McIntosh or Carey at LT | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McIntosh or Carey at LT

jbond

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
Left tackle Damion McIntosh agreed to restructure his contract, opening up nearly $3 million in cap space.

One of the key parts of McIntosh's decision to restructure his deal was that the Dolphins promised him they would not pursue another left tackle in free agency or the draft. The team has told McIntosh he will compete with Vernon Carey, the team's first-round pick in 2004, for the starting job.

Former starting left tackle Wade Smith might get another look at the spot. The Dolphins decided last month not to pursue a left tackle in free agency when Walter Jones re-signed with Seattle and Orlando Pace was given the franchise tag by St. Louis.

Beyond that, the Dolphins, who have the No. 2 overall pick, don't like the idea of drafting a left tackle because of a lack of top prospects. Alex Barron of Florida State is considered the top left tackle prospect but doesn't rate among the top 10 players in the draft, according to several scouting services.

The Dolphins are expected to trim more cap money later, about $3.16 million if wide receiver David Boston is cut and $6 million if cornerback Patrick Surtain is traded.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/11057619.htm

i would like to see a veteran there to give carey more time

LMAO do players really buy that crap? Unless they get it put right into their contract I wouldn't buy any line like that. Not like there was much of an upgrade out there at LT. Basically the teams protected. If he shows up to how he played his final year in San Diego they got him on contract without having to dish out a $10+ signing bonus later. If not then they can ditch him before the season starts without having to even pay the incentives in the case that Smith or Carey beats him out.

carey is more suited to play RG than LT so i would have to say McIntosh.

Since Houck was McIntosh's coach in SD before coming here, this clause makes more sense. He must think he can get a servicable year out of him either by himself or out of a scheme where he gets more help, i.e. the center or a back on passing downs.

I am eager to see what our two new Oline coachs can do with Smith as well. He has excellent feet and seemed to have adaquately bulked up last year. Perhaps they can find whatever it was he lost between his rookie year and last fall.

Wade Smith lost something between his rookie year and last year???? He got owned by any speed rushers in his rookie year and gave up 12 sacks on the year...The only reason he made the all rookie team as a LT was cuz there were no other rookie LT's that started the whole year.

makes sense, good coaching makes up for alot on oline, look at new england, i dont even know any of thier starters and they win all the time, need smart well coached guys

stan marino said:
Wade Smith lost something between his rookie year and last year???? He got owned by any speed rushers in his rookie year and gave up 12 sacks on the year...The only reason he made the all rookie team as a LT was cuz there were no other rookie LT's that started the whole year.

We are likely not to agree on this one, but I think Smith looked more confident his rookie year and more tentative last year. Like he was thinking more and reacting less. Coachs can teach skills, gifts like footwork and quickness are part of a player's makeup. I think Smith has the gifts to make him a good Olineman. Coaching will tell if I'm right or whether as you point out, he was just a one shot wonder, and a weak shot at that.

I'd rather Carey.... D-Mac could do good with Houck.

So, the coaches are going to let a player dictate how to improve the team?

Smells funny to me.

D-Mac had ankle surgery last offseason and at the time of the surgery he wasnt supposed to come back untill the 6th week. He came back in week 3. With a whole offseason to train and get back in shape he should be much improved at LT.

VanDolPhan said:
LMAO do players really buy that crap? Unless they get it put right into their contract I wouldn't buy any line like that. Not like there was much of an upgrade out there at LT. Basically the teams protected. If he shows up to how he played his final year in San Diego they got him on contract without having to dish out a $10+ signing bonus later. If not then they can ditch him before the season starts without having to even pay the incentives in the case that Smith or Carey beats him out.

Yeah but considering the facts, it makes sense, dont you think?

HH must think that Big Mac is a viable option for us. I still think that Wade can be serviceable with the right coaching and I STILL would like to see Carey as the RT, not LT...I just don't think he has the footwork for LT...I think moving Carey around will slow his development. Everyone knows he is known as a slow learner...keep him at RT and make it happen HH...

I have to agree with most of these post...MacIntosh at LT is the better option and keeping Carey at RT or RG. With DMAC knowing Houck schemes, I see him thriving better at LT. Wade might be a good LT, but it will take some years of learning. I see a big hole to fill on this line and that the center. McKinney is not very good at reading defenses, as is howed last year. I would like to see use draft Wilkerson from LSU who knows Sabans system and is one the top rated centers in the draft. I see our oline like this:

LT-MacIntosh, Wade
LG-James, German
C-Wilkerson, McKinney
RG-Carey, Hadnot
RT-St.Clair

Swaping St.Clair and Carey is an option

Back
Top Bottom