Marino Impressed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino Impressed

Carolina_Dolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Marino, general manager Rick Spielman and coach Dave Wannstedt sat near each other for much of Monday's workout and watched Losman, North Carolina State's Philip Rivers and Virginia's Matt Schaub -- the three quarterbacks on the South roster.

Losman and Rivers, both of whom have been projected as high-round draft picks, got most of the attention.

''They both looked pretty good,'' said Marino, who has been keeping busy since his appointment last week. He was in Foxboro, Mass., on Sunday working for CBS at the AFC Championship Game.

He was particularly impressed with Rivers, noting his ``really strong arm.''

The 6-5 Rivers, who was more impressive during rudimentary drills, has an odd release point -- near his ear -- but delivers the ball quickly.

''I don't think that's something you can change when somebody is this age,'' Marino said. ``I think most any coach would tell you that.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7750981.htm

I read on NFL draft blitz that rivers was eli manning basically. I think to get Rivers would be the deal at this point. My thinking is that we do whatever it takes to get that guy.

Hmmm.... I'm beginning to get the feeling Fiedler will be around next year.

''Decisions are going to have to be made,'' he said. ``You look at Jay, and with Jay do you maybe bring in one of these young guys? Sage [Rosenfels] has really developed, too. There are just so many different options at this point.''

What does Marino know about arm strength?? Surely he was mistaken. ;)

Speilman......said Rivers had the best day of the three passers and that it was fair to describe Losman as erratic.

That's what I love about Rivers. Doesn't matter who's watching or what the situation. He performs well.

Originally posted by phinphanphrommi
Hmmm.... I'm beginning to get the feeling Fiedler will be around next year.

''Decisions are going to have to be made,'' he said. ``You look at Jay, and with Jay do you maybe bring in one of these young guys? Sage [Rosenfels] has really developed, too. There are just so many different options at this point.''

As long as we draft a rookie, and it is made clear that Fiedler is just there until that rookie is ready to go, and he takes a hefty pay cut, I'm ok with him starting again. I know I know, I don't think we'll geta nywhere with him, but we do need a QB, Sage is very unproven. I'd prefer Brunelle, but if we can't sign him, I don't think we'll have a choice

Then again, we have a choice between Jay and Griese....which do you take? You can take Griese who will now have a year in the system, instead of coming on late (it was a lot to ask of him to start last year), and when given time has proven he can make great throws, and good reads, but crummbles under the rush. IF the O-line shows up, I'd be more accepting of Greise behind center. That way I know 1. He may flop (like Jay), but at hte same time 2. He has a big upside (jay doesn't).

Griese is easier to cut though... a LOT easier to cut. considering miami needs some $ to get under the cap asap. he's gotta go..

I wonder if he'll have trouble getting picked up like last year, or if his early release will help him. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back for the min. to compete for the starting spot.

Back
Top Bottom