Mark my words, St. Clair will not start at RT next season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mark my words, St. Clair will not start at RT next season

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
I love how everybody jumps on this move saying "this is their solution to the Right Tackle situation??" without having any knowledge of what this signing is about, other than a remark from a writer at the Sun-Sentinel, where he "assumed" because of a need at right tackle and the fact this kid has played there, that he will start at that position. Nobody is accepting a 600,000 signing bonus and only a two year contract to be a starting tackle in this league. He will probably count 800,000 against the cap, plus a chance for incentives this season. That is the kind of money you pay to a swing player that can play multiple positions but will only be a fill-in starter at tackle, and maybe compete for the right guard position. The deal with St. Clair is that he was an outstanding college center, and the Rams tried him at tackle because he runs a 5.2 and he's 6-5. Clearly, that is not his best spot and he needs to return to playing inside where he made a name for himself in the ACC and became a first day draft choice. Versatile player for a cheap price that provides depth-take it.

and he doesn't know our schemes at all nor any of our players......i don't think he'll start at center as there is just too much responsibility for the center with leading the oline, making calls and adjustments.....let alone learn our playbook to the point where he could coordinate and adjust blocking schemes within the next 6 months...

as for prices.....go read prisco's latest article....no one was paying what we paid for Jeno either....or what Chicago paid for Tait......or what Detroit paid for Woody......or what Philly paid for Kearse....or what Washington paid for Portis......or......the list goes on.....

He will be competing for the right tackle spot with Damion and if Damion is not ready will start at RT. I can confirm this with three newspapers (Sun-Sentinel, Herald, PBP) so its not something "invented" by them when they all have the same story.

i dont believe those newspapers confirmed from the team though...they just assume it, which would be a reasonable assumption to make...if todd stuessie wasnt in the picture

lol, well it'd be nice to get stuessie to play RT and put Clair in at RG.....rather then jerman/yates/whitley......

St.Claire is a good run blocking tackle. But he is not good in pass protection, that scares me. So Therfore, start jay so if the qb gets killed its him and not feeley.:lol:

Originally posted by finzfan4life
St.Claire is a good run blocking tackle. But he is not good in pass protection, that scares me. So Therfore, start jay so if the qb gets killed its him and not feeley.:lol:

now that got me to laugh a little bit.......:D

Man, if we trade for Boston and get Steussie........we have one hole to fill. And that's RG. Then you have the draft. You can grab Vernon Carey or Jake Grove (and move Seth over to compete with Whitley....although I don't think Seth can play guard at a high level). Still, it leaves you with just one hole to fill entering the draft.

One thing I find interesting. All the tackles we have or are persuing have played predominantly LT or other positions on the line. Wade Smith is a LT. McIntosh played LT. St. Clair is really an inside guy. Steussie has always been a LT IIRC. Greg Jerman is better suited for guard. And that's pretty much it.

Just thought I would share.

Back
Top Bottom