Marcus Spriggs Released... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marcus Spriggs Released...

TACKLE DEPTH???

Originally posted by finfan54

i think you may be judging a bit too early. i think we are much more stornger up front than last year. spencer falou? cmon. we have a good backup center now and searcy. Nails at LG will bring some defenite power to teh line. these guys need time to gel.
I disagree, it wasn't hard to be much better that that group last year!! As for this year, I'm sorry I just don't feel comfortable with the O-LINE Especially the depth at TACKLE!!! BRENT SMITH went down, now you have alot of GREEN , UNPROVEN players!! Games are won in the trenches and I am just a bit concerned!!!

Re: It has more to do with RW's than the OL...

Originally posted by Oliver
... any offensive coach will tell you the HB makes the OL. It's so rare to have a situation like they had in Denver those few years where it didn't matter who you put behind that OL. But one could argue it all started when they got T. Davis that gave them all that confidence.

Football is 90% mental, it always has been and always will be. Especially in the NFL where each team is so closely matched as far as talent.

Oliver...

well which offensive coach told you that one? gary stevens :)

i think thats ridiculous.

you need talent up front and confidence.

Re: It has more to do with RW's than the OL...

Originally posted by Oliver
... any offensive coach will tell you the HB makes the OL. It's so rare to have a situation like they had in Denver those few years where it didn't matter who you put behind that OL. But one could argue it all started when they got T. Davis that gave them all that confidence.

Football is 90% mental, it always has been and always will be. Especially in the NFL where each team is so closely matched as far as talent.

Oliver...

I've herd you say this before and I have to put my two cents in here. I can see where a very good line might look Great because of the Rb, but not make the line, period.

One quote that stands out in my mind to kind of counter yours is that "the game of football is won in the trenches".

To be a real good line might not require everyone of them to be probowlers but the one thing they must do is Gell together as one, knowing each partners every move..... his strengths and weaknesses.

Having that Rb that can take them to the next level surely helps, but not a line does he make. :)

Depends. If you consider the San Diego OL "made" (when did this turn into the Sopranos?) then the original statement is correct because there's no doubt that LaDainian Tomlinson "made" that OL. But I personally don't consider that OL to be "made". I consider that LT ran for a lot of yards and caught a lot of balls behind one of the worst OLs in the league...largely thanks to LT being really good, and largely thanks to Norv Turner.

I think in today's NFL for the most part you can tell when a RB is having success "despite" his OL, and when a RB is having success "because of" his OL. The only x factor is like Ricky said where a good RB helps an OL's confidence because they know they don't have to make their blocks perfect in order for him to gain yards...if they keep puttin too much pressure on themselves they might choke and screw up the block and all it takes usually is one bad OL block to make a play not happen. Gotta crawl and walk before ya run.

The Denver OL was as good as it was for one reason alone. The OL coach. Widely respected as the best OL coach in the biz...PERIOD.

CUTBLOCKS!!

Don't forget about DENVER'S INFAMOUS CUTBLOCKS!!! Who knows how many knees and ankles they took over that 5or 6 year span until now!!Their OL COACH teaches thisblocking technique all the time!! I know they got BRYAN COX last year and I recall JIMMY bringing it to the LEAGUE OFFICIAL'S attention before the 99' opener against the BRONCOS!! Irony here is the knee injuries to DAVIS and GARY!!! What goes around comes around I guess!!!

They did legal cutblocks. It was brought to the leagues attention and the league refused to crack down on them. They tightened the rule a little bit, and the Denver OL STILL hardly ever got called for it and still were awesome. They got Bryan Cox AFTER the Denver OL coach left the team. He's been retired for over a year now. He was a damn great OL coach and I wish we had him in Miami.

Originally posted by chevysales
yea what ozzy said.

i hate to agree with oliver {and won't this time :)}
then i go and read the miami herald today and what does tony wise say? the same thing oliver said.

LOL..............I read the same article but still I'm not sold on it nor Wise.

I think it is a blend of every position involved....no way does a great running back make a lousy O-line great, no way!

Back
Top Bottom