Matt Burke Opinion | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Burke Opinion

A1.

Club Member
Reaction score
I don't post often, long time reader though. It seemed the majority of the board was not a fan of the Burke hire (myself included). But, w/ all things I like to give someone a chance to prove themself. It seemed like many people grew a hatred for our 4-3 scheme over the off season and weren't willing to even give Burke a chance, writing off our defense and claiming we would have to rely on our offense to make a run this season. Now I know we're only four games into his tenure, but this board is notorious for strong opionions in small sample sizes. So, what does everyone think about the job Burke has done this far? I was one of the many in favor of a scheme change and a splash of new personnel, but I am very impressed w/ our defense and the play calling this season. We are controlling the line of scrimmage and the linebacker play has been stellar IMO given our situation. Tank has been a blessing it seems in the secondary. Although I was pounding the table for Reuben Foster, I believe Charles Harris has what it takes to grow into a franchise DE.

Unlike Joseph who ran the wide 9 full time almost, Burke seems to only be using it on obvious passing downs. He's tightened up the front 4 alignments on early downs from what I've noticed. He calls more blitzes as well, more than Joseph, that are well designed...Jones almost got a safety on a safety blitz, Alonso cause the fumble on an blitz, I saw a couple of blitzes up the middle from Timmons, Tankersley was in on a blitz and McCain had a few blitzes from the slot. It created a lot of pressure. Didn't work so well against Rivers in week one because Rivers is really good against the blitz but today they worked. They're also a lot more effective with Timmons in at linebacker than with Hull for obvious reasons.

I still see some communication issues in the secondary and I'd like to see us mix up our coverages on occasion to confuse the QB and maybe get a pick but overall Burke has been more aggressive than Joseph which I'm in favor of.

He’s doing a great job

jury is indeed still out, but it shows you that if you give unknown's a chance, they can produce. I'm much more impressed with him than Vance by his play calling alone, not throttled by it, but at least he's not vance and vance was the name.

Not so fast. Defense keep us in the games so far, but against weak offense. Jury still out.

I hear you on the "weak offense" thing, but really what I was looking for out of Burke was the ability to make adjustments. From game 1-4, I believe Burke has made appropriate adjustments (whether you believe HE made them or they were result of injury, the adjustment was made). For example, tank over maxwell; mauluga over Hull in base. Gase and Joseph always preached "continuity" and I like how Burke (particularly referring to the Timmons issue) isn't afraid to play his best players and sub out those who aren't getting the job done. I love the playing time from tank and mauluga and even subbing in Allen for his snaps, also believe that the DE rotation has been great

I was super critical of Burke but I think that he has adapted pretty well. The defense is definitely looking good considering how long they are on the field. My concern is when we play a real team like ATL or the Cheaters. Our defense will be on the field far too long. Our offense is completely horrible.

I noticed some nicely drawn up blitz plays in the first few weeks, but I thought he called them at the wrong times...like on a 2nd down and short play. And it wasn't a run blitz. I thought he called a much better game today. It looked like he was going to be another Vance Joseph, but I'm not so sure now. He's dialing up his own plays, and I am keeping an open mind with him.

I liked the in house Burke hire to keep with continuity sprinkled with his own insight of how a defense should be played. I remember people wanting sexy Rexy as DC. Burke’s done a good job so far.

I would not be so quick to praise him. We have played the Chargers, Jets and Titans, not what you would call the elite of the NFL. The defense has been better than I expected, but let's wait until we play Atlanta before we say we have a good D.

I would not be so quick to praise him. We have played the Chargers, Jets and Titans, not what you would call the elite of the NFL. The defense has been better than I expected, but let's wait until we play Atlanta before we say we have a good D.

Seem to be forgetting we also held a HOF QB to 20 in a game we were dominated in TOP

I hear you, though. Certainly not claiming Burke to be the next great coordinator, just wanted to see opinions from the board bc most had little to no faith in him.

Things change quick in this league and especially with our beloved Fins. Gase is a quarterback whisperer and offensive Guru and now he's a bum. He is been a pleasant surprise as of today but it's a long season have any preconceived notions ling term. That being said today was a positive on D.

Back
Top Bottom