Merged: Brunell Situation is Reminiscent of Wayne Gandy's Last Year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Brunell Situation is Reminiscent of Wayne Gandy's Last Year

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Brunell Situation is Reminiscent of Wayne Gandy's Last Year

I was thinking about this the other day. In 2003, the Florida-resident Gandy made it known that he wanted to be here. The media said it was basically a done deal. And we the fans thought it was basically a done deal.

And as soon as free agency began, a third party came out of nowhere and blindsided us. New Orleans had what we didn't ($14 million cap space) and offered what we couldn't ($5 million per season). A severe blow was dealt. And when our veteran incumbant fell injured (Mark Dixon), we were left with a rookie to hold the fort.

This year, we have Florida-resident Brunell making it known that he wanted to be here. And while we and the media didn't quite consider it a done deal, we both were beginning to assume that the wedding was being planned and that surely no one else would speak up, thereby holding their peace.

But out of nowhere, we have been blindsided once again. A third party has what we don't (a #2 pick) and is reportedly offering what we can't (that #2 pick). And another severe blow could be dealt.

However, some things are different this time around. Last year, when we fell short of Gandy, we had virtually no contingency plan. And with our incumbant starter being injury-prone, we could be left with a rookie (or young guy with one quarter's exerience) manning the fort.

This year, we're being blindsided about 4 weeks early. So there is plenty of time to counteract or explore other options........which are more numerous than last year's LT dilemma.......one possibly including the player being replaced. So it's not nearly as bad at this point.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

It would be nice if it was more comparible to Junior Seau. Gandy was going to go to the highest bidder. I doubt that Brunell has that same motivation.

Junior wanted to be with us. There were some last minute teams that made an effort to get him. Yet, the bottom line was that Junior wanted to be a Dolphin. A conditional (5th round?) pick got it done.

It's ultimately up to Brunell. If he wants to go a certain direction, he has a lot of influence to get it done.

Send Dan Marino to change his mind. Wait a minute...that won't work.

Someone get his email address...and let's get our voices heard.
:D

clear.gif

Ray Lucas is available ;)

This is why you need to keep OPSEC. Operational security. Do not let your enemies (other teams) know what you are doing.

I am going to resist saying the name that gets the party goin'.......I am not going to do it...........I refuse..............

No way....................

How many days are left till a certain QB becomes a UFA? :foundout:

Actually it's not up to Brunell (at this point). I'm reading that Jax is looking at a trade since their appears to be interest from a few teams. The up side is as Muck stated all of this is happening pretty early. I think I wouldn't mind seeing Ramsey down here. I also think we probably won't draft a QB in the first. I believe either an O-lineman or WR gets picked first. I hope I'm wrong, though.

The Jacksonville organization holds the ultimate authority on what happens. As Steinberg said, their (he and Mark's) is that no team will trade for a player that doesn't want to be there.

If Washington is the only player offering a pick, they'll probably just pull the trigger no matter what Brunell wants to do. Why wouldn't they?? A pick is a pick. And the NFL is a business. So Brunell's wishes and contributions might not matter.

The team that Brunell would get traded to would likely want some assurance that Brunell is willing to re-do his contract.

If Brunell does NOT give them that assurance...then they are stuck with a huge cap hit. I'm not exactly sure what the Redskin cap situation is...maybe a touch better than ours.

If Brunell had a preference (like Junior did), he could use his refusal to redo a contract as leverage to go to the team of his preference.

He has a family and he must put them first (like Dan). The taxes are kinder in Florida. He would be a uncontested starter in Miami. He would re-do a contract that gives him 3 years of security without having a Ramsey chomping at the bit to put him on the bench.

His choice does matter. However, he has to becareful not to dis any team at this juncture. He still has 3 weeks to change his mind.

The Jags can only do the deal if the other team thinks it's sweet enough to pay the price.

Shades of Wayne Gandy

I must say I really didn't have a strong opinion on aquiring Brunell, however anything to get JF + BG out of here, is intruiging. I just can't help but think that with this Washington debacle going on right now, and the outright assumption by the media and the fans that Miami and Brunell was a done deal, It just bothers me in the worst way, that we may be in for yet again another long disapointing year...especially at the qb position.

We went through the same thing last year with Gandy and we all know how that ended.

I'm not sure how much of a difference RS will make aquiring FA as opsosssed to him having final say on the draft. I do hope they really take a look at this Billy Volek kid from Tennessee. He did a great job last year filling in for McNair and unlike some flash in the pan backup qb's who come and play great but tank when they become full starters, He played sharp against a great Bills defense, with little to no run support. He went something like 26-41 and 290+ yds with 2 td's and no int's. And his yardage wasn't any fluke broken play with the reciever breaking a long one, he was sharp as ever when it really counted, which was the 4th qtr.

I know I'm reaching, however, I can't stand to see another JF | VFA | Sage Rosenfels depth chart.

Don't try to compare the Brunell saga with Wayne Gandy. Apples to oranges.

We just dropped the ball on Gandy. We figured he wasn't worth the big bucks. We were wrong.

With Brunell on the other hand, we're pretty much being taken out of the running by another party. It's not like we're not pursuing him, but we are hampered by circumstances beyond our control.

I don't necessarily know that we would have been all that much better off with Gandy last year. Getting him would have meant a number of the defensive acquisitions that got us through the season would not have happened. You could kiss Seau, Knight, and Zgonina goodbye probably. Sure we would have had better protection at LT but our interior OL would have been the same.

