Merged: BREAKING NEWS: Eric Mangini accepts Jets job | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: BREAKING NEWS: Eric Mangini accepts Jets job

this is bad news, they might actually be competitive

Mangini has never been a head coach. He is not automatic just because he is a Bellicheck desciple. He is no Nick Saban. It does tell me that the Jets are trying to copy us.

I don't see them being competive right away. Their offense is really bad. They need a QB, running back, and wide receivers.

Ace88 said:
I really don't think that this is a smart move. Mangini needs more time as a DC to get in hang of things, but the Jets made a do or die move with him. I really don't know if he is ready to control a whole team and rebuild a team. Don't be expecting to go to the playoffs anytime soon Jet fans.

Yeah, young head coaches never work out. Let's have a look at these bums:

Georga Halas, 25 years old when he became HC of the Decataur Staleys (now Chicago Bears). Only the second most winningest coach in history.
Don Shula, 33 years old when he became HC of the Baltimore Colts. Only the most winningest coach in history.
Bill Cowher, 35 years old when he became HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Who's playing next weekend whilst we're watching.
Tom Landry, 36 years old when he became HC of the Dallas Cowboys. I think he may have won a superbowl or two.
Hank Stram and Chuck Norris were 37 years old when appointed HC of the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs) and Pittsburgh Steelers respectively. 5 superbowls between them and some very innovative coaching.
Paul Brown, 38 years old when he became HC of the Cleveland Browns. 7 Championships in 10 years is a pretty poor effort.

Finally Joe Gibbs was an ancient and wizened 41 years old when he first became HC of the Washington Redskins.

Funnily enough all of them except Cowher are in the HoF, and by the time Cowher's career is over he'll get plenty of HoF consideration, especially if he wins the superbowl this year.

Me, I'm frightened. The last thing I want to see is the Jets getting themselves a young HC who'll have a HoF career. I'd much rather see them hire some 55 year old retread who'll have them hover around 8-8 for a few years.

Of course a hit to the Pats has to be help to the Jets.

jtsacksyou said:
this is bad news, they might actually be competitive

Come on Bro, they have a QB with an arm that doesnt scare the DB's on the All-Nursing Home team. Their RB is past his prime, and their best OLman is coming off season ending knee surgery. Their WR's are average Coles is pretty good but isnt a huge threat. It will take more than Mangini to get them competitive.

Pauly said:
Yeah, young head coaches never work out. Let's have a look at these bums:

Georga Halas, 25 years old when he became HC of the Decataur Staleys (now Chicago Bears). Only the second most winningest coach in history.
Don Shula, 33 years old when he became HC of the Baltimore Colts. Only the most winningest coach in history.
Bill Cowher, 35 years old when he became HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Who's playing next weekend whilst we're watching.
Tom Landry, 36 years old when he became HC of the Dallas Cowboys. I think he may have won a superbowl or two.
Hank Stram and Chuck Norris were 37 years old when appointed HC of the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs) and Pittsburgh Steelers respectively. 5 superbowls between them and some very innovative coaching.
Paul Brown, 38 years old when he became HC of the Cleveland Browns. 7 Championships in 10 years is a pretty poor effort.

Finally Joe Gibbs was an ancient and wizened 41 years old when he first became HC of the Washington Redskins.

Funnily enough all of them except Cowher are in the HoF, and by the time Cowher's career is over he'll get plenty of HoF consideration, especially if he wins the superbowl this year.

Me, I'm frightened. The last thing I want to see is the Jets getting themselves a young HC who'll have a HoF career. I'd much rather see them hire some 55 year old retread who'll have them hover around 8-8 for a few years.

Good point, but did they have the same mess that Mangini is gonna have to deal with in their first year as a HC? I'm not saying that Mangini is gonna suck and never be good, I'm saying that it will be a while for him to do anything.

I consider this good news. It takes away from the Patriots braintrust, which should help bridge whatever gap is left between them and the Dolphins. NYJ will have to implement a new system, decide on a new QB and RB so I see them rebuilding and not as a serious threat to the AFC East crown.

GCD960 said:
this stinks, the jets are in bad shape but this guy could be good for them..

Or he could be terrible. This is really a huge gamble for the jets. This guy had 1 year experience as a coordinator and now hes expected going to take a crumbling Jets org and turn it around. The guy is young and who knows if he has the experience to manage an organization, handle players that are almost as old as him, and do it with all the pressure he is sure to be under.

I am not really afraid of this signing one bit. He only has one year of being an NFL coordinator and that is it. Plus, 35 years old? I think this was a bad move for the Jets, but a good move for the rest of the East.

Back
Top Bottom