Merged: Art Shell for President, Saban's Miami Coaching Staff, etc | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Art Shell for President, Saban's Miami Coaching Staff, etc

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
I have a decent contact within one of the Florida based media outlets. I spoke to this person this morning about the coaching situation, etc.

They told me that as it stood this morning, Jim Bates would interview this afternoon with Eddie Jones, Wayne Huizenga and Spielman. But they said that the job is Saban's. He will be installed QUITE by close of play Thursday, but more likely tomorrow. I am told that there is a strong groundswell of opinion that he will keep Jim Bates on as Defensive Co-ordinator and Assistant Head Coach, IF Bates accepts. My source told me that Bates would accept that role, as long as he was able to have a strong say over the defensive coaches that he keeps including Bill Lewis, Clarence Brooks and Mel Phillips. I'm told that Eddie Jones spoke with Saban and Jimmy Sexton yesterday evening to apprise them of the situation.

My source then told me that Keith Armstrong would not be retained and that Derek Dooley would be installed as ST coach. I then asked about Jimbo Fisher, the Bayou Bengals OC and I was told Saban would LIKELY try and bring Fisher across although there seems to be some indication that LSU AD Skip Bertman is considering Fisher as the new LSU HC.

The most interesting news came when I asked about Art Shell. I was told that Shell 's interview was very, very impressive and that the cognescenti at the team came away thinking that Shell would actually make a very strong candidate for Team President, something that I had wondered about over the past 48 hours myself. I think that the lines of communication between the two parties are open and that when Saban comes across, there will be a conversation with regards to a possible further "interview"/"chat" about that particular position. To my mind, he would make an excellent figurehead and his knowledge of the football side and the business side from his role within the NFL for the past 5 years makes him a very interesting candidate.

And to keep you apprised with the draft, LSU LT Andrew Whitworth will declare. He's a likely 1st rounder. Miami TB Frank Gore will also declare and Roscoe Parrish is close to declaring also.

Boomer

Art Shell for Team Pres. is interesting, but I hope they don't forcefeed that notion down Saban's throat right when he's debating on whether or not to accept the job.

Let me him mold his staff the way he so chooses, and that should include VP of Player Personnel.

What role would Shell fill? Just the business side of things?

hey told me that as it stood this morning, Jim Bates would interview this afternoon with Eddie Jones, Wayne Huizenga and Spielman. But they said that the job is Saban's. He will be installed QUITE by close of play Thursday, but more likely tomorrow. I am told that there is a strong groundswell of opinion that he will keep Jim Bates on as Defensive Co-ordinator and Assistant Head Coach, IF Bates accepts.

This is good news.

Thanks Boomer.

Boomer! Haven't heard from you in a while. You have some intriguing possibilities there. Art Shell as president could be a coup on a lot of different fronts. It will be interesting to see how that develops.

Art Shell as president. Man ... I like it if for no other reason than it would make Harry "No Courtesy Interviews, Please" shut his yapper.

That would work for me, and sounds rational. Saban has to realize he's not bigger than the franchise.

Nice info bummer.

So all three who have interviewed will get jobs.Good average.

DrAstroZoom said:
Boomer! Haven't heard from you in a while. You have some intriguing possibilities there. Art Shell as president could be a coup on a lot of different fronts. It will be interesting to see how that develops.

Art Shell as president. Man ... I like it if for no other reason than it would make Harry "No Courtesy Interviews, Please" shut his yapper.

Hello Dr AZ....hope u are well mate. I'm usually found in the Ask Boomer section up top. Some good stuff going on there buddy, you'd only add to the quality there.

I think that any Shell deal will come AFTER Saban's announcement and obviously with the say so of Nick. After all, not everyone will want a candidate who interviewed for your job having a different and important role.

Saban basically will be handed a clean slate, that Spielman will not be part of the process and that a VP Of Player Personnel will be chosen. And don't believe all that Mort says about contracts not being exchanged, etc. I'm told that this deal is very black and white and won't take a lot of procrastinating over. It is the LSU Christmas Party tonight apparently and there are some rumours that he will announce to his players and coaches tonight that he is leaving and then officially announce tomorrow.

I like it because I think Art would be a strong Pres. If Saban were to be given the GM role as well, we'd need a Pres. who was able to keep things in check.

Smithboy said:
Art Shell for Team Pres. is interesting, but I hope they don't forcefeed that notion down Saban's throat right when he's debating on whether or not to accept the job.

Let me him mold his staff the way he so chooses, and that should include VP of Player Personnel.

What role would Shell fill? Just the business side of things?

As far as I know "team president" has very little to do with player personnel.

Its mostly the Business side of things.Shell has worked in the league offices for years so that would probably be a good move.

As long as it does not deter Saban.

CrunchTime said:
So all three who have interviewed will get jobs.Good average.

You know HWH Crunch, I think that would be HIS ideal scenario as well. I don't think Jeff Diamond or the guy from Seattle whose name escapes me are seen as seriously strong candidates at this stage and you know Wayne has loyalty, especially where Bates is concerned.

Canadian....There will be no GM, but a VP of Player Personnel EXACTLY the same as the Pioli/Belichick relationship in NE. There are 3/4 candidates with Floyd Reese, Tim Ruskin and Ruston Walker are all strong candidates.

Boomer, I have no end of respect for you man. Thanks for your posts.

I like the Art Shell idea A LOT! He's an excellent football guy.

I'd take art as President. As mentioned he;s worked for the NFL offices for a few years, so he has business sense AND is a football guy in a great old school way. I wish Bates would stay on, makes the transition easier for Saban and almost guarantees a level of success. We Is this Dooling guy any good at ST? What about GM and OL and OC?

Man it sounds to me this would finally put to the end of shotty front office work. Well at least everyone would know their role and be able to place blame accordingly. I just felt there were possiblities where blame couldn't place except on all with the current situation.
Boomer: Do you think Whitworth will make it in the NFL as a LT. If he does indeed declare and can show the footwork needed and can straighten his body out (very intense and physical player but plays too high or straight sometimes.) If he can do it I would immediately place a 1st round grade on him and would be extremely happy if we traded down to the lower half and selected him. We need a sense of physical play and he would infuse it instantly.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom