McDaniel Spoke About OBJ | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel Spoke About OBJ

Agree... What you really need from your OL is for your weakest link to be average... And unfortunately, you simply can't trust a rookie to give you that year one...
Yup. Even the smartest and most talented OL rookie is going to zig 20% of the time he should be zagging. For a contender, that’s a big problem. And our blocking scheme is more complicated than most.

That’s before you even get to the matter of adjusting to NFL speed and physicality.

Yup. Even the smartest and most talented OL rookie is going to zig 20% of the time he should be zagging. For a contender, that’s a big problem. And our blocking scheme is more complicated than most.

That’s before you even get to the matter of adjusting to NFL speed and physicality.
Yeah and that's assuming you actually hit on "the smartest and most talented OL rookie"... These odds aren't all that great to begin with...

I wouldn't assume any rookie, particularly one drafted outside of the top half of rd1, is going to be a day one starter and get 100% of the snaps.

I would say, in your premise, if you draft an Oline player who needs a learning curve he is almost useless. If you draft a receiver, even if he isn't ready to take all the snaps, there will still be opportunities for him.

Was going to post almost exactly the same thing. I don’t understand the people who think an OL taken at #21 is going to walk in the door and start.

Armstead and Jackson and Brewer are all locks. Isaiah Wynn is almost definitely going to start at LG for as long as he’s healthy. That leaves the RG spot “up for grabs,” but I think the odds that a rookie—especially a rookie who’s never played RG before—beats out Eichenberg and Driscoll and Rob Jones for the starting RG position are basically zero. Any OL we draft is almost definitely just going to sit on the bench in 2024 unless we suffer injuries.

Contrast with WR, edge, and DT where a first round rookie would almost definitely play heavy snaps, if not start outright.
I think it’s a great point - witb that said, I would be supremely happy with an edge, DT, etc.

My point still stands too - we can solve WR with $6-7mil… we cannot do that with DT, edge, RG… that’s why I’m using the money on Odell and drafting elsewhere. Odell will also almost assuredly perform better than said 1st round rookie in the role asked this year all things considered.

The basic premise of my post was not that OL is more important than WR or whatever… but that in our specific scenario, we can solve WR with money but our needs at DT, RG, edge, etc cannot be solved as easily and with as little money.

I think it’s a great point - witb that said, I would be supremely happy with an edge, DT, etc.

My point still stands too - we can solve WR with $6-7mil… we cannot do that with DT, edge, RG… that’s why I’m using the money on Odell and drafting elsewhere. Odell will also almost assuredly perform better than said 1st round rookie in the role asked this year all things considered.

The basic premise of my post was not that OL is more important than WR or whatever… but that in our specific scenario, we can solve WR with money but our needs at DT, RG, edge, etc cannot be solved as easily and with as little money.
Agree as to Odell, DT, and edge. But I think we could solve RG cheaply and easily by signing Cody Whitehair or Phil Haynes if we so choose.

In the short term (which is important for Miami to consider because we are a playoff team) what would be the better combo:

OL with 1st round pick who would get 100% of starting snaps (hopefully) plus a $5-6mil FA 3rd receiver like Odell.

Or

WR with 1st round pick who would get 100% of the 3rd receiver snaps (hopefully) with another backup $5-6mil FA OL guy who will compete for mediocre OL snaps.

Honorable mention for DL with 1st round pick who would also get a lot of starting snaps and be in the pass attack rotation.

I just can’t justify using a 1st round pick where we select on a WR who is going to need to learn the nuance of the system who will only get low reps and exposure in comparison to filling that need with a veteran who has the savvy. It’s easier to throw money at #3 WR and get effective results with not a lot than it is at starting OL or DL - the amount we spend for Odell won’t get us but a backup at the other spots.
You should go scout the top 8 or so WRs in this draft.

There will be an amazing WR on the board when we pick, there might be a couple.

I'm team Oline, every offseason I pound the table for Oline. But after seeing what kind of WR talent will be on the board around pick 21, its hard not to want one.

All I know is, I could never be a gm 😂 I’ve changed my mind 4 times just trying to post this😂 I think you just draft the BPA at edge/dl/ol at 21 then do the same in the 2nd! Or maybe take bowers at 21 and bpa in 2nd!😂
Bowers won't fall to 21, 0% chance that happens unless you have a video of him free-basing or doing lines. That Bong/gas mask video you have of Bowers won't move the needle in 24 like it did with Tunsil.

Your assumption that Odell will be better than a Rookie is grasping at straws. You have no way of knowing that.

Odell has had 1,300 yards and 11 TDs..... over the last FOUR seasons combined. Puke, who was a rookie last year had 1,400 in ONE season.

There were 13 rookie WRs last year who had better stats than Odell

Your assumption that Odell will be better than a Rookie is grasping at straws. You have no way of knowing that.

Odell has had 1,300 yards and 11 TDs..... over the last FOUR seasons combined. Puke, who was a rookie last year had 1,400 in ONE season.

There were 13 rookie WRs last year who had better stats than Odell
I don’t think it’s grasping at straws. Odell was a #3 last season and that’s also what a rookie would be.

Odells stats from last season are very good within his team and within the league. Don’t look at just his raw stats - look at his efficiency and yards per route run etc - he was actually upper echelon.

Anyways, if you follow along with my premise… do you disagree?

with $6mil and a 1st round pick we could get Odell + OL/DL is better than 1st round WR + $6mil mediocre OL/DL. Someone mentioned there is a 1-2 solid FA ol that could plug for us so that would be great and then it opens up BPA.

I’m not shitting on any player just trying to figure out how to be efficient with our remaining money, be competitive in short and long term, and cognizant that we need as many impact playmakers as possible right away.

I don’t think it’s grasping at straws. Odell was a #3 last season and that’s also what a rookie would be.

Odells stats from last season are very good within his team and within the league. Don’t look at just his raw stats - look at his efficiency and yards per route run etc - he was actually upper echelon.

with $6mil and a 1st round pick we could get Odell + OL/DL is better than 1st round WR + $6mil mediocre OL/DL. Someone mentioned there is a 1-2 solid FA ol that could plug for us so that would be great and then it opens up BPA.

I’m not shitting on any player just trying to figure out how to be efficient with our remaining money, be competitive in short and long term, and cognizant that we need as many impact playmakers as possible right away.
But the question is could a rookie WR put up better stats than OBJ this season? I believe so. There are lots of rookie WR's that come into the league that make an impact from day 1. Just look at the receiver the Rams drafted in 5th round last year as proof of that.

The reason this hasn't happened yet is they're trying to figure out how to fit OBJ and Kim's ass under the salary cap.

But the question is could a rookie WR put up better stats than OBJ this season? I believe so. There are lots of rookie WR's that come into the league that make an impact from day 1. Just look at the receiver the Rams drafted in 5th round last year as proof of that.
No. That’s not my question or premise at all. I am not discrediting what a first round rookie would do or if they would be better than Odell.

Could a 1st round WR be an effective #3 receiver? 100% yes and we better hope so.

My entire premise is I rather use a 1st round pick on OL or DL and get the #3 WR covered by paying Odell $5-6mil then addressing #3 WR with a 1st round pick.

Not sure that is the better question, TBH.

In any case, if you are suggesting that a rookie WR is going to even get enough opportunities to really make a big impact day one, while playing behind Tyreek and Waddle, I'm going to disagree.

It's possible, I suppose, but unlikely.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of drafting a receiver rd2, but that's because I see beyond this season. I wouldn't expect him to have a better year statistically than OBJ likely would.

Yes, I disagree, for 3 reasons.

1) I couldn't disagree more that the best player on the board when we pick will be a Linemen, I think it will be a WR and it won't be close. It's a very deep WR class. 8 guys have round 1 grades.

2) Odell is mid at this point in his career I believe a Round 1 Rookie will be alot better than Odell

3) Tyreek Hill replacement- pick a reason, hes getting older, he'll get a bit slower each year, he also gets more expansive each year AND he's one off field altercation away from being suspended.

As far as being efficient with Money, it's bogus, the cap keeps going up, there are loop holes everywhere to manipulate the cap, just look at what we did with no Cap room in the last 2 weeks.

OBJ's yards per target last season was 8.8, good for 33rd in the NFL. I'd take that as a 3rd option provided the price isn't overinflated...

Back
Top Bottom