Merged: Can't have Brunell AND Henson/Rivers/Losman/getting Brunell | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Can't have Brunell AND Henson/Rivers/Losman/getting Brunell

Brunell would not want to go a team that uses a first round pick, not because he's scared of competition. The reason is, when a team uses a first on a QB there is enormous pressure for that player to get onto the field. Leftwich did not beat out Brunell, he only played because they were out of it and they wanted to see what the kid had.

Why would Brunell want to go to an organization that is not putting their entire faith into him? Drafting a guy in the third to groom would still be a viable option and we may end up with just as good a player anyway.

Trading for Henson could be doable as well since Henson is at LEAST two years away. When I say that, I don't mean next year as his second year, I mean he'd need to sit this year AND next year before competing in the third year back.

I think some of you are missing the point about how things are in todays modern NFL.

Brunell was the better QB in Jacksonville. But, they used their 1st round pick and you can no longer take 3 or 4 years to prepare a top round pick. They cost too much against the cap to not contribute.

As we see in Washington, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Atlanta...etc, teams are forced to get there young QB's in and learning in realtime. In fact, the only real way for a QB to develop is to get on the field and get game experience.

We can't afford to have another 1st round pick sit on the sideline for 3 years while paying him millions of dollars. We don't have that luxery. Do we?

If a QB falls to the 3rd round...that is more realistic. Let's hope Rivers stinks it up at the combine and then we can grab a top WR or OL in the first round that can contribute from day one.

Well....Mr. MARK! Suck it up. The Dolphins have to look out for their future, and he can't POSSIBLY believe he's it.

He said he didn't want a team that used a first round pick (basically) this year on a QB....well....if we could get Henson for NEXT year's 1st round pick..................HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

STFU Brunell....that was a stupid comment. Face a little reality. You're getting old there sport.

That being said....I'd like to see him start for the Dolphins next year ;).

I didn't like Brunell before, and I like him even less now. Who is he to be dictating what conditions he'll play under? Take a hike Brunell...

I have a feeling Brunell's "reluctance" is being overplayed a bit -- quite possibly by his agent. I don't think it will be an issue.

Screw Mark Brunell. He's not even a very good QB anymore man. He'd be injured in a month with this offensive line the way it is. He doesn't have the bollocks to be making demands like that on the teams he wants to go to.

You know why young guys usually end up playing early? Yeah there's pressure to see them perform, but mostly its because the team is not winning! Baltimore, with a pudwhacker like Chris Redman over there it was no surprise to see Boller starting soon. When Billick said Boller flat out just looked better in practice NOW as a rookie, I don't doubt his word on it. But you know what then Boller comes out, and Wright comes in and they start WINNING. After that, ain't no pressure at all to play Boller so soon.

Jacksonville was in the tank this year before the season even started. Defense a shambles in various areas, questions about RB, and their best WR addicted to crack and subsequently suspended 4 games. Yeah, of course they went ahead put in the young guy to see what he could do.

But look at Cincinnati. Everyone expected them to suck but when they came out of the gate guns a'blazing and Jon Kitna performing admirably with Chad Johnson's help, well you saw how incredibly easily Marvin Lewis resisted the pressure to start Carson Palmer and he was the frickin #1 pick in the draft!

Pressure to start rookie QBs, comes down to winning games, and always did. If you are convinced that with your current QB starting you're just not gonna win a whole lot of games you make the frickin change to get your young guy some experience. The Jets waited a nice long time after drafting Pennington #18 before putting him in the starting line up (too long to be honest with that talent).

The Washington example one emphasizes my point as well. My god that team sucked with that gaggle of complete LOSERS they had starting over there. I've never seen such ridiculous QB play, and they were losin games. So you know what? You toss in the young guy if you know the seasons already over. Look to your future.

Bottom line if Brunell came to Miami and performed how he thinks he can perform and Miami continued to win games like we're use to, there would not be any pressure to start a rookie pick #20 quarterback in 2004...and probably not a whole lot of pressure in the 2nd year either depending on the results of the 2004 season.

Lets say Brunell comes to town, and since we're a QB away and Mark Brunell tries to convince us he's that QB, lets say he takes us back to the playoffs...and we do somethin we haven't done for ages it seems like, get past the wildcard round and actually battle for the divisional round instead of going out there and laying a fat hot stink nugget on the field.

Do you HONESTLY think, heading into 2005, fans will be all like "START RIVERS!!!!! BRUNELL'S A BUM!!!!!"

Mark better wise up on that stance he's taking about a first round pick especially where it concerns the Dolphins. Cuz his profile just got placed in the pu$$y file as far as I'm concerned.

Good job, CK! The Cincy analogy was dead on. I don't know if it was Brunell that was trying to dictate conditions or not, but if it was then Miami would have to add a condition or two of their own. Primarily that Brunnell would have to grow a pair.

Brunell & then take Andrew Walter or Matt Leinart* next year. Both are far more talented than Rivers & Losman.

A way around this Brunell situation is to either lie to him or trade down to the top of the 2nd round. One or both of those QBs will still be around.

Originally posted by rafael
Good job, CK! The Cincy analogy was dead on. I don't know if it was Brunell that was trying to dictate conditions or not, but if it was then Miami would have to add a condition or two of their own. Primarily that Brunnell would have to grow a pair.

Actually, the Cincy example is exactly what Brunell was talking about. It was great that Kitna was able to have the best year of his career. But will that matter when it comes around to name a starter? Most likely not. Kitna's cap cost will balloon this year.

Carson Palmer's cap cost will near 3 million. Marvin Lewis has already said that he will name the starting QB BEFORE training camp starts. The decision will be made with the teams "best interest in mind".

It is very likely that Kitna, inspite of his performance, will be forced to take a pay cut and play a backup role or get traded.

Kitna story

i still agree with CK....if Brunell plays well, he's got nothing to worry about....unless his agent is stupid enough to get him into a contract that forces a decision like Kitna's.....If he's smart he'll structure his contract in such a way that if he plays well his salary doesn't explode in his second year..

Originally posted by inFINSible
i still agree with CK....if Brunell plays well, he's got nothing to worry about....unless his agent is stupid enough to get him into a contract that forces a decision like Kitna's.....If he's smart he'll structure his contract in such a way that if he plays well his salary doesn't explode in his second year..

LOL! Think about what you just wrote...how can you NOT expect a greedy agent to get the best possible $$ contract as possible so that he can use it as a recruiting tool to gain more clients. :D

That's one of reasons that we have to cut Griese.

This one thing I know...we can always count on Agents being stupid for the team and smart for their client (meaning themselves).

Cincy almost has to start Carson Palmer because Marvin Lewis is in the rebuilding stage and he wants to get his defense up to par...especially his Defensive backs.

:lol: You got me there.....

Maybe Brunell can influence the agent in some way by saying that he doesn't want to be forced back out on the street because his contract demands that he either be cut or get paid disproportionatley to the team's cap...it can be done but, you're probably right....it's a dream...:D

Back
Top Bottom