MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here

Chrisbob said:
Out of interest, and purely hypothetical of course, would you take the Redskins first rounder next year straight up for AO?
That's a tough one. If there's no way we can re-sign Ogunleye, yes, I would trade him for a 1st.

The only question is, how high would that 1st rounder end up being? The Skins have the talent to go 12-4, but if Gibbs doesn't adapt quickly and all the new players don't gel, you guys could go 7-9 (which would be good for us, obviously). That's the risk for us.

Not a bad article. Especially if the numbers are correct.

Still, our 2005 2nd round pick resides in Philadelphia (for A.J. Feeley). And we have zero centers with experience outside of McKinney (who we spent a #3 pick on and are just now getting to see what we can do after two years of development).

Pretty much the same risk the Pokes took when trading with the Bills in this years draft.

As a 'Skins fan, I'm not setting my expectations too high yet, we do have talent and a HOF coach but we also have a lot of gelling to do and a tougher division with the Pokes, eagles and the Giants (who will suck but won't lie down like they did last year).

Anything above 8-8 will have me so excited about the future.

Chrisbob said:
Pretty much the same risk the Pokes took when trading with the Bills in this years draft.

As a 'Skins fan, I'm not setting my expectations too high yet, we do have talent and a HOF coach but we also have a lot of gelling to do and a tougher division with the Pokes, eagles and the Giants (who will suck but won't lie down like they did last year).

Anything above 8-8 will have me so excited about the future.
This is a little off-topic here, but what do you think of your QB situation? Is it really an open competition like they're saying, or is it Brunell's job to lose? Who's gonna start?

Chrisbob said:
From the link I posted above:

Trades do not have the same rules as post June 1st cuts as you said. It all counts on the 2004. We do save money though. We already have about $5M in cap room with Taylor to sign as well. With about $7M in cap room we can easily afford AO, Taylor and the rest of our draft picks.
No, you dont save money. 2.66million X 3years left on his contract is 7.98million. Subtract his base salary of 5.13million from that number and you are left with a deficit of 2.85million even if you dont pay Wale anything. (yeah right). Wale is adamant about wanting a 15mil signing bonus so subtract from your cap another 2.5mil (15/6years) for his bonus and at least another 500K for his base and when the dust settles you have cost yourself 5.85million against your 2004 cap. By your own admission you only have around 5million in cap room left, so how are you gonna pay for all this? Even if you restructure and/or cut some players to provide room, you still wouldnt have any money left to sign your picks (Taylor is gonna want big bucks). I just dont see any way the Skins could afford this trade.

in a straight up trade i'd love to have samuels for ogunleye. McKinney or a 2nd round pick is asking too much......trade wont happen

Chrisbob said:
First off, hello again Phin fans, how's it going?

Second, thought you may like to look at this article, please note it will only be able to be viewed this weekend as it's an insider access article and they are running a free weekend:

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/2/271952.html

Anyway, I looked through another thread regarding this deal and whilst it is only a rumour for now it is a very possible deal. The Ogunlaye situation isn't good for your team as he is threatening to sit and leave next year as a FA. The Samuels situation is a pain for the 'Skins because he has had a slump in form the past two years and he is a cap burden. The article above explains the cap implications of a Samuels trade from a Redskins point of view.

As it is, any Dolphins fan who expects the 'Skins to give up more than a straight swap will be dissappointed. No way the 'Skins give up any more than a straight swap. Fact is, this is similiar than the Portis/Bailey trade, the 'Skins had to give up more ( a 2nd rd pick ) because Denver were in a situation where they did not have to deal straight away, which is what the situation is now for the 'Skins, whereas the Dolphins have to deal AO as a new deal appears far away and you risk losing him for nothing next year if no deal is done.

As it is, it would appear the 'Skins have a slightly better stance to ask for more than a straight swap, maybe a 3rd round draft pick as well? Of course, some of you are going to get mad at that (no offense is meant) but I would say that is how most 'Skins fans would see it.

Some of their opinions are here:

http://mb9.theinsiders.com/fcpndhardcorefrm1.showMessage?topicID=34461.topic

Not long 'til the season guys, enjoy!

Basically what you are saying is?:
Here, take our expensive underachieving OL for your Pro Bowl Sack Monster head up. I don't think so. Won't happen.

Dont waste your time.Ogun will be re-signed.All of the info to the contrary is just posturing by his agent.We know what we have with Ogun.He is our headache.We dont know about Samuels.He is someone elses headache.Draft picks are like lottery tickets.Not worth it.

I really disagree about the Dolphins having to give up more. The situation is very similar with Portis, as Portis could of held out the entire year. Unlike OGUN, Portis would of had to hold out the entire year and not just the first 10 games.

Yankee has a good point.The Skins have more cap problems than we do.We can still make couple of roster moves to get under the cap.You do not unless you plan to redshirt Taylor.

"Redshirt Taylor" that is.(No pun intended [Well maybe just a little one])

Chrisbob said:
First off, hello again Phin fans, how's it going?

Second, thought you may like to look at this article, please note it will only be able to be viewed this weekend as it's an insider access article and they are running a free weekend:

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/2/271952.html

Anyway, I looked through another thread regarding this deal and whilst it is only a rumour for now it is a very possible deal. The Ogunlaye situation isn't good for your team as he is threatening to sit and leave next year as a FA. The Samuels situation is a pain for the 'Skins because he has had a slump in form the past two years and he is a cap burden. The article above explains the cap implications of a Samuels trade from a Redskins point of view.

As it is, any Dolphins fan who expects the 'Skins to give up more than a straight swap will be dissappointed. No way the 'Skins give up any more than a straight swap. Fact is, this is similiar than the Portis/Bailey trade, the 'Skins had to give up more ( a 2nd rd pick ) because Denver were in a situation where they did not have to deal straight away, which is what the situation is now for the 'Skins, whereas the Dolphins have to deal AO as a new deal appears far away and you risk losing him for nothing next year if no deal is done.

As it is, it would appear the 'Skins have a slightly better stance to ask for more than a straight swap, maybe a 3rd round draft pick as well? Of course, some of you are going to get mad at that (no offense is meant) but I would say that is how most 'Skins fans would see it.

Some of their opinions are here:

http://mb9.theinsiders.com/fcpndhardcorefrm1.showMessage?topicID=34461.topic

Not long 'til the season guys, enjoy!

Sorry guy, there's no way you're getting Ogun and a draft pick for just Samuels. Ogun is a top DE in the league. You'd be lucky to get him.

IMO I want either Ramsey, a 1st, or Samuels and a 3rd. Anything other than that and there's no deal.

yankeehillbilly said:
No, you dont save money. 2.66million X 3years left on his contract is 7.98million. Subtract his base salary of 5.13million from that number and you are left with a deficit of 2.85million even if you dont pay Wale anything.

Just a little help as you probably already know but stated incorrectly.

When you know the signing bonus proration you don't subtract the base salary. The total uncharged signing bonus is charged currently when a player is traded. If this article stated differently they are wrong.

If they trade Samuels the Skins salary cap will be charged this year with at least $8 million. The articles I read, and linked, about Samuels' contract said this year's roster bonus of $1 million was paid in March. That would make the charge this year $9 million.

I wouldn't do it. I thought before that Samuels was better LT than Ogun was a De. But looking at how many sacks he gave up last year it's really not worth it. I rather see what Wade Smith can do.

Back
Top Bottom