Merged: Can someone please explain something.../here is more | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Can someone please explain something.../here is more

Phins34

Favorite Player: Sammy Smith
Reaction score
Can someone please explain something...

How in the Hell can Washington sign all these huge contracts and stay under the cap, where as we are bitching just to resign Tod Wade. I don't see how all of thise is legal, they just signed arrington to a monster deal, as well as portis, brunell. How can they manage this without going over.

this is from ProFootballTalk

A league source tells us that the Washington Redskins are poised to launch the "official" 2004 free agency period by inking Titans defensive end Jevon Kearse to a multiyear deal including $20 million in bonus money.

UNREAL.
I am not a cap expert but here is a list of big names and big bucks spent.
PORTIS!!!!!
Brunell
Coles
Morton (1/2)
G from Jets
Two good Tackles
Arrington
now Kearse????
I guess its better than flubalo getting him but it seems like the skins play within a different cap.

honestly, This really needs to be looked at. I heard there were rumurs that the Skins have been paying some people "under the table". Not to mnetion I think Chris Samuels has a monster contract as well.

you are comparing a 5-11 team w/no D and a QB that's getting killed w/a 10-6 (w/no O) with a top 3 D.

They have seriously backloaded many contracts. Skins better win it this season or next because cap hell is coming

Although their record is horrible, they were probably the highest paid team in the NFL last season, and defnintely are this. Just because they sucks doesnt mean that they get more money than us

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
They have seriously backloaded many contracts. Skins better win it this season or next because cap hell is coming

It will be about time. Seems like they have been over paying players for years now

I can't be sure, but being that they signed a long term contract it actually brings there cap down. Making there yearly pay lower. Also if i'm not mistaken there bonuses don't count against the cap. I can't be sure of this, so if i'm wrong then please let me know.

Originally posted by dolphan39
you are comparing a 5-11 team w/no D and a QB that's getting killed w/a 10-6 (w/no O) with a top 3 D.

Arrington and smith both had/have HUGE contracts on D. They also had 2 good corners in Bailey and Smoot. So they do spend cash on D as well.

I don't understand how they are capable of all these major signings even with them being backloaded do the math, even if they were, they signing bonuses alone for a couple of these guys add up to more than the cap allows????????

I'm just amazed how they can pull all of these players while we sit on our hands. And when we actually gut up off of our asses and make a move it's usually bonehead. i.e. Trading a 2nd round pick (which will in all likelyhood be our first rounder next year) for a QB who has played on 6 games. He may turn out to be great, but I think this is just too high of a risk, because if Feeley bombs out, we are screwed without a first round draft pick next year and what will we do. I'm just tired of this Front Office, when I see other teams really trying to upgrade their teams. We seem to like status quo around here.

If he (AJ) turns out to be one of the top 10 QBs in the league (as is rumored for the pick to move from a 2nd to a 1st) then he'll be worth it IMO as Jay is just about last isn't he? That'd be one hell of an improvement IMO.

Washington are said to be looking at NFL 'superstars' Jevon Kearse, Adewale Ogunleye, Warren Sapp and Shawn Springs in FA.

I know, AJ could be a great improvement, but I do not beleive it is worth the risk of the draft pick. Because, odds are that he will bust more-so than he could be great, and if he busts we are screwed. If it was a 3rd round pick I would understand. I still want to knwo what the conditions are for us giving them a 1st instead. I have a feeling it has to do with the # of starts he will get, which will be just about a given for them to give up a #1

Back
Top Bottom