Mercury Morris - Old Timers With Good Memories Needed Here | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mercury Morris - Old Timers With Good Memories Needed Here

Agua

Fighting the media, one lie at a time
Reaction score
The official twitter account did a little tribute clip on Mercury Morris today and mentioned that 39 and 22 had the first dual 1,000 backfield in NFL history in 1972.

I recall there was something a little screwy about 22's yardage total. For some reason they had tallied him having 997 or 995 yards rather than 1,000 supposedly based on his not getting credit for some yards on some play. Then the NFL said they reviewed whatever it was and gave him the yards to reach exactly 1,000 yards for the regular season.

Anyone remember what that was about?

I'm old.....Merc had 991 yds...the dolphins manament asked the NFL to review a play that Merc had fumbled a lateral and not given credit for his yds before fumbling.
The NFL reviewed it and rewarded Merc with nine yds....it gave him a thousand for the season.
Hope that helped.

I'm old.....Merc had 991 yds...the dolphins manament asked the NFL to review a play that Merc had fumbled a lateral and not given credit for his yds before fumbling.
The NFL reviewed it and rewarded Merc with nine yds....it gave him a thousand for the season.
Hope that helped.

****, I'm old too and had completely forgotten that Morris was awarded yardage. Thanks, Namor!

Back
Top Bottom