Manuel and Davis Link.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manuel and Davis Link....

phinfan2003 said:
Do you think Saban will use a 3rd round draft choice (where I've heard Manuel may possibly go) on a player who may not help us until 2006? From what I hear, this guy is a high risk/high reward guy. The fact that he's had trouble keeping his weight down makes me question his discipline and his commitment to his craft.
Our next third round draft pick isn't until 2006, so yes I would expect Saban to use a 3rd round draft choice on someone who wouldn't help us until 2006.
:goof:

Losman7 said:
I'm not sure if he couldn't contribute right away to whichever team drafts him. Granted, most rookies need time to develop and few start their first year. He would also be a little behind in his first year compared to other rookies. But if you are building for the future, Wright has the kind of talent that a team will take a chance on, maybe as high as the second round.

His talent, combined with the fact that DT's are at a premium, will make him a higher pick than a lot of people expect IMO. A gamble? Certainly, but teams gamble high picks on DT's all the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its not that i don't think th e guy will be good, or that a 2nd would be a waste on him. But if Saban is looking for imediate help, he isn't your answer IMO.[/QUOTE]

It's a very small sample but he provides something the Dolphins haven't had in a DT for several years. That something is the ability to penetrate and make plays across the line of scrimmage. That's a high value ability. Of course it's tempered by many of the other well known factors about him.

No one can say with any conviction as to whether or not he will be able to contribute in his rookie year. I will say if he's drafted by the Dolphins he's certainly going to be counted on to do so. That expectation will only grow if Chester remains unable to play in '05.

Its not that i don't think th e guy will be good, or that a 2nd would be a waste on him. But if Saban is looking for imediate help, he isn't your answer IMO.[/QUOTE]

I think Saban is looking down the line more than for immediate help. I'm sure he considers this a building project that might take 2-3 years. Miami has too many question marks to realistically compete for the playoffs this year. That said, I still think Wright could contribute right away, probably not as a starter (maybe late in the year), but coming off the bench.

Back
Top Bottom