Mark Dixon to 2nd team LT! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mark Dixon to 2nd team LT!

finfan54

Active Roster
Reaction score
it was just said on dolfantalk.com that on sunshine network it was reported that Mark Dixon has been moved to 2nd team LT and jamie Nails has been moved to starting team LG!!! yowsa! the dead has been done. i feel sorry for brent smith though, he could play before the injury. oh well. looks like we see Nails bigtime tomorrow! imagine that, two buffalo bills right next to each other, refined and ready to deliver! big beef up front now if searcy makes it.:p

I just don't know............

Originally posted by finfan54
it was just said on dolfantalk.com that on sunshine network it was reported that Mark Dixon has been moved to 2nd team LT and jamie Nails has been moved to starting team LG!!! yowsa! the dead has been done. i feel sorry for brent smith though, he could play before the injury. oh well. looks like we see Nails bigtime tomorrow! imagine that, two buffalo bills right next to each other, refined and ready to deliver! big beef up front now if searcy makes it.:p

if moving Mark to LT is such a wise idea. I'm just not sure if he's big and quick enough to be able to handle the LT position. I think a better move might be to try Jamie Nails at LT, although we probably need Jamie to play at one of the G spots so that we have a mauler inside. Without doubt, I fully expect Jamie to be starting somewhere on the offensive line against the Lions.

If its true I only got one thing to say...

I toldya toldya toldya toldya toldya so!

Before the game I stated that the things to keep an eye on are Brent Smith and Jamie Nails. If Brent does horribly and Nails does well say hello to Mark Dixon being moved to LT. Well, when the game got going, Brent was getting abused at LT, and when Nails came in he started mauling defensive linemen like they were girlscouts even injuring one of them. So I said afterwords that if the coaches don't start movin Dixon over as a result of that, they never will and probably never were going to. I thought maybe they'd delay it until AFTER the Saints game, however, since we had no time to practice.

But I guess perhaps the coaches will be tossing Dixon to the wolves out there, all by himself at LT with no practice there, against the Saints 2nd teamers. Be prepared to let up some sacks with him in the short run especially since he figures to be blocking for Tim Levcik, who is an undrafted rookie with bad footwork and pocket presence. But all I ever wanted was Dixon to be moved to give the cat a chance to LEARN and IMPROVE at the position, cuz he may or may not be better than Brent.

I hope that this is true i believe he is going move ahead of brent smith or marcus spriggs (who ever is #1 on depth chart right now) by the end of preason. I think a line of dixon-nails-ruddy-searcy-wade. i just hope the line can gel for ricky to rip a couple of big runs early on the saints

yep its official! just saw it on sunshine a minute ago. dixon was at a loss for words, but he said nails earned it! i say Spriggs will be our LT and Dixon will get about six weeks to learn the position IMO. tehre is one thing i am worried about here, and that is dixon doesnt want to play this position. whoof.

Re: I just don't know............

Originally posted by aqua&orange54

if moving Mark to LT is such a wise idea. I'm just not sure if he's big and quick enough to be able to handle the LT position. I think a better move might be to try Jamie Nails at LT, although we probably need Jamie to play at one of the G spots so that we have a mauler inside. Without doubt, I fully expect Jamie to be starting somewhere on the offensive line against the Lions.

actually, Dixon is our best athletic linemen. i think he is built exactly right for the job. Nails will be our Larry Allen.

Jeez, on one hand the guy admittedly can't get the job done but people are excited that he's moving to LT????? I watched the tape of the Monday game, Smith didn't play badly, in fact he most certianly outplayed others on the O-line.

I have watched the game as well and Smith was letting up a lot of pressure from his side. And I'm not the only one that noticed it. Lets put it this way. Norv Turner refused to have us play any 7 step drops fully knowing that they would expose Jay Fiedler to getting sacked, because our LT position is weaker than all heck. You can read the papers to find that out. Norv said specifically he didn't call for any 7 step drops because it would expose Fiedler, and he likely won't do that tonight either. Read between the lines and you see that a 7 step drop can be accomplished easily if you have a capable LT. Do you think we're going to go an entire season without 7 step drops? Can Norv Turner's offense even be effective when you've limited it that much? Personally, I do not think so. Norv NEEDS to have shots taken down the field and he needs them to be effective. His WRs should optimally average 15 or 16 yards a catch while his TEs and RBs catch the underneath stuff. This current LT play, where we can't do 7 step drops because it would hurt our QB, is not acceptable.

Dixon's problem has been run blocking, not pass protection, which is why it makes sense to move to a place where pass protection is at a premium and run blocking, not so much.

That said I was disappointed that I didn't read anywhere this morning about Dixon moving to 2nd string LT. I read about Nails getting the start and Dixon saying he earned it but by all accounts, Dixon's sitting out of the game tonight to rest his ankle much like Larry Chester (who should sit out for a WEEK in my opinion)

Ah, yeah Norv said that but in reality it is due to the poor blocking all around. Seriously watch the tape CK, Smith was not a big problem, you're being way too severe in your critism. What didn't he do????

Yea I put the tape on slow motion just to evaluate the line at each position, and I was more concerned with Wade then anyone.

Smith did get beat once or twice, but I thought he held up well considering they were blitzing on every play.

Just my opinion though.

Originally posted by DNY
Ah, yeah Norv said that but in reality it is due to the poor blocking all around. Seriously watch the tape CK, Smith was not a big problem, you're being way too severe in your critism. What didn't he do????

Look, did you watch the tenessee scrimmage? Smith got used so bad! and even though his guy didnt do anything against tampa, he still was very slow. it is obvious that smith cant overcome this injury right now. and as far as dixon move to LT, this is not new news people! this was talked about from wise and wannstedt a while ago! they just wanted to see smith and spriggs in detail! this is not just about dixon getting demoted. this is about brent smith getting demoted bigtime! but i dont see dixon getting demoted but rather gettting some rest and having to start learning the LT spot! dixon would make a great LT! he is athletic. he can handle the job, he just needs to be convinced that he is meant for this position. he needs to get out of his comfort zone!!!! this is perfect for dixon right now IMO.

Originally posted by Adphinistrator87
Yea I put the tape on slow motion just to evaluate the line at each position, and I was more concerned with Wade then anyone.

Smith did get beat once or twice, but I thought he held up well considering they were blitzing on every play.

Just my opinion though.

on the seep play with the WR's and the TE in the slot, Brent Smith was terrible in the open field block. i know for sure this is what Wannywise saw! cus it was the thing i noticed after watching the tape again. ricky got stuffed but if smith had just turned and cut into the LB,. he would have shut off at least two players, instead, five guys tackled ricky for no gain!

Yeah I watched the scrimmage. I also watched the game. As was said he wan't perfect, he blew a block on the pitch play, forced Lucas to scramble once and had 2 motion penelties that should have been called but weren't. He also blew Sapp away on a running play and picked him up on a stunt on a passing play. He did ok, he did have a problem it seemed when the rusher used a stop and go move.

Watch the play again, watch Dixon's man blow bye him and make RW stay back. Hey the play didn't work, many were to blame.

Originally posted by DNY
Watch the play again, watch Dixon's man blow bye him and make RW stay back. Hey the play didn't work, many were to blame.

i agree totally! that is why this move is being made now. as it should. both dixon and smith are overcming injuries. maybe i am being too pessimistic on smith, but he still will have his chance as a second team guy to sit back and put more focus on his play and rest more in the next few weeks. i am worried for dixon though, cus his mind may not be on the game as much as it should right now, irregaurdless of the injury. Richmond webb would sure solve this problem huh?:cry:

Back
Top Bottom