondly McNabb is an all-pro, so that is diff as well. We all know there are questions with feeley but comparing o-line to qb is ridiculous. Tait wasnt coming here unles we threw so much money at him like SEAttle did with Winstrom, sorry that is stupid and would have killed us in negotiations with Wale, CC for that matter. James is solid, Mac will be back by week 4, Carey is a stud all in all we got a solid lineup plus depth rather than a better starting lineup and no depth. The diff is not that wide considering there was no chjance we were going to sign both. so you figure by signing ONE of them we eliminate 3 to 4 other p;layers, sorry Woody was not THAT good. That is my opinion.

As far as Feeley goes still waiting who was actually available that was a better risk?

fin-atic said:
Boston: Head case making an early case for bust move of the year.
How can you say Boston is the bust move of the year? He didn't cost us much of anything. The reward oppotuntiy is much greater than the risk. :shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom