merged:Dolphins release 3 players.../Meeusen cut is a surprise | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged:Dolphins release 3 players.../Meeusen cut is a surprise

Another reason he may have released Meeuwsen

Another reason he may have released Meeuwsen is because one of the safties who tried out looked better. The comments about not being surprised an undrafted free agent didn't make it are a little simplistic. You can't tell me half this board wouldn't be shocked if Kay Jay got cut today. Meeuwsen had a draftable grade and in general, undrafted players who are signed to contracts generally make it to camp unless there are injury issues. An evaluation process goes on actually before they are involved in mini camp. I agree money may also be freed up, and or a spot, but there isn't significant money saved here unless it comes from Jerman. Elam or Bigby may have impressed, but I would not say Miami is loaded at safety and needed to release Meeuwsen to give him a chance elsewhere.

Lee2000

Yeah even though he went undrafted, I heard a lot of people praising this guy. We are very thin at safety so it comes as a surprise to me that it happened this early.

weisdolphins said:
Maybe Saban is just trying to free some more cap space for Traylor and Law or Buckley

Only the top 51 salaries on the roster count towards the cap right now....I am sure none of the guys cut today were in the top 51 in salary on the team. So I am certain that was not the reason...

Maybe Saban likes Bigbi. Are there any other safteys we brought in? I have a feeling Tillman will end up being a solid player...He was a second round pick after all. He just has had injury problems. The saftey position really scares me, that and Defensive tackle.

Saban knows DB's. In Saban's mind, they either have the skill to play the position or they don't. He does not care only what their vertical jump or 40-speed is for a position in the secondary. He looks to how the move their hips, turn out of their back pedal and ability to find the ball in the air. After they pass this test, then he would worry about their speed and other measureables. Saban will, as he was at LSU, a very hands-on DB coach.

I think Ray Green may have made an impression on Nick Saban during the rookie mini camp. He's a guy that can play cornerback or safety, and he reportedly had a very good mini camp, showing a nose for the football. Also, Brandon Elam has been mentioned as a player that has made an impression on Nick Saban. Saban said that they would have to release some players before signing some players.

Glad we cut German. He was handed the starting RG last year and was so bad Wheatly beat him out. Wanny and Spielman gave him an extension last year too. Genius :shakeno:

cutting Meeuwsen is a bit shocking to me, but there were alot of other S's at mini camp and they probably did better.

Back
Top Bottom