Marino should work with Tannehill this off seasson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino should work with Tannehill this off seasson

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
To teach Tannehill 'pocket awereness' and 'quick release' maybe also some leadership skills.

Marino did stuff that can't be taught.

Marino does what Marino wants with Marino time. send Tanny to George Whitfield in San Diego. then let Lazor loose on 'im.

Marino was a great QB for the Fins and that's where it should end with him. He is not gm material nor coaching material.

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD

Marino was born with it.... he can't teach Tannehill to have pinpoint accuracy, pocket awareness and a beautiful deep ball no more than a tiger can teach a dolphin to have stripes.

Marino was a gunslinger. They're different types of quarterback. And I agree you can't teach instinct.

God, wouldn't Marino have loved Wallace?? But then again, he was always yelling at his receivers to come back to him when he was scrambling, and Wallace would have been in the doghouse more than a few times.

being a good player does not make you a good coach or gm

That would interrupt Marino's golf game. I doubt he's willing to do that. Plus what Marino had can't be taught.

Who would pay?? I'm sure Marino and Tanny dont do stuff for free no more

I am a pretty good guitarist, never took any lessons. It just came natural to me. I suck ass at teaching people, because I was never taught. I think it is the same with Marino. He just did it.

I watched all of Marino's game as they happened. i collected all of his stuff I could find. I'm pretty much now wish he was never around because every QB Miami has had has to stack up against him in the eyes of fans. Marino was great but he (A) Never won a Superbowl (B) Had 5 seasons where he had a lower QB rating than Tannehill this year. (C) Had 9 seasons with a equal or higher int% than Tannehill did this year (as a career averaged higher than Tannehill has too). (D) Had 3 seasons with a lower TD% than Tannehill did this year.

And I AM NOT SAYING TANNEHILL IS BETTER QB THAN MARINO OR EVEN A GREAT QB but I am saying people tend to remember things better that they actually were. I'm ok with keeping the Marino stuff under lock and key and cheering on what we have now and looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Marino was a gunslinger. They're different types of quarterback. And I agree you can't teach instinct.

God, wouldn't Marino have loved Wallace?? But then again, he was always yelling at his receivers to come back to him when he was scrambling, and Wallace would have been in the doghouse more than a few times.

Why would Marnio love a receiver that can't catch?

imo every kid who gets to NFL level and stands under center, wants to strap up and skin that smoke wagon! the quarterback is a "Gunslinger", no matter who it is. some (as in the Wild West) are just better than most. and instinct isn't a learned response, it's a condition of nature. no need to be taught something we all possess. what you're describing about Ryan is his seeming lack of reflex - which comes from external or outer stimuli. like if you poke someone, they flinch; or if a 300lb DE is bull rushing you, step up in the pocket or take of and run. and when you see Mike Wallace get a step on a corner... don't hesitate... THROW HIM THE DAMN BALL!

Marino may not be a teacher, but I would be interested to get his impressions on the areas that Tannehill needs to improve. Like others on here, I doubt that one can teach pocket presence, but what did Dan do to keep his as sharp as possible? What did he do to mentally prepare himself for a big season? What did he do to minimize other distractions in his life? etc
What I'm saying is that for just about the first time in the 17 QBs AD (after Dan), we have a very smart young man with some very good skills who has the potential to be a good to very good QB and it would be good to progressively build a relationship between the two, if possible. This is entirely academic if either party isn't amenable. However, Dan still loves the Dolphins and Ryan comes across as very eager to learn.
Apparently Brett Favre helped as an assistant high school coach in his local Hattiesburg area and the team was very successful. Favre was considered the gunslinger of gunslingers, but he actually surprised everyone how well he taught the young players how to prepare as footballers and what to look at to exploit Defenses. Sometimes old champion QBs can offer some great tips to anyone prepared to listen. Maybe Ryan should also seek some one on one time with Brett Favre. He had a good release as well.

Back
Top Bottom