matt roth | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

matt roth

DolphinsD1

Starter
Reaction score
OVERVIEW

Roth is regarded as one of the premier pass rushers in the collegiate ranks and one of the toughest players in the country. He is a blue-chip prospect with a blue-collar work ethic. Roth is a colorful character who plays the game as if he is on a "search and destroy" mission. He is the source of a campus urban legend, as many Hawkeyes talk of the time Roth challenged and cleared out an entire bar in a fight.

Even in practices, the coaches have to pray he stays under control. They will generally blow the whistle early on plays, so Roth does not hurt any of the offensive players. There are times when he plays with such intensity in practices that the coaches must sit him down, even for walk-throughs.

Roth was a standout linebacker and fullback at Willowbrook (Ill.) High. He was a consensus all-state pick and named Illinois High School Athlete of the Year by the Chicago Tribune as a senior, totaling 161 tackles with four sacks, 23 stops for losses, 10 forced fumbles and a state-record 12 blocked kicks. He also scored four times while gaining 307 yards rushing.

Roth began his Iowa career as a middle linebacker, recording 19 tackles (12 solo) in 12 games as a reserve in 2001. He shifted to the defensive line in 2002, as the coaches felt he played with too much reckless abandon to be effective as a linebacker. Roth responded to the move by recording 48 tackles (22 solo) with 10 sacks, 11 stops behind the line of scrimmage and 11 quarterback pressures, despite starting only one game. Roth took over left end duties in 2003, collecting 51 tackles (32 solo) with 12 sacks, 16 stops for losses and four forced fumbles. Only Leroy Smith (18 in 1991) had more sacks in a season for the Hawkeyes.

With an additional 10 pounds of muscle on his frame in 2004, Roth put together a banner senior season, earning All-America honors. He ranked fourth in the Big Ten Conference with eight sacks and registered 15 stops for losses (sixth in the Big Ten), eight pressures and 49 tackles (34 solo) while leading the conference with three forced fumbles.

In 49 games, he started 25 times, recording 167 tackles (100 solo) with 23 quarterback pressures, 30 sacks for minus-192 yards, 43 stops for losses of 224 yards, eight forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and a pass deflection. His 30 career sacks rank third in school history, topped only by Mike Wells (33, 1990-93) and Jared DeVries (42, 1995-98). Only Wells (54) and DeVries (78) registered more tackles behind the line of scrimmage in a career for the Hawkeyes.

ANALYSIS

Roth is a well-built athlete with a powerful upper body, long arms, broad shoulders, quick feet, above-average explosion off the snap, narrow hips, and thick thighs and calves. His quickness allows him to be very effective on stunts, playing with his hand down wide to the open side to get after the quarterback instantly coming out of his stance. He does an excellent job of generating a strong hand punch, showing good extension to keep blockers off his body to shed.

Roth plays with superb field awareness and has very good agility for his position, making plays in pursuit. He demonstrates an explosive initial burst and can flash upfield, displaying fine foot agility when dropping off in pass coverage. Roth comes off his stance ready to deliver forceful inside counter moves on his upfield rush and has excellent recovery speed in pursuit. While he might be a little stiff in his hips and can sometimes come off the snap a little high in his stance, he uses his power to gain leverage and is very combative with his arms (rip and swim moves) to prevent blockers from containing him.

Roth has the short-area agility to penetrate the line, collapse the pocket and pressure the quarterback, doing a very nice job of keeping his feet as he works well transferring his weight. He has developed into a disruptive pass rusher who gains leverage with his strong straight-ahead charge off the snap. Roth stays in control and has a sharp and sudden burst coming off the edge as a pass rusher. He also uses his short-area speed to collapse the pocket and bring down the quarterback in the backfield.

His lateral and upfield quickness allow him to consistently get past the offensive tackle when attempting to penetrate. Roth generates explosion as a pass rusher and is very fluid delivering secondary moves after his initial thrust into the pile. He might need to add bulk to play at the next level, but his upper-body strength is evident by the way he can rip, stalk and drag blockers down with his hands.

Roth uses an explosive first step to gain advantage, but when he gets high in his stance (mostly when redirecting inside), he struggles to disengage, but his lateral agility lets him slip off blocks. He has very good leg drive and lower-body strength to gain leverage and prevent the opponent from moving him out when coming off the edge. Roth is best when playing on the move, as he has an uncanny knack for sifting out the play, spotting the ball and then squeezing through tight spaces to zero in on the ball carrier or passer.

His hands are a great asset, as he is very effective delivering good spin and swim moves to penetrate the backfield, control blockers and keep separation. He takes dead aim on the quarterback and has the explosive burst to get to his man. Roth is a high-energy type who does a good job of clearing his feet when chasing.

INJURY REPORT

2004 -- Suffered a left arm contusion on the first play of the Capital One Bowl matchup vs. Louisiana State. When the arm started to swell, the coaches urged him to leave the field to get it examined, Roth merely said, "I'm not coming out for this."

AGILITY

4.77 in the 40-yard dash … 410-pound bench press … 675-pound squat … 325-pound power clean … 33-inch vertical jump … 30 7/8-inch arm length … 10-inch hands … Right-handed

I really cant wait to see this guy play reading this has made me pretty happy and i think he will be a future probowler, sorry if this was already posted had to get away from all the ricky threads.

got it from nfl.com i didnt post the whole article tho there is more if u wanna check it out.

DolphinsD1 said:
got it from nfl.com i didnt post the whole article tho there is more if u wanna check it out.

Well your new to the site so i dont think the mods will really grill you...but please post the links to the article instead of the whole article

But good job on the info man :D

He is more muscular than Taylor,but not as tall so doesn't quite have the reach that Taylor has. I seen him at camp and he is fast way faster playing speed than his 40 time would make you think he is. I have a picture of him leaving the line on a shotgun snap he's on his second step and the ball is only half way to the quarterback.
Jason Taylor has made some mediocre de's look good playing oposite of him Ogunleye,Bromell. But Roth is the real thing these two will only make each other better as the qb will have no side to roll to to buy more time.
For more on Matt Roth go to www.scothawk.com they have some realy good vidio of him.

Personal to Budwalk with Page in your'e avatar it wouldn't be jukebox hero thats Foriner. I know it's none of my business but as someone that remembers them,and has seen Page play live with the Firm it's just been bugging me :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom