Marino, Plaschke around the horn comments | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino, Plaschke around the horn comments

Ct Fin Freak 13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Bill Plaschke just said that Johnson stripped marino of his audibles because he wasnt the most heady qb. OH MY GOD THIS GUY DOESNT KNOW **** MARINO WAS ONE OF THE BEST AUDIBALIZERS IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. IF I COULD WRITE TO HIM I WOULD BUT I DONT KNOW HOW PLASCHKE SUCKS AND OBVIOUSLY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT MARINO. I CANT BELIEVE HE IS ON THIS SHOW HE IS A LOSER

Yup, JJ must be God.

I think he stripped him of the audibles because Marino always wanted to check out of the run to throw.

JJ always wanted him to do it the other way...

--Ross

Ironic that the dumbest panel member on that show, Woody Paige, was the only one who I felt was near competant on the issue, til he linked Marino to Matt Millen.

What alot of fans, and apparently most of the media still don't grasp is Marino's job. Marino is the boss, I likened him yesterday to George Steinbrenner, in the sense that Brenner doesn't run the baseball operations, he runs the people that run the baseball department.

I fully believe that I myself could do the job Dan Marino was given, so to think that guy with that much knowledge of the NFL can't be successful is ridiculous.

Ultimately, Rick Speilman will mold this team, that is what should be the catalyst for excitement leading up to the 2004 season.

Plaschke is an idiot. He does a column here in SoCal for the LA Times. He's one of those columnists that about half the time after reading one of his pieces, you're wondering how in the hell the guy maintains gainful employment.

I don't know if you recall, but one of the knocks on Marino coming out of college was that he wasn't smart enough. He also was never great at reading defenses. He was instinctual and extremely talented, but his success often came from forcing passes into impossible situations and completing them anyways. When JJ took away the green light to audible it was b/c the coaching staff wasn't agreeing with Dan's decisions.

Originally posted by Stamos
Ironic that the dumbest panel member on that show, Woody Paige, was the only one who I felt was near competant on the issue, til he linked Marino to Matt Millen.

What alot of fans, and apparently most of the media still don't grasp is Marino's job. Marino is the boss, I likened him yesterday to George Steinbrenner, in the sense that Brenner doesn't run the baseball operations, he runs the people that run the baseball department.

I fully believe that I myself could do the job Dan Marino was given, so to think that guy with that much knowledge of the NFL can't be successful is ridiculous.

Ultimately, Rick Speilman will mold this team, that is what should be the catalyst for excitement leading up to the 2004 season.

Woody Paige Denver Post needs someones help to tie his shoes.
Less then 10% of his column is decent. I live in Colorado, that honestly is the general concensus. Ive talked to him on the phone, the guy is an idiot.

BB

Originally posted by rafael
I don't know if you recall, but one of the knocks on Marino coming out of college was that he wasn't smart enough. He also was never great at reading defenses. He was instinctual and extremely talented, but his success often came from forcing passes into impossible situations and completing them anyways. When JJ took away the green light to audible it was b/c the coaching staff wasn't agreeing with Dan's decisions.

Huh?I don't recall that, but IMO if he set as many records as he did, he can't be all that bad at reading a defense. He should be considered one of the best at it. I think JJ was just too determined to run.

Originally posted by Scrappy

Huh?I don't recall that, but IMO if he set as many records as he did, he can't be all that bad at reading a defense. He should be considered one of the best at it. I think JJ was just too determined to run.

There is no way Marino should be considered one of the best at reading defenses. That wasn't his strength. He obviously could do it enough to have success, but that doesn't mean he was among the best at it.

There are many skills that go into being a QB. Just b/c somebody is arguably the best ever it doesn't mean he was the best at everyone of those skills.

Originally posted by Ct Fin Freak 13
Bill Plaschke just said that Johnson stripped marino of his audibles because he wasnt the most heady qb. OH MY GOD THIS GUY DOESNT KNOW **** MARINO WAS ONE OF THE BEST AUDIBALIZERS IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. IF I COULD WRITE TO HIM I WOULD BUT I DONT KNOW HOW PLASCHKE SUCKS AND OBVIOUSLY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT MARINO. I CANT BELIEVE HE IS ON THIS SHOW HE IS A LOSER

audibalizers? that's a first......... How about signal caller?

Originally posted by bigbry
Woody Paige Denver Post needs someones help to tie his shoes. Less then 10% of his column is decent. I live in Colorado, that honestly is the general concensus.

I'm part of the concensus BB! :D

Originally posted by bigbry

Woody Paige Denver Post needs someones help to tie his shoes.
Less then 10% of his column is decent. I live in Colorado, that honestly is the general concensus. Ive talked to him on the phone, the guy is an idiot.

BB
Woody rules.

Marino was a master at reading defenses. You just don't do the things he did if you're not.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
Woody rules.

Marino was a master at reading defenses. You just don't do the things he did if you're not.

Wow! Woodys fan is here...J/K

BB

Guys, Marino was stripped of his audibles because the rest of the team wasn't as SMART as Dan. That's also the reason why the playbook got scaled back big time so everyone else that Jimmy brought in could pick it up easier. It was a revolving door in terms of offensive personnel when JJ was here.

Originally posted by rafael

There is no way Marino should be considered one of the best at reading defenses. That wasn't his strength. He obviously could do it enough to have success, but that doesn't mean he was among the best at it.

There are many skills that go into being a QB. Just b/c somebody is arguably the best ever it doesn't mean he was the best at everyone of those skills.

I assume you weren't around to actually watch Dan play.
He was in fact very good at reading defenses and in his prime was one of the best at audibling to burn a blitzing Defense.

This is why Marino was such a talent. Not only did he have an amazing arm, acuracy, quick release but also the brains to go along with it.

Now the absolute best at reading Defenses and calling audibles I think is Peyton Manning. The guy seems to always know which receiver will be left open as a result of a blitz.

Back
Top Bottom