"Mario Edwards has the inside track starting opposite Madison" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Mario Edwards has the inside track starting opposite Madison"

"It's not even July yet, things will change"

REALLY??? Man, it annoys me that in every thread you have the few here who always have to be Mary Poppins. Mario Edwards sucks, that's pretty much a general consensus among most NFL fans....it was stated in an article that he is in the running for the starting spot right now as opposed to 2 other CBs who most thought were better.

This is surprising news...this is worth talking about regardless of who is coach and what time of year it is. If you oppose, then I guess we should shut down the forums until we get a week of training camp underway :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was surprised to see that Mario Edwards had the inside track on starting opposite of Madison THIS EARLY ( EDITED: ) I'm not that surprised though because I feel a lot of people here have underrated Mario Edwards. I still feel that Reggie Howard is going to win the starting job, but Mario Edwards could turn out to be a GREAT Nickel back for us this season. He's a Saban type CB, he's big tall and physical and not to mention he also has great speed for his size.

Keep in mind this isn't even official.

This was one guy's report on what he believes. Saban said nothing about this. There is no concrete evidence that Edwards is 1st in line to start.

Nick Saban would say the best person in training camp and pre-season will start, and that's the way it's gonna be.

Little confusing here, you said this:
painnotpleasure said:
Yeah, I was surprised to see that Mario Edwards had the inside track on starting opposite of Madison.
Then you said this:
painnotpleasure said:
I'm not that surprised, I feel a lot of people here have underrated Mario Edwards.
So make up your mind, were you surprised or not?

WitheringPlant said:
Little confusing here, you said this:

Then you said this:

So make up your mind, were you surprised or not?
:D It caught me off guard when I read it because I didn't expect to be hearing anything so early. I figured there would be nothing crucial with CB battle, especially between Edwards and Howard until during or after Training Camp. I really do think Mario Edwards is underrated and think he could end up being the starter. I'm surprise about hearing the news so soon though, expected it much later. Sorry for not clairfying that. :goof:

I have honestly not seen enough of him to comment but I have a theory that is a coaching oriented team like this one, previous experiance with other teams means very little. Hudson Houck is the kind of coach that can turn a dismal offensive line into a solid line using the exact same players. I have seen enough of Daniels that he is serviceable. Who knows what kind of rabbits this new coaching staff can pull out of their hats. Yes, I would be disapointed if Edwards gets the nod over Howard because I have seen howerd play, alot, both here and for the Panthers and he is overall a pretty solid corner. I am just saying that coaches mold everything and if there is a coaching staff that can turn a average nickleback into a solid number two, its this one.

I live in Texas and most of my family and friends are Cowboy fans....there consensus was that we'd be better off with Mario (the singer) playing CB. Now, while he's not that bad, I'm very dissapointed that Howard hasn't stepped up to claim the job. I've been touting him since Surtain was even "talked" about being traded.

All that said, something I've been harping on since the offseason began is that I'm STILL most worried about FS. It makes me cringe to think Tillman our starting FS. I honestly think that SS is fine with Jones and I hope Tillman proves me wrong but he's NEVER played an entire season because he's always hurt. That plus the fact our back up in Bell (who I like) also hasn't finished a full season is the scary part.

MissMeth said:
Come on guys.. lets be real. Saban is not going to start a guy that he thinks is horrible or isnt getting the job done. Yes we have seen that in the past but this is a new era of Dolphins. I think Saban is smart enough to not do that.

Exactly, not to mention, what does it really mean to have the "inside track" at the beginning of mini camp really? We have this weekend, Training camp and 5 preseason games. Trust me, there's a lot of time for someone to prove or disprove their contribution to this team. If Nick doesn't think someone can do the job, he won't play, period!

PassRush said:
I have honestly not seen enough of him to comment but I have a theory that is a coaching oriented team like this one, previous experiance with other teams means very little. Hudson Houck is the kind of coach that can turn a dismal offensive line into a solid line using the exact same players. I have seen enough of Daniels that he is serviceable. Who knows what kind of rabbits this new coaching staff can pull out of their hats. Yes, I would be disapointed if Edwards gets the nod over Howard because I have seen howerd play, alot, both here and for the Panthers and he is overall a pretty solid corner. I am just saying that coaches mold everything and if there is a coaching staff that can turn a average nickleback into a solid number two, its this one.

AMEN....and RIP Dimebag...you are right about that bro...he will always be remembered as one of the greatest!!!

shouright said:
He sucked in THOSE defenses. He may be a better fit in Saban's type of defense.

This is exactly what Edwards and his agent said after he signed here. That he was a square peg in the round holes that were those defenses. Neither of those teams employ defenses that are aggressive with their CBs in coverage. Both are more zone/off the ball types.

Saban isn't going to have his CBs playing press all the time like Wannstedt did. But it's not going to be as "lax" as those two teams (as I understand it).

Wht happens when Edwards is lined up in front of Chambers and the Thanksgiving 2003 nightmare comes back to haunt him.

Daniels supposedly started at mini-camp and I think Edwards was there so this really means nothing if you ask me. Does anyone know if Lance Schulters was finally released?

Back
Top Bottom