Mark Brunell = Fools Gold.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mark Brunell = Fools Gold....

I tend to agree.... I will not jump on the Brunell bandwagon, didn't 90% of us do that with Griese?

How long before this organization actually develops a young QB? It SHOULD have been 3 years before Marino retired. Yes Yes, they tried with Mitchell..... how about drafting a decent QB?

No old goats, please, or this will be a yearly discussion on who will be QB next year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Brunell = Fools Gold....

Originally posted by MaraxusKA
The plan was to acquire both Brunell and Rivers, with Either Jay or Brian in between.

I would wager that this plan will never happen.

Brunell coming might.

The Dolphins drafting a QB in the first round is a yearly discussion. So, because of past drafts, I don't think they will draft Rivers.

And Jay and Brian need to go, and have Sage back up Brunell in this dream option.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Brunell = Fools Gold....

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG

Neither was Jags QB B. Leftwich, but he was good enough to keep Brunell from taking the starting job from him once he was promoted.....

Bottom Line : All rookie QB's are unproven until given the opportunity to prove otherwise....

The only thing Brunell has proven as of recently, is that he's no better than rookie B. Leftwich....

BLITZ, Let's delve a little deeper into this situation.

The Jaguars are in a much different situation than Miami is... they are a losing team, unable to make the playoffs in their current state, and are looking to restructure their team. Leftwich is getting paid much less than Brunell is, is younger, and has more potential, so the Jags decided to give Leftwich added experience for next year and to let go of Brunell and recreate more cap money to spend for new players. Plus, if teams are willing to trade draft picks, they can even get something out of the transaction.

Just because Brunell was benched doesn't conclude that he is a bad QB undeserving of a starting role. It has almost nothing to do with it, actually.

Miami is in a different situation. They have not had a losing season in more than a decade. Their team is great on paper and has the potential to go straight to the Super Bowl. With the QB representing the leadership role of the entire team, they can't look to one that hasn't played one NFL game yet. The only reason Miami would look to a rookie QB is if they are restructuring the team and they obviously aren't doing that. The best situation for a rookie QB in Miami is to have the current starting QB as his mentor, and while that QB helps lead Miami the furthest they can, they can help develop the rookie and make him ready to start soon later.

:hail: MaraxusKA........please....copy that post and drop it in the 20 different threads about this Brunell deal......It can't be said any better than that.....great post... there's no denying ANYTHING you said....

sorry to go on and on like this but, it really is such a simple concept, it is AMAZING to me, that some people don't get it....:eek2:

Last edited:
Currently if the Dolphins don't move up in the draft I doubt they'd have a chance at Rivers unfortunately. His stock is going up fast.

I'm not all about starting any rookie QB and expecting a Super Bowl run but in Rivers' defense we don't ask our QBs to do much except deliver good timing, accuracy, and be careful with the football. Rivers did all three in every year he started in college.

We ask our QBs to basically be what Rivers has been in college. I know he'd still be a rookie but as long as he would be taking care of the football which is mainly what we ask our QBs to do, he can do no worst than Fiedler I'm sure.

With the QB representing the leadership role of the entire team, they can't look to one that hasn't played one NFL game yet

I don't think this should apply to the likes of Sage Rosenfels, Billy Volek, and Ricky Ray...because plenty of teams have handed the reins over to guys without much starting experience (ehem Jay Fiedler) and many of them were successful. A few of them even went to the super bowl. Two of them even won the super bowl.

Brunnel got shown the door in Jax because of 2 things. The new management of the team, and the availability of Leftwich.

Make no mistake about it, if the Jags did not secure Leftwich, Brunell would have played all season and would be asked to restructure this offseason.

Leftwich being there was too good a pick to not take. The team had lots of needs...and still does. But you cant pay 2 Qbs 5 mill to have one sit on the bench...unless you are Buffablow paying 10 mill too much.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Actually its much more likely that the 11 years is what prevents Brunell or any other guy with 10+ years of starting from having Fiedler's winning percentage.

Brunell use to be a top shelf guy there's no denying it. He is a 3 time pro bowler for cryin out loud and that aint easy for QBs.

But he IS fool's gold at this point. He's gonna be 34. He hasn't played the last 2-3 years like he use to play when he was in his prime, and he's as injury prone nowadays as Jay Fiedler. One of the big reasons we don't want to count on Fiedler is because he's injury prone. Same with Griese. Well Brunell's no better. The reason I say he's fool's gold is because all these trade talks now are much more about the fact that there are like 4-5 teams out there that need a veteran starter, with no great candidates to fill that role. As I said before in the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king. Right now Brunell's that one-eyed man.

Who the hell cares if brunnel has had bad years. We kept marino in an overpaid status for many years.

true, but Marino was still a solid QB and was (still is) an icon around here...so there was a reason beghind keeping him. And just a hint, man...dont go around callin Marino overpaid or ur gonna get flamed right off the board, lol. :tongue:

I think Brunnell is solid. All we need out of him is:
1) Accuracy. ( he has it, Jay doesn't), and
2) Consistency (he has it, Jay doesn't)

He doesn't need to break Marino's records. Just solid play would get this team over the hump. I think he is capable of that (He is, Jay isn't).

;)

On the decline every year, huh Blitz??

That's funny. In 2002, Brunell had a quaterback rating of 85.2 while completing 59 percent of his passes, for 2788 yards on 6.7 yards per attempt. The QB rating was his highest since 1998 (the year BEFORE he took them to the conference title game for the 2nd time), the INT's was the lowest since 1999, and the comp percentage and yards per attempt was on par with every year over the course of his career. This with a pathetic offensive line, and Jimmy Smith as his lone reliable target. In 2001, Brunell had his highest comp percentage since 1996, the 2nd most TD passes of his career, and his 2nd highest passing yardage total..second to the YEAR BEFORE. So yea, i guess Brunell has been getting worse as the years go by. And about those missed starts; Brunell was a full time starter for seven (not eleven) seasons before Jacksonville decided to rebuild this year (which allowed Brunell a full year to get healthy); in these seven seasons, Brunell missed all of 8 starts. I'll take 59-60 percent passing, 3000 yards, 20 TD's and 10 picks for the next couple of seasons in exchange for a draft pick.

Back
Top Bottom