Mayes Gone? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mayes Gone?

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I saw this on Profootball Weekly. Not sure if this is old news to everyone:

Word is that TE Alonzo Mayes could be the first Dolphins veteran cut during training camp this year after his latest setback. Now that he’s expected to miss the first few days of camp with an ankle injury, he’ll be fighting even more of an uphill battle for a roster spot.

Hmmm I thought...

Originally posted by PhinKev
I saw this on Profootball Weekly. Not sure if this is old news to everyone:

Word is that TE Alonzo Mayes could be the first Dolphins veteran cut during training camp this year after his latest setback. Now that he’s expected to miss the first few days of camp with an ankle injury, he’ll be fighting even more of an uphill battle for a roster spot.

... he has been practicing since Monday, oh well I may be wrong.

Oliver...

I say good riddance. He certainly didn't turn out to be worth the draft pick we spent trading for him but it was still a worthy risk at the time.

Randy McMichael's ascension during training camp has really sealed his doom because the coaches are NOT going to release a hard worker like Jed Weaver in favor of a guy who can't figure out that he's not supposed to go blabbing to the press about how the Dolphins only get 265 out of 365 days of his year and he can do whatever he wants with the other 100. Sure, its more true than not I suppose, however its not supposed to be said. Its a Randy Moss statement and he doesn't have all-world talent like Randy does to make up for it.

I doubt dolphins will keep four TE although in "Sunshine Special" mention something about keeping four TE.Mayes will have to look dominant out there for them to even consider keeping four..

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by minus
I doubt dolphins will keep four TE although in "Sunshine Special" mention something about keeping four TE.Mayes will have to look dominant out there for them to even consider keeping four..
if you include Perry, we kept 4 TEs last year. However, we may want to keep an extra RB instead this year or even keep Draper around as the 4th TE again.
For now AFAIK, Mayes is on the team

Well keeping 4 wouldn't be abnormal for us considering Ed Perry's role as a long snapper (which is very...very....VERY key).

So it could be Alonzo and Shawn Draper against each other and against the rest of the roster. I think both will be gone if they don't contribute on special teams which they currently are not. Too bad for Draper I feel bad for him he might have benefitted better if we just drafted him as a Tackle and threw him in there.

This year I could see the Dolphins keeping three TE and keeping six running backs(4 rb,2 Fb).The fact is Ricky is not some one who can be counted to stay healthy for the whole season(even though last year he did) and Robert knees could give out any time ..

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing in Draper's favor is his size and blocking. It's nice to have a guy like that on the bench to bring in on short yardage. The problem is that McMichael and Weaver are close in size and both will contribute in the passing game and less in the running game. I wish Weaver or Draper were adapt at LS it would make things much better.

Don't count Mayes out..this is a guy last year had a lot of Dolphans fans asking who he was before injuring himself, if he get back in shape and form..he may have something to show before camps over..
Get him time..I think he'll be in the mix..

Re: Hmmm I thought...

Originally posted by Oliver

... he has been practicing since Monday, oh well I may be wrong.

Oliver...

Yup, he is practicing! On his first day back he hauled in a 35 yarder right down the middle of the field!

Back
Top Bottom