Mark Brunell-Did we blow it? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mark Brunell-Did we blow it?

phinsphan4ever

Welcome to Miami Daunte!!
Reaction score
Do you guys think that we blew the chance to acquire Brunell? Are you of the opinion that Rick didn't show enough interest or that Washington was offering way more money than we were willing to offer? Personally, I think it was a combination of the two. I believe if we were a little more aggressive that Brunell would have jumped at it and would've signed for a more cap friendly deal. We were his #1 destination.

we were his #1 destination until he saw a much greener place to go :(

no we did not blow we do not have the cap $$$ to provide that kinda of signing bonus

I wanted Brunell in Miami, I felt he was the best veteran out there that would fit the Fins, but I never felt he was worth a draft pick, the Fins have way to many other needs to use a pick on a Temp QB.

Frankly, I'm pleased that we will not give a fairly high draft pick AND (effectively) a free agent contract to a 34 year old QB with some history of injury...

yes yes yes PhinPhreak...true!!!

it came down to $$$...of which the Fins were not willing to give up a lot of for a 34 year old qb...plus a 3rd round draft pick...of which we don't have as it is...the Skins overpaid and gave up to much for him...

I think the Skins moved in quick on him...if Brunell became a free agent...I think that the Fins would have been more agressive...but under these circumstances...I'm glad that we did not get him...yes, I would have liked him to be in a Fins uniform but not for what the Skins gave up for him...no way!!!

Not at all. Rick was smart not to go after Brunell....

Look at what we'd be getting with Brunell. An over the hill dinosaur, with a max shelf life of approx two years, for a huge chunk of cash....

Saving that money for the FA market was the wise thing to do. Had we signed Brunell, we'd probably be broke right now....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

I wanted Brunell here but what washington gave him/up for him is just insanity.

No. We didn't blow it. Jacksonville did not give us permission to talk. There was a report that we did make trade bid...but Jacksonville rejected it.

There are no other teams that reportedly made a bid.

The Redskins bid against themselves. They offered a 4th rounder. Then up-ed it to a 3rd rounder. Then threw in a 8.6 zillion bonus to entice the QB.

Brunell's agent wanted him to go the Free Agent route. He would have had more bidding leverage in getting him a big contract.

Brunell bit on Gibbs sales pitch and went against his original wishes...no QB controversy/stay in Florida.

Washington did overspend big-time. There are NO bargains in the first week of Free Agency. However, they were afraid that the Cowboys would get Brunell. They were willing to overspend to kill two birds with one stone. But, now they have a disgruntled Ramsey on their hands.

i agree with all of the above.....in summary, no, he's not worth it, on to better and younger ventures...

When you make smart decisions and stick to your guns in the front office game you end up losing out on some people in the short term. But in the long term you're still better off. Thats what happened with Wayne Gandy last year and thats what happened with Mark Brunell this year. But in either situation we're going to be better off, and we were not a Wayne Gandy away from the Super Bowl in 2003.

As a free agent I would have loved Brunell here...in giving up a draft pick...would have made it really hard...to give him that type of money...made it easy..NO WAY!....our front office played it right...we have alot of other needs...cap space and draft picks to do more with.

Plus not for nothin but there are guys out there going to be available that have about as much juice left in them as Mark Brunell.

Jeff Garcia is heading toward the cut line in San Fran, and Rich Gannon is almost certainly gone in Oak-town.

Back
Top Bottom