Manny Lawson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manny Lawson

RUDEbyallMEANS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Manny Lawson played DE for N.C State on the other side of DE Mario Williams. I read Lawsons' profile on nflfans.com and have him listed as an outside linebacker and emphasize that he would be excellent in the 3-4 as an outside linebacker. This guy is said to be very, very quick.

Since we're drafting 17th (16th if Vikings beat Bears), I doubt this guy will be around even though he's not being touted that high YET. Players with his size and speed shoot up draft charts like Merriman and Demarcus Ware did last year as well as DJ Williams from UM 2 years ago.

Boomer, what are your thoughts about this kid? This guy is a Jason Taylor clone that would definetely be hard to pass up when picking 16 or 17th.

Game just finished less than 2 hours ago and we're already starting the endless "draft this guy" threads?

:lol:

i've seen the guy play a few times....he gets to the QB quick...real quick...

I was just skimming through nflfans.com player profiles and came across this guy.

Have to admit, this is one interesting player.

I think we may have interest in him because he is basically the closet player in terms of play style and build to Jason Taylor out there.

i can't wait to see what players decide to split this board in half this year. it was a lot of fun witnessing the constant bickering over whose better between ronnie and cedric.

Saban4prez said:
i can't wait to see what players decide to split this board in half this year. it was a lot of fun witnessing the constant bickering over whose better between ronnie and cedric.

:lol: I agree. It makes it much more interesting being a member of finheaven than just reading obscure newspaper articles and catching ESPN's limited information on our team. :rolleyes:

Where would we play him though? JT still has a few good years left, and Kevin Carter seems to have a handle on things on the opposite side, with Roth waiting in the wings. Unless we would convert him to a full time OLB, I don't see the point.

The Ronnie and Cadillac comparisons were the best last year.

I was on Cadillacs side, but as we all know you couldn't go wrong with either Auburn RB.

if i had to guess we'll probably see a lot of bickering over LB's this year. Like this guy, or greenway, or whomever.

Caps said:
Where would we play him though? JT still has a few good years left, and Kevin Carter seems to have a handle on things on the opposite side, with Roth waiting in the wings. Unless we would convert him to a full time OLB, I don't see the point.

I think if we got Lawson, it would have to be in the second round or something, and he would be used as a project/situational player until Taylor retires.

Physically, Jason Taylor, and Manny Lawson have the ability to play every down linebacker. They are fast enough, and have the right builds for it. It's just a matter of learning. Saban has been none too shy about teaching and altering positions.

Until Lawson can take the reigns over from JT, I dont think there is any reason why he cant be a situational player. He could take over for David Bowens on Nickel/Dime packages, and play OLB in the 3-4.

Disgustipate said:
I think if we got Lawson, it would have to be in the second round or something, and he would be used as a project/situational player until Taylor retires.

Physically, Jason Taylor, and Manny Lawson have the ability to play every down linebacker. They are fast enough, and have the right builds for it. It's just a matter of learning. Saban has been none too shy about teaching and altering positions.

Until Lawson can take the reigns over from JT, I dont think there is any reason why he cant be a situational player. He could take over for David Bowens on Nickel/Dime packages, and play OLB in the 3-4.

The learning process point you made is a good one, but if he matures as did Crowder, he could be played at OLB opposite side of Jason Taylor.

That would leave us with a 3-4 LB look of Taylor, Zach, Crowder and Lawson. With Taylor and Lawsons ability to pass rush, opponents would have to guess which one is going after the QB.

Manny Lawson will shoot up draft boards after the combine with his physical abilities. How far will he shoot up is the question.

Back
Top Bottom