Seau was a big part of our run defense, and a lot of the dangerousness of our secondary in terms of interceptions stemmed off our ability to stuff the run without moving the safeties up. Knight was more of a ball hawk than Freeman ever was. And Zgonina filled in for an injured Bowens and an injured Chester such that we never missed a beat. I don't think that our defense would have been as dominant as they were if we didn't get those guys and I don't think we win 10 games without that defense because our entire OL not just Wade Smith had an off year, Ricky even admitted he was not running the way he should, and Fiedler most certainly had an off year. Hard to imagine a 32 year old LT like Gandy being the catalyst that changes all that, especially considering he was manning the LT spot for Brooks this season while Brooks ended up fumbling the ball like 15,000 times because of lots of pressure.

I know the circumstances were completely different

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Don't try to compare the Brunell saga with Wayne Gandy. Apples to oranges.

We just dropped the ball on Gandy. We figured he wasn't worth the big bucks. We were wrong.

With Brunell on the other hand, we're pretty much being taken out of the running by another party. It's not like we're not pursuing him, but we are hampered by circumstances beyond our control.

However the outcome is very much the same thing. In the end we don't get the guy we covet. you're right when it comes to dishing out blame on why we didn't get our man it two very different scenarios. However the results still stinks for us. It just sucks that we didn't get our man. For once can we get lucky

I don't necessarily know that we would have been all that much better off with Gandy last year. Getting him would have meant a number of the defensive acquisitions that got us through the season would not have happened. You could kiss Seau, Knight, and Zgonina goodbye probably. Sure we would have had better protection at LT but our interior OL would have been the same.

I don't know ck. The line seemed to underachieve last year. that says to me that they knew they were the weak link and didn't rise up. Whether it was coaching, the players, both I don't know. If gandy was there and he was playing well, maybe that would've provided the confidence the o-line needed to get rolling and maybe that's what bothered RW all year. Of course Ricky is a standup guy, the anthisesis to Leon, so he's not gonna blame the line.. which he shouldn't. But if he had some running lanes I think he would've responded well too.

In terms of defense our aquisitions were great, however the results were the same when it counted the most... no one could tackle to save their lives.

I've come to the conclusion that our defense is good not great but good. If our offense was good-great, then we'd be a serious contender. Our D is too old and getting too slow to be dependable all year so we need an explosive offense to get us out of jams. Building a solid ol is the foundation. we didn't and look what happened. hell look a NYG and what happened to their explosive offense without three starting ol.

This is all specualtion but I'm not so sure that not getting gandy worked out for the best because of the adverse affect it had on our offense.

What we should do is sign Billy Volek as an UFA and draft Rivers or trade for Henson. Also, resign Sage and let all three compete for a starting job and let the best man win. We have 2 guys (Volek, Sage) who have knowledge of the NFL system and just need a chance along w/ a talented rookie who might turn some heads.

IF our offense was good. But its hard to say that just getting Wayne Gandy would have made our offense good.

Its stretching things awefully far to say that Gandy's presence would have somehow given the entire OL confidence. Especially when Gandy didn't light the world on fire himself in New Orleans this year.

Our defense won us games. There were many times at the end of games when our defense pulled it through for us by intercepting a pass or coming up with big sacks. Our offense was pitiful this year in scoring points...the worst since, god I cant even remember when. That we could win 10 games with that offense scoring so few points, is a testament to how good our defense was.

Wanye Gandy

Originally posted by ckparrothead
IF our offense was good. But its hard to say that just getting Wayne Gandy would have made our offense good.

Its stretching things awefully far to say that Gandy's presence would have somehow given the entire OL confidence. Especially when Gandy didn't light the world on fire himself in New Orleans this year.

Our defense won us games. There were many times at the end of games when our defense pulled it through for us by intercepting a pass or coming up with big sacks. Our offense was pitiful this year in scoring points...the worst since, god I cant even remember when. That we could win 10 games with that offense scoring so few points, is a testament to how good our defense was.

was definetly a stretch, however you never know what would've happened if he had come to Miami.

The defense played well this year especailly in the beginning, however, the trend remains, They ware down in the end and fail to make big plays when they count the most. So yes our defense is good, theres no denying that, but they're not great by any lengths. the Washington and the Philly game alone, showed how this defense starts to crack at the end of the year. Knight, Zgonina, and Seau were all brought in to rectify that last season swoon, but non one could make a tackle in the philly game, or no one could stop Tim (who the hell are you) Hasselback from making plays.

Point is, A great defense to me is Baltimore or the Bucs defense in their championship year, long gone are the days of Baltimore's philosopy, and even though we've at times been compared to baltimore, one big difference is they had a helluva o-line that at the very least could open holes for Priest and Jamal, not to mention their special teams and defense scored points on the regular. Our defense creates turnovers but doesn't score nearly as much points as baltimore did, nor do we have a great o-line to just pound the ball because our qb sucks.

Don't get me wrong I think we can win it all with the defense we have now, but we just can't depend on them to win for us. WE need a great o-line and a good qb if were going to seriously compete.

Re: Brunell Situation is Reminiscent of Wayne Gandy's Last Year

I tell you after reading the loads and loads of articles on Henson, Brunell, Ramsey, Ray, etc , i.e. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ons/thursday/sports_04b2103c763231820027.html

I am thinking the QB situation is reminiscent of the GM situation and that Jay will start here in 2004 though a guy like Rivers, Ray or Henson may still end up here

Back
Top Bottom