Marino question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino question

*_*ADMIRAL*_*

Thanks for the memories Pat
Reaction score
since i wasnt born the year that Marino threw for over 5,000 yards i wanted to know who his recievers were and who got the most yardage from him...thanks for anyone that will take the time to reply to this

........Dan Marino becomes the first-ever NFL quarterback to pass for over 5,000 yards in a season as he ends up with 5,084. The most prolific passing season in NFL history also consists of 48 touchdown passes, 564 attempts, 362 completions and only 17 interceptions for a franchise record passer rating of 108.9. Both Clayton (73-1,389) and WR Mark Duper (71-1,306) surpass prior Dolphin records for receptions and reception yardage in one season

From MiamiDolphins.com/History

Trekbiz said:
From MiamiDolphins.com/History
thanks alot trek do you know if the runningback topped a 1000 yards also or came close to it? and who was that runningback?

They had a running back-by-committee approach. As a team, we combined to rush for almost 2000 yards. Three guys got within about 100 yards of each other.

Also, RB Tony Nathan caught 61 passes that year.

*_*ADMIRAL*_* said:
thanks alot trek do you know if the runningback topped a 1000 yards also or came close to it? and who was that runningback?
They had a pathetic running game, the only yardage they did get was due to marino's gun and how much it was feared, their defense ranked 19 out 28 teams.

BlueFin said:
They had a pathetic running game, the only yardage they did get was due to marino's gun and how much it was feared, their defense ranked 19 out 28 teams.
He didn't ask about the defense.

yeah man i was born in '86 and ive heard of the mark brothers. I say if we ever get back to the superbowl we let marino run the last drive of the game and give him a superbowl ring. :)

i knew of the Mark Brothers but i just wasnt sure if they had retired by then or what

Another guy who deserves mention is Nat Moore. He caught probably 43 passes that year. He was an older veteran guy who had been the number 1 receiver for a lot of years until Duper/Clayton emerged. He was a key contributor that year. He's also the guy we see in the old highlights doing the flip and spin reception vs. the Jets on a Monday nighter from that year.
The RB's were as follows: Tony Nathan(558 yds) was the starter, Joe Carter(495 yds) off the bench; FB's, which were used differently back then were Woody Bennett(606 yds) and Pete Johnson(159 yds. 9 rushing TD's). Johnson was acquired about 3 or 4 games into the season from San Diego as a replacement for Andra Franklin who ripped up his knee vs. New England in week 2.
Sorry I don't know how to do a link, but the info comes from
www.pro-football-reference.com
Great site if you like history and stats.

Wow, this site links automatically for you. I did not know that. I'm a moron with these computers.

Clayton and Duper were really good

Mark Clayton played for Louisville (where I am from). I used to love to watch he and Duper hook up with Marino. One of the reason Marino shattered all qb records is because he threw to those guys for 10 years straight.

Back
Top Bottom