Matt Jones at #25????? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Jones at #25?????

FinzManiac said:
Are you saying we should take Matt Jones @ #18? I sure hope not...

:roflmao:
Glad you are amused. :shakeno: I think Saban will target athletes that can do multiple things. See Bill Belichick. Jones is now predicted to go late 1st early second. In a perfect world I could see us trade down again from the 18th pick, but who would want to move up AND have enough to give? We will be lucky to get one chance to trade down and at some point need to make a stretch pick in order to get our guy. Better to do it at 18 than 2.

arsenal said:
i was assuming that doing all this for jones would be dumb too... but its also dumb to trade up PRE-DRAFT DAY and announce who you will take... if they wanted campbell they could have waited till draft day to make this trade and made it a surprise... having it knwon is asking for trouble...

The only item I can see is if they REALLY want Frye....and are saying Campbell.

Jones to DC makes no sense. Not when you consider that: a. Jones will take a couple years to adjust to being an NFL receiver, and b. Joe Gibbs ain't exactly in this for the long haul.

There is no secret at all that Washington would like Edwards.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Snyder/Gibbs may have made that trade in order to go after Miami's #2 pick in order to get Edwards. Washington likes to roll the dice and I could see them risking this much trading of picks.

Bowl_Bound said:
Glad you are amused. :shakeno: I think Saban will target athletes that can do multiple things. See Bill Belichick. Jones is now predicted to go late 1st early second. In a perfect world I could see us trade down again from the 18th pick, but who would want to move up AND have enough to give? We will be lucky to get one chance to trade down and at some point need to make a stretch pick in order to get our guy. Better to do it at 18 than 2.

You can think whatever you want...I think Saban is smart enough to not WASTE a first round pick on a PROJECT. You don't draft a project player in the first...you grab the guy who you think has a very high chance of starting for you.

phunwin said:
Jones to DC makes no sense. Not when you consider that: a. Jones will take a couple years to adjust to being an NFL receiver, and b. Joe Gibbs ain't exactly in this for the long haul.

I understand your thinking, however, did you see Jones at receiver in the Senior Bowl?

He was beating some of the best senior corners and scored a touchdown, this is not a guy that will take three years to have an impact, he will impact whereever he goes right away.

FinzManiac said:
You can think whatever you want...I think Saban is smart enough to not WASTE a first round pick on a PROJECT. You don't draft a project player in the first...you grab the guy who you think has a very high chance of starting for you.

Gee, Thanks. I was feeling a bit constrained until you gave me permission to think freely.
Jones is an anomaly that I would love to have on our roster and he wont last beyond mid second round. If we got a second from KC would you have a problem picking him there too?
In your infinite wisdom what is the value of a 6'6" 240+ LB kid who runs a 4.34 forty, has a 40" vertical and good hands?

BlueFin said:
I understand your thinking, however, did you see Jones at receiver in the Senior Bowl?

He was beating some of the best senior corners and scored a touchdown, this is not a guy that will take three years to have an impact, he will impact whereever he goes right away.

Blue...he wasn't facing NFL corners...or getting hit either....Taking Jones in the first round is a fool's pick. Maybe the Redskins owner is a fool...but I don't believe Gibbs is one. I leaning they like Frye...and may be blowing smoke about Campbell.

Bowl_Bound said:
Gee, Thanks. I was feeling a bit constrained until you gave me permission to think freely.
Jones is an anomaly that I would love to have on our roster and he wont last beyond mid second round. If we got a second from KC would you have a problem picking him there too?
In your infinite wisdom what is the value of a 6'6" 240+ LB kid who runs a 4.34 forty, has a 40" vertical and good hands?

You forgot....hasn't played a game as a receiver....hasn't played against NFL corners....and hasn't been hit as a receiver....woooo nelllie.

Guaranteed Washington didn't move up to grab Jones!

How do I know, simple; Kiper and Clayton both said there is a VERY good chance Jones will be gone MUCH earlier in the 1st than most think. Boomer has mentioned that some draft experts are hearing Jones could go in the top 12!! Kiper specifically mentioned that if Jones is still on the board at 22, Baltimore has ALOT of interest. I'm not saying he won't slip to Washington, but you don't move up targeting a guy when it's a complete toss up over whether he'll be there. Maybe they intend to take Campbell but if Jones slides they will take him. But there's no way they did the trade just for Jones.

Many other experts think the picked was aquired in an effort to get a vet. QB although I don't know who they could be targeting. Makes more sense because you have no clue what QB's will be left at 25. GreenMonster

if he has to choose between J. Cambell and Matt Jones at the #25th pick, i bet he takes....... Jones. they already have a young QB who they are affraid to play, why would they want 2...

I disagree wholeheartedly with making Matt Jones into a TE/H-Back. To me, it is the stupidest thing in the world...unless you're not asking him to gain weight. Why take his 240 pound frame, and tell him to make it a 260 pound frame, when his speed will go from 4.37, to 4.6 in the process? I don't understand that thinking, at all.

Right now he has the most dynamic size and speed combo in the history of the NFL. Why change that? The guy can easily be a WR, and any coach that thinks TE is just too stuck in convention to know what to do with a player of Matt Jones' stature.

ckparrothead said:
I disagree wholeheartedly with making Matt Jones into a TE/H-Back. To me, it is the stupidest thing in the world...unless you're not asking him to gain weight. Why take his 240 pound frame, and tell him to make it a 260 pound frame, when his speed will go from 4.37, to 4.6 in the process? I don't understand that thinking, at all.

Right now he has the most dynamic size and speed combo in the history of the NFL. Why change that? The guy can easily be a WR, and any coach that thinks TE is just too stuck in convention to know what to do with a player of Matt Jones' stature.

EXACTLY!! Who is gonna cover this guy?? A CB cant jam him at the line, out jump him or beat him physically. A LB isn't fast enough to keep up with him.
HE IS A FREAK!!!!

Back
Top Bottom