Marlins to Orange Bowl? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marlins to Orange Bowl?

Mako

Active Roster
Reaction score
I was doing a little websurfing and happened to stumble across this article. Looks like the Marlins are seriously considering a move in to the Orange Bowl, which would be a temporary fixture until a new, state of the art, baseball only stadium is built in the downtown area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Fri, Jun. 07, 2002

Marlins talk about playing in the OB
Team has exploratory negotiations with UM
BY BARRY JACKSON, OSCAR CORRAL AND SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
bjackson@herald.com

The Marlins and the University of Miami have discussed the possibility of renovating the Orange Bowl and using it as a joint football/baseball facility, three sources said.

Representatives from the Marlins and the university, including UM president Donna Shalala, held ''exploratory talks'' in the past week, a university source said Thursday. Shalala could not be reached for comment.

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria declined to confirm the meeting or indicate the extent of the Marlins' interest in playing at the Orange Bowl.

''Those are just rumors,'' he said. ``I just don't have any comment.''

Marlins president David Samson also declined to comment.

''When we have something to present, we will certainly go public with it,'' he said.

According to a source with direct knowledge of the discussion, the Marlins would consider the Orange Bowl as more of a short-term solution than a long-term answer in their search for a new stadium that would create more revenue than Pro Player Stadium, the team's home since its inception in 1993.

Under one scenario, the Marlins would play several seasons at the OB while pursuing another stadium in South Florida. Attendance at the OB would help Marlins officials gauge how the team would draw if a new stadium were built in downtown Miami.

The Marlins have not met with city officials to discuss the proposal. It's unclear how much renovations would cost or how they would be financed.

UM athletic director Paul Dee previously said the city has committed $16 million in bond money toward OB renovations. The Hurricanes, who have played at the OB since 1935, are contractually committed to remain there for the next eight years but are seeking significant upgrades.

The Marlins recently extended their Pro Player Stadium lease through 2003. The contract then has at least six one-year options at the Marlins' discretion. The Marlins' deadline to renew for the 2004 season comes up sometime before the end of 2002, PPS president Bruce Schulze said.

The Marlins are seeking a more favorable lease at PPS, but Schulze said terms of the agreement will not be changed. The Marlins receive only a portion of parking and concession revenues and don't pocket funds from the lease of suites and club seats.

Marlins officials are looking into whether a renovated Orange Bowl can meet Major League Baseball requirements. It's unclear what modifications would need to be made.

''It's obvious that any plan for a stadium would have to be approved by baseball,'' league spokesman Richard Levin said. He added that no one has approached baseball about such a plan.

''I would be surprised [if the Marlins and UM combined efforts to upgrade the OB],'' said Ed Williamson, a member of the UM Board of Trustees who also sits on the UM trustee's Orange Bowl study committee. ``I would think it would take substantial money -- very substantial. Think about the difference between Pro Player Stadium and the Orange Bowl.

``The front row of seats are considerably closer than Pro Player. I don't know how in the world you would get it so that the left-field wall would be more than 250 feet away. And if they did that, it would be bad for football.''

The University of Miami would have to sign off on the deal. UM would be inclined to cooperate as long as baseball doesn't interfere with its football schedule, a source said. There would be potential conflicts in September, but that isn't considered a major problem.

Baseball has been played at the Orange Bowl previously. One of the most recent games involved the Puerto Rican national team and drew 9,790 fans in 1990.

In a May 14 interview, Dee said, ''We would like to remain at the Orange Bowl, but we want to do it in a way where we have tremendous improvements in terms of comfort to the fans.'' Adding chairback seats and improving restrooms are among the priorities, Dee said.

The City of Miami is attempting to sell naming rights to the stadium.

''Right now, we're working on the structural stability of the building, making sure it's all in good working order,'' Dee said. ``Then we have to look at . . . whether they have any other events they can put in there.''

Several city leaders said they were unaware of any meetings but sounded enthusiastic about the possibility of the Marlins playing in the Orange Bowl, even if it's temporary.

''If that can be accomplished, I think it's worth pursuing,'' Miami Mayor Manny Diaz said.

''Bringing the Marlins to the Orange Bowl would be great,'' Miami Commissioner Johnny Winton said.

City manager Carlos Gimenez said nobody on his staff has discussed an OB move with Loria but added ``we are open to all kinds of possibilities.''

Former Marlins owner H. Wayne Huizenga, who owns Pro Player Stadium, has said PPS makes less than $1 million from the Marlins annually and he would not be disturbed to see them move to another facility in South Florida.

''We would not renegotiate the lease,'' Schulze said when informed of the Marlins' discussions with UM. ``It's the same agreement the team has had since it first signed a lease 10 years ago.''

He added Huizenga would not try to keep the team at PPS. ''We're not going to be a roadblock for them to get the kind of deal they think they need,'' Schulze said.

good get that dirt crap off of our football field ;)

I agree with the dirt crap....

Pro Player is the Miami Dolphins Football Stadium. Not the Florida Marlins Baseball Stadium.....

Every year, we play half a season on that dirt, and the field is never painted up like it should be. This is our stadium.....The Miami Dolphins stadium.

Get the Marlins their own home!!!

I'll do you one better.

GET THE MARLINS OUT OF MIAMI. Contract them. Nobody cares about baseball anymore. Why should we build a stadium for a team that nobody cares to watch??

Originally posted by Muck
I'll do you one better.

GET THE MARLINS OUT OF MIAMI. Contract them. Nobody cares about baseball anymore. Why should we build a stadium for a team that nobody cares to watch??

The first team to leave should be Tampa Bay. They have a horrible team and a worse stadium. MLB is too "water down".

There will be no freakin way I will let the Marlins harm the Orange Bowl. The OB is a football stadium!!!! I will be TRULY pissed if they move the Marlins there. IMO, either get the Marlins their home team (or even a highschool :lol: ) OR get them out of MIAMI!

Absolutely. There's been talk here in Tampa that if the Twins are saved (which certainly might happen), then the Devil Rays could get the ax. Wouldn't hurt my feelings.

All I want is the Marlins off our field.

I do want the Marlins out of Joe Robbie, but not contracted. I think the Brewers are the worst team as of now. The Marlins are actually winning!! :D

Originally posted by miadphan13
I do want the Marlins out of Joe Robbie, but not contracted. I think the Brewers are the worst team as of now. The Marlins are actually winning!! :D

The Devil Rays are the worst team.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings.html

The Brewers will not leave, b/c the commisioner has a history w/ the Brewers.

I may be the only one, but i am a Marlins fan. I care about them very much and if they get a new stadium no one will be happier than me. Actually... It would be better if the phins got a new stadium and the marlins stayed at the old one. We could have a retractible dome and everything.... WE HAVE MORE MONEY THAN THE MARLINS AND CAN AFFORD IT!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom