Maybe Van Ginkel Is Better Than Advertised? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maybe Van Ginkel Is Better Than Advertised?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
He was off my radar before the draft and after the selection I was ho-hum . Maybe Grier and Co. see more production from a player that is healed up during the offseason? Just hoping he can pressure the QB from a position that seems bereft of talent. You listening Charles Harris?

5d3c51670cc84.image.jpg

When healthy, Van Ginkel arguably held the title as the Badgers’ best pass rusher last year. Although he didn’t miss a game, the ankle injury he sustained against BYU in Week 3 lingered throughout the season, holding him back from reaching his full potential and affecting the entire defense as a result.

Even so, the Miami Dolphins selected Van Ginkel in the fifth round of the NFL draft in April, and UW must sift through a number of candidates to become his replacement this fall.

https://madison.com/sports/college/...cle_f92f2390-48ee-51e9-a731-9777847ee5d7.html

Doing a little bit of diggin research predraft it was evident that he played injured all year..

He was off my radar before the draft and after the selection I was ho-hum . Maybe Grier and Co. see more production from a player that is healed up during the offseason? Just hoping he can pressure the QB from a position that seems bereft of talent. You listening Charles Harris?

5d3c51670cc84.image.jpg

When healthy, Van Ginkel arguably held the title as the Badgers’ best pass rusher last year. Although he didn’t miss a game, the ankle injury he sustained against BYU in Week 3 lingered throughout the season, holding him back from reaching his full potential and affecting the entire defense as a result.

Even so, the Miami Dolphins selected Van Ginkel in the fifth round of the NFL draft in April, and UW must sift through a number of candidates to become his replacement this fall.

https://madison.com/sports/college/...cle_f92f2390-48ee-51e9-a731-9777847ee5d7.html

That's the main concern about him from what I've read.

Starting camp riding the bike of shame.

I hope Van Ginkel surprises us. Seems like a nose-to-the-grindstone type of kid. But, let's examine him at Wisconsin. He only generated pressure through schemes … not really a win your 1v1 guy. He has elite athletic tested ability, yet he can't seem to beat his man 1v1 in college. He doesn't seem like a special first step guy or a relentless guy or a guy with superior power. He's fast, but not quick. He is also older.

This all sounds negative, but just by way of contrast, I was super-high on TJ Watt when he came out of Wisconsin. Everyone was telling me I was delusional in calling him one of the best pass rushers and a definite 1st round pick. I advocated for us selecting him. He ended up being drafted a bit higher than expected and still looking like a steal. Dominant pass rusher. So, I have no bias against Wisconsin pass rushers.

I just don't think Van Ginkel can consistently generate pressure outside of being schemed. Fortunately we have a system that does that a lot. Unfortunately … I fear Van Ginkel may not offer anything more than the next guy who plays that role. I hope I'm wrong … and my fingers are crossed. But, my expectations aren't that high.

I don't see this guy as anything more than a late round "flyer". Is there any actual evidence to the contrary?

Could he make the roster? Sure.

Can he make an impact? Sure, but not likely.

Can he be a sleeper pick beast? Highly UNlikely

The kid needs to get healthy before we make ANY determinations...

Right now (physically) he looks like a wash out for 2019.

May have to wait until '20 to really see...

This board won’t like it but I don’t care. I think this kid might end up being one of those guys you regret paying legit money on a 2nd contract because the scheme did a lot of the driving

This board won’t like it but I don’t care. I think this kid might end up being one of those guys you regret paying legit money on a 2nd contract because the scheme did a lot of the driving

Well if we get scheme driven production and the staff is smart enough to know this maybe he gets that big contract from someone else? That’s a win win!

Luv ya hoops, but that's quite a leap for a late rounder, who hasn't played as much as a preseason down of NFL football.

I think there is a far bigger chance he never sees a 2nd contract (here, at least), than us overpaying him.

I hope Van Ginkel surprises us. Seems like a nose-to-the-grindstone type of kid. But, let's examine him at Wisconsin. He only generated pressure through schemes … not really a win your 1v1 guy. He has elite athletic tested ability, yet he can't seem to beat his man 1v1 in college. He doesn't seem like a special first step guy or a relentless guy or a guy with superior power. He's fast, but not quick. He is also older.

This all sounds negative, but just by way of contrast, I was super-high on TJ Watt when he came out of Wisconsin. Everyone was telling me I was delusional in calling him one of the best pass rushers and a definite 1st round pick. I advocated for us selecting him. He ended up being drafted a bit higher than expected and still looking like a steal. Dominant pass rusher. So, I have no bias against Wisconsin pass rushers.

I just don't think Van Ginkel can consistently generate pressure outside of being schemed. Fortunately we have a system that does that a lot. Unfortunately … I fear Van Ginkel may not offer anything more than the next guy who plays that role. I hope I'm wrong … and my fingers are crossed. But, my expectations aren't that high.
You might be right on all that. The good news is that we used a 5th round pick on him so if he doesn't work out at least we didn't waste a top pick on him.

Luv ya hoops, but that's quite a leap for a late rounder, who hasn't played as much as a preseason down of NFL football.

I think there is a far bigger chance he never sees a 2nd contract (here, at least), than us overpaying him.

I think he’s got a golden opportunity for that jack role slimm was referencing the other day. For this year at least. Has a skill set that Miami can’t really mirror elsewhere. But he’s highly run and chase and come free off games to the qb which is why schemes destined to do a lot of the driving.

Unless miamis considering an off ball lb type convert for it like maybe the Terrell hanks kid.

Back
Top Bottom