McDaniel Spoke About OBJ | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel Spoke About OBJ

I was never excited about this anyway. We can do better in terms of a 3rd or 4th WR, I am sure someone is going to shake loose and/or become available.

I’ve been a big proponent of Miami being extremely proactive in bringing in a difference maker at the #3 WR spot. OBJ wasn’t on my list but Miami’s interest at least signals that they are searching for an upgrade.

Like everyone else, I wouldn’t love spending a lot of money on OBJ, but I’m not too concerned about it because I seriously doubt Miami put a big offer on the table considering he didn’t sign right away and I’m also sure this will be a 1 year deal- so if things went wrong, it’s not like we’d be saddled with an injured, overpaid OBJ beyond this season.

A lot has been said about his character, but the last 2 teams he was on won a SB and lost in the AFC championship game, so it’s not like this guy is getting in the locker room and ruining everything. Plus, this dude is literally perfect to feast on the underneath routes while Hill and Waddle do their thing down field. Im intrigued.

2 years 15m, 8-9 guaranteed, playing time incentive based.

Need a strong option of Waddle or Hill go down with some insurance.

Even better if you can secure this on a post June signing. Would even tack on a mil guarantee if he did that.

not really but the reason I'd go OL first is because we need a starting OL from day one while we're only looking for a 3rd WR so we can get that at 55.....the one OL I really like in the 2nd round is Beebe but he might be gone before pick 55........there are several WR's that will be there at 55 that would make sense to us
I think it will be funny when a lot of people on here have a meltdown if Miami’s first pick isn’t OL. Of course, I will be one of them if Fautanu is on the board and Miami passes on him 😄

I think it will be funny when a lot of people on here have a meltdown if Miami’s first pick isn’t OL. Of course, I will be one of them if Fautanu is on the board and Miami passes on him 😄
well, we have to see who's on the board.....lets say that Fautanu/JPJ/Barton are all gone but Brian Thomas is on the board......then I'm fine taking Thomas there and hoping for Beebe in the 2nd round

workaholics friends GIF by Comedy Central

Anyone else think we should be looking for a new future #1 to replace Tyreek as he is one more stupid off-filed alterercation away from being suspended and prob only has a year or two of great football left in him anyway?

workaholics friends GIF by Comedy Central

Anyone else think we should be looking for a new future #1 to replace Tyreek as he is one more stupid off-filed alterercation away from being suspended and prob only has a year or two of great football left in him anyway?
In the short term (which is important for Miami to consider because we are a playoff team) what would be the better combo:

OL with 1st round pick who would get 100% of starting snaps (hopefully) plus a $5-6mil FA 3rd receiver like Odell.

Or

WR with 1st round pick who would get 100% of the 3rd receiver snaps (hopefully) with another backup $5-6mil FA OL guy who will compete for mediocre OL snaps.

Honorable mention for DL with 1st round pick who would also get a lot of starting snaps and be in the pass attack rotation.

I just can’t justify using a 1st round pick where we select on a WR who is going to need to learn the nuance of the system who will only get low reps and exposure in comparison to filling that need with a veteran who has the savvy. It’s easier to throw money at #3 WR and get effective results with not a lot than it is at starting OL or DL - the amount we spend for Odell won’t get us but a backup at the other spots.

Production could be better coming off ACL going into 2nd year. Who loses receptions? Hill or Waddle? Only if we aren't over-paying. Otherwise, would rather select in Draft and develop to replace Hill in 2 years.
He averaged over 16 yards per catch last season. Truth be told, he still looks very good. Here are his highlights from 2023:

In the short term (which is important for Miami to consider because we are a playoff team) what would be the better combo:

OL with 1st round pick who would get 100% of starting snaps (hopefully) plus a $5-6mil FA 3rd receiver like Odell.

Or

WR with 1st round pick who would get 100% of the 3rd receiver snaps (hopefully) with another backup $5-6mil FA OL guy who will compete for mediocre OL snaps.

Honorable mention for DL with 1st round pick who would also get a lot of starting snaps and be in the pass attack rotation.

I just can’t justify using a 1st round pick where we select on a WR who is going to need to learn the nuance of the system who will only get low reps and exposure in comparison to filling that need with a veteran who has the savvy. It’s easier to throw money at #3 WR and get effective results with not a lot than it is at starting OL or DL - the amount we spend for Odell won’t get us but a backup at the other spots.
I wouldn't assume any rookie, particularly one drafted outside of the top half of rd1, is going to be a day one starter and get 100% of the snaps.

I would say, in your premise, if you draft an Oline player who needs a learning curve he is almost useless. If you draft a receiver, even if he isn't ready to take all the snaps, there will still be opportunities for him.

I wouldn't assume any rookie, particularly one drafted outside of the top half of rd1, is going to be a day one starter and get 100% of the snaps.

I would say, in your premise, if you draft an Oline player who needs a learning curve he is almost useless. If you draft a receiver, even if he isn't ready to take all the snaps, there will still be opportunities for him.
Was going to post almost exactly the same thing. I don’t understand the people who think an OL taken at #21 is going to walk in the door and start.

Armstead and Jackson and Brewer are all locks. Isaiah Wynn is almost definitely going to start at LG for as long as he’s healthy. That leaves the RG spot “up for grabs,” but I think the odds that a rookie—especially a rookie who’s never played RG before—beats out Eichenberg and Driscoll and Rob Jones for the starting RG position are basically zero. Any OL we draft is almost definitely just going to sit on the bench in 2024 unless we suffer injuries.

Contrast with WR, edge, and DT where a first round rookie would almost definitely play heavy snaps, if not start outright.

Was going to post almost exactly the same thing. I don’t understand the people who think an OL taken at #21 is going to walk in the door and start.

Armstead and Jackson and Brewer are all locks. Isaiah Wynn is almost definitely going to start at LG for as long as he’s healthy. That leaves the RG spot “up for grabs,” but I think the odds that a rookie—especially a rookie who’s never played RG before—beats out Eichenberg and Driscoll and Rob Jones for the starting RG position are basically zero. Any OL we draft is almost definitely just going to sit on the bench in 2024 unless we suffer injuries.

Contrast with WR, edge, and DT where a first round rookie would almost definitely play heavy snaps, if not start outright.
Yep. Rookie Oline is kind of like Corner in that respect if you consider yourself a contending team.

If you start them and they aren't ready, you can't help or hide them without sacrificing the overall effectiveness of the unit.

If he i

If you start them and they aren't ready, you can't help or hide them without sacrificing the overall effectiveness of the unit.
Agree... What you really need from your OL is for your weakest link to be average... And unfortunately, you simply can't trust a rookie to give you that year one...

Agree with you Marino 2.0 .......but I would select an OL with our first round pick because if talent is here, we need to pick talent where he is ......and this year talent is on OL IMO

Back
Top Bottom