Manning Poll | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manning Poll

Will Manning hold up the Chargers jersey if he drafted by them with the 1st pick?

• Yes. He's a class act.

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • No. He will disrespect the chargers and nfl.

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
yeah having ladanian is a nice luxury for a rookie qb.

I also meant to mention that I also strongly believe that San Diego is the leading contender to be the team that moves to LA. That takes away the endorsement rationale that some people advanced earlier for the Giants move. Being the man on the one LA team would have to be better than being the man on the New Jersey team once the Jets move back into the city...

Jimmy James said:
What you're suggesting is pure arrogance on the part of the Mannings. It's a draft -- not a situation where the player gets to pick his team. I seriously doubt it came down to just, "Eli would rather not be here," either. My best guess is that the Mannings expressed concern, the team attempted to satisfy them, and the Mannings continued to act as though they owned the league by contacting other teams and trying to orchestrate things. This innocent little conversation you're painting is pure fantasy in my opinion.

I guess we just see this differently. To me it seems pretty clear that the Chargers can draft who ever they want. Manning can sign or not sign as he chooses. If he doesn't want to sign with the Chargers, that doesn't make him a punk to me. If he tells them that ahead of time quietly, that seems reasonable to me.

From what I understand, Archie Manning spent years running for his life in NO and doesn't want his son to be in the same situation.

But, it's fine with me if you see it different.

PhinKev,

I also meant nothing personal. My goal was to get my opinion out there. I can understand how reasonable people could see it differently. After all, none of us were in the room when any of this happened...

Jimmy James said:
What you're suggesting is pure arrogance on the part of the Mannings. It's a draft -- not a situation where the player gets to pick his team. I seriously doubt it came down to just, "Eli would rather not be here," either. My best guess is that the Mannings expressed concern, the team attempted to satisfy them, and the Mannings continued to act as though they owned the league by contacting other teams and trying to orchestrate things. This innocent little conversation you're painting is pure fantasy in my opinion.

I disagree. The part about the Mannings contacting other teams is the part that sounds like pure fantasy.

Jimmy James said:
PhinKev,

I also meant nothing personal. My goal was to get my opinion out there. I can understand how reasonable people could see it differently. After all, none of us were in the room when any of this happened...

I was there! I saw it all! :D

I come here to talk about the Dolphins and football. If everyone thought the same as me, I'd just talk to myself and save the electric.

I think your right though. We will never know. But, it should be fun watching tomorrow.

I bet they trade the pick. I think the Chargers leaked the comment because they want out the the pick and this gives them cover. But then, I like conspiracies. :cooldude:

rafael said:
I disagree. The part about the Mannings contacting other teams is the part that sounds like pure fantasy.

I don't have first-hand knowledge of it, so it may be fantasy. It was reported here at some point in the past few weeks, though. If it was happening way back then, I could certainly see how the Chargers would eventually tire of it and expose what was going on.

PhinKev said:
You think that it is wrong for a guy to say to a team without any press that he doesn't like your organization and would prefer not to be drafted by you.

I'd call that honest. This gives the Chargers a chance to trade down or pick another player or even try and convince Manning that it can work. Or, simply take the guy and figure it out later.

It became a big deal when the Chargers "leaked" it to make the Mannings look bad. Even then, the Mannings refused to badmouth the Chargers with the reasons they don't like the organization, though I imagine most of us who follow the AFC could tell you.

That's when the Mannings said they want nothing to do with the Chargers, which makes sense. Why would they want to deal with a management that takes private conversations and leaks them to make you look bad.

I can understand to a point what Eli Manning / family were doing as far as their intentions but as others have pointed out,, this IS a draft and just because J Elway :boohoo: and got his wish doesn't mean that the trend should continue !!!!!

You would have to be very sheltered in thinking that a team that has been given an ultimatum would not go public with it ... Really all this has done is put a gigantic negative spotlite on Eli and shown him to be somewhat self centered ...

If a player can pick the team he wants to play on in a draft then why have a draft ???

:shakeno:

Marino1983

Marino1983 said:
I can understand to a point what Eli Manning / family were doing as far as their intentions but as others have pointed out,, this IS a draft and just because J Elway :boohoo: and got his wish doesn't mean that the trend should continue !!!!!

You would have to be very sheltered in thinking that a team that has been given an ultimatum would not go public with it ... Really all this has done is put a gigantic negative spotlite on Eli and shown him to be somewhat self centered ...

If a player can pick the team he wants to play on in a draft then why have a draft ???

:shakeno:

Marino1983

I can tell I'm in the minority on this one. But, I'm stilll right :) :escape:

Cant people be happy to be in the greatest football league in the world and become a multimillionaire anymore??? Well I guess if ur a Manning u expect to play in the NFL and make millions, and even on top of that pick the team that drafts u.

PhinKev said:
I can tell I'm in the minority on this one. But, I'm stilll right :) :escape:

Hey, Andrew Jackson said, "one man with courage is a majority." Of course, he slaughtered Indians by the thousand and attacked British-held New Orleans 3 weeks after the War of 1812 was over, but never mind that... :lol:

But, I'm in the minority with you, PhinKev. The way I see it, Archie and Eli had a legitimate beef with the direction of the Chargers' organization. Rather than work those concerns out privately (which they could have) and show Eli that there is a direction for the team, they chose to leak it to make the Mannings look like jerks. Never mind that it was a poor negotiating tactic (the Chargers may as well have taken out an ad in the SD Union Tribune that said "WILL TRADE #1 PICK") that reduced their leverage, they make a clusterfudge out of a situation that could have been easily resolved.

Wouldn't it be a slap in the face if the Chargers decided to make Rivers the #1 pick in the draft, and thus make Eli the #2 at best! I'd rather Rivers have a chance to fall to us, but I would find that rather funny... however it wouldn't bode well for Rivers. Remember the last time they passed on a manning, and drafted a QB?

Talking about fantasy. This is probably pure speculation. If you think about it both Mannings wouldn't be able to go to the same Super Bowl playing in the AFC. By going to the NFC maybe there is that chance of a Manning vs. Manning Super Bowl. How the press would love that. I know that this probably in their thinking but makes a bit of sense. I always despised Elway for not going to the Colts. I always liked the Mannings but to be like this is chickens***. To me you go play for the team that drafts you. If you don't like it after your contract is up then you become a freeagent and sign where you want to go. I can see this becoming a big mess in the future.

Jimmy James said:
I sadly think the answer may be that Tags forces a trade and Manning holds up a Giants jersey when he is picked #1.

That's my cynical suspicion as well.

While watching ESPN just now, something came to me:

Since when does Eli give a crap about how good the team he is on is? He went to Ole Miss!!! I love the SEC as much as anybody, but the Rebs are down there with the Wildcats and the Commodores when it comes to football. This would be like Tim Couch objecting to the Browns when he played for Bill Curry in Kentucky!

Back
Top Bottom