Marino Info I had not heard. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino Info I had not heard.

Bowl_Bound

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was in the ESPN Zone in NYC this weekend and spoke with the bartender about Marino. It seems this guy went to Pitt and played as a walk on. As I am sure you all know one of the reasons Marino's draft stock fell was because of his USFL offer. It seems that Marino wanted to play for the Steelers (being a Pittsburg guy through and through) but Knoll wanted none of it. The rumor around the NFL was Marino was heavy into coke and that was the reason he had a subpar, comparitively, senior season. Lucky for us, but I hope this isn't true. Marino has and will be my all time favorite player, but its unfortunate to hear something like this. Anyone else ever hear this???

Yeah that was a widespread rumor around the time of the draft. Not that he was a "heavy" user, but that he tested positive at a pre draft drug test....

Old news really, and nothing that ever resurfaced after his pro carreer began.

Unfortunately I heard something about this from a friend of mine who attended Pitt about 3 years ago. Marino was there for a football game and then after the game he was around campus at night and he was pretty high on coke I guess. It was disappointing to hear something like that because I don't want anything to ruin how I view Dan as a person. But thats what I heard...

Mikefan22 here! Yes I heard the same thing around and alittle before the draft! We all have something in our past!Thank God Miami didn't buy into it to much!!

I went to FSU back in 92-94 and one of my friends (a couple years older) was from Penn. He was a pretty big/muscular guy and his older brother used to play for Pitt. the same time as Marino. He told me all this (thread subject) back in 92. I'm not going to rag the guy out, but I heard this 12 years ago from a guy who's brother played with Marino in college.

Take it as you may and that was 20 years ago for his college career.

The joke after the '83 draft was that Shula had started the rumor so Marino would slip.

Originally posted by rafael
The joke after the '83 draft was that Shula had started the rumor so Marino would slip.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love for that to be true. Either way sorry to bring up old and sad news. It was new to me.:(

Hey Dread did you live in Rochester back when Marino was here for the Charity baseball game at Silver Stadium? That night he was down outside the Penny Arcade with Meatloaf sigining autographs, they also went into the Bounty Harbor(I think that is what it was called then), I was so pissed I was down there earleir and had left just a few hours before he was there.

At that time I only lived about 3 minutes from the arcade too, wish somebody would of told me I would of been down there in a second.

who cares? :D

you sound like a presidential candidate that is bringing up some part of a past that is totally unrelated to the election campaign ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasnt it Joe Montana that was into Coke and Dan liked Pepsi??

Back
Top Bottom