Marino not Elway the comeback king? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino not Elway the comeback king?

I'm proud to say that I was in attendance at Marino's largest comeback. :)

i remember a lot of those games, my facv was the shootout wit bledsoe in 94, i was like 8 and i was going crazy....u gotta love dolphisn football

Marino truly is the king of QB's. :aj:

:allhail:

Originally posted by Muck
I'm proud to say that I was in attendance at Marino's largest comeback. :)

Largest 4th quarter, or largest altogether? The Cleveland playoff game in '86 was actually an 18 point deficit - we were down 21-3 earlier in the game and won 24-21 - it's only a 4 point 4th quarter deficit, but it was a big comeback. I was at that game and the Orange Bowl rocked!

The Chiefs game was a great one also. My favorite pass/catch of all time. Miami trailing 16-10, late, down about the Chiefs 10, Marino rips a shin high (no exaggeration) bullet on a comeback out to Clayton (the only place it could be thrown and not interecepted), and he snags it as his foot plants, turns on a dime and waltz's into the end-zone (the CB went to deflect the pass and could not recover). Awesome stuff.

I've always thought Marino was as good or better than Elway in the 4th quarter (though Elway was awesome then - his running ability really helped). But, often Dan would lead a great comeback then the defense would falter. One thing Elway always had was a better D.

The stat I'd really like to see is how many times did a QB lead a 4th quarter rally to tie or put his team in the lead, regardless of the outcome. That's a more accurate stat as it doesn't then depend on the defense holding the lead in the last 2-3 minutes of a game.

Back
Top Bottom