Matt Roth = Chris Kelsay | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Roth = Chris Kelsay

How many games did Kelsay play in to get his 21 career sack total? Roth got 30 sacks in 3 years. Not knocking Kelsay, but a 9 sack difference over a 3 year period is not insignificant, but if Kelsay got his 21 sacks in, say, 2 years, then you're right on the money I think.

Justasportsfan said:
tell that kid in your sig that he should try his luck in the NFL next year. Denver should draft him at 3rd.

yep, and hell rush for 1300 yards, and be called a great young player, only to be traded away during the off season, and the broncoes will draft ANOTHER RB in the 3rd the following year.... :shakeno:

ckparrothead said:
How many games did Kelsay play in to get his 21 career sack total? Roth got 30 sacks in 3 years. Not knocking Kelsay, but a 9 sack difference over a 3 year period is not insignificant, but if Kelsay got his 21 sacks in, say, 2 years, then you're right on the money I think.

Honestly I can't find a solid source of stats. I know Kelsay played 4 years, but not very much his Freshman year.

When Kelsay came in he didn't contribute much, he really started playing better last year.

I expect Roth to make more of an immediate impact, although I could be wrong. Iowa has been a pretty damn good team all around latly, Nebraska has struggled when Kelsay was there I'm pretty sure.

Losman7 said:
If you want to know what you've got in Roth look no further than Chris Kelsay.

They are nearly identical in size, 6'4'' 270. They had very similar college stats. Roth had, I believe, 9 more carrer sacks. Kelsay had about 50 more tackles.

Both are "high motor" guys. Rely on on constant effort and can outlast OLinman.

Also, this isn't a knock on Roth. Kelsay is gonna be a fine player as is Roth. Hell Kelsay is solely responsible for breaking Pennington last year.

Not to knock on Kelsay, but 9 sacks is 9 sacks......I believe Roth will have a greater career than Kelsay.

I'm not knocking Kelsay at all but I do think they might be different a little as far as whether they are viewed as run stoppers or passrushers.

Roth definitely compares to Trace Armstrong...in so many ways. Trace was a competitor, I just wish that Roth funnels his emotion in the same ways that Trace did, and not in the ways that Bryan Cox did. All the people that get on here and say that they won't mind a few penalties as long as Roth brings high energy and whatnot, I think they don't realize how angry they will be at Roth the first (or fifth) time he gets a stupid roughing the passer penalty on a critical third down in an important game.

I remember seeing once during a Phins game where Trace was playing...we were losing the game, game was basically lost...the other offense is kneeling on the ball to run the clock, we're down by one score, and there is Trace Armstrong, lining up at nose tackle right down the center's neck, poising one hand for a swipe every time the center goes to snap the ball, and trying to swat the ball every time the center snaps it. I know it was a futile effort but that's the kind of player I hope Roth ends up for us.

ckparrothead said:
I'm not knocking Kelsay at all but I do think they might be different a little as far as whether they are viewed as run stoppers or passrushers.

Roth definitely compares to Trace Armstrong...in so many ways. Trace was a competitor, I just wish that Roth funnels his emotion in the same ways that Trace did, and not in the ways that Bryan Cox did. All the people that get on here and say that they won't mind a few penalties as long as Roth brings high energy and whatnot, I think they don't realize how angry they will be at Roth the first (or fifth) time he gets a stupid roughing the passer penalty on a critical third down in an important game.

I remember seeing once during a Phins game where Trace was playing...we were losing the game, game was basically lost...the other offense is kneeling on the ball to run the clock, we're down by one score, and there is Trace Armstrong, lining up at nose tackle right down the center's neck, poising one hand for a swipe every time the center goes to snap the ball, and trying to swat the ball every time the center snaps it. I know it was a futile effort but that's the kind of player I hope Roth ends up for us.

Trace was a good player, no doubt, but I don't see them as the same at all.

Trace was not near the junkyard dog that Matt Roth is, Trace was more cerebral and used his intelligence to overcome his shortcomings, Matt will just flat out kick your arse.

BlueFin said:
Trace was a good player, no doubt, but I don't see them as the same at all.

Trace was not near the junkyard dog that Matt Roth is, Trace was more cerebral and used his intelligence to overcome his shortcomings, Matt will just flat out kick your arse.

That was after being a veteran for years and his body wearing down. Matt is going to have to do the same thing after 8 or more years in this league

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
That was after being a veteran for years and his body wearing down. Matt is going to have to do the same thing after 8 or more years in this league

I'm not trying to belittle your knowledge because of your age, but I'll bet I remember Trace Armstrongs prime years a little better than you, he was NEVER the junkyard dog Matt Roth is right now, even at UF where I watched him play also.

BlueFin said:
I'm not trying to belittle your knowledge because of your age, but I'll bet I remember Trace Armstrongs prime years a little better than you, he was NEVER the junkyard dog Matt Roth is right now, even at UF where I watched him play also.

Man...I remember Trace w/ the Gators. FSU had to modify their entire gameplan to account for him. I recollect a comment by Bowden where he said THANK GOD Armstrong is gone....

Never watched Roth play so can't rate the two...but if he becomes half the player that Trace was then we will be happy campers. PLUS...someone mentioned earlier that he lines up opposite JT...this is a HUGE factor. I think this alone will make Roth a serious force. No way you can account for two monsters on the line and still run your standard offense. JMHO

What was Roths 40 at the combine? What was Kelsay? I think Roth is faster and has better moves at the point of attack. I saw them both several times in college Kelsay(nebraska) Roth(Iowa)

Kelsay was in a tough conference too. Colorado was better and K st was good too. Plus Olahoma Oklahoma st and Texas

Phinsfan1980 said:
What was Roths 40 at the combine? What was Kelsay? I think Roth is faster and has better moves at the point of attack. I saw them both several times in college Kelsay(nebraska) Roth(Iowa)

Roth ran a 4.74 at the combine, but was not happy with it... He ran an electronic 4.65 at the Iowa Pro Day... He is also one of those guys who somehow runs faster in pads... he is a high-adreneline guy for sure..\

I don't know what Kelsay's 40 was...

Back
Top Bottom