Merged: Ewing Theory 101...read it, you'll feel better | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ewing Theory 101...read it, you'll feel better

Is this comparable to when Trent Green got hurt in St. Louis and Kurt Warner stepped in and led the Rams to the Super Bowl?

Hopefully we can be like the lions the year after Barry retired

Your theory sucks! Makes me feel worse with your Marino example.

It's not his theory, it belongs to Bill Simmons of ESPN. And there's a lot of good evidence to back it up. Two great examples from recent times:

1. Bledsoe gets injured, Patriots win Super Bowl.
2. Pistons trade Jerry Stackhouse for Rip Hamilton, advance to conference finals the year after, win NBA title the year after that.

I buy this a little. I think part of the reason Marino was never able to win a title was because the team relied too much on him. There was always that feeling "Marino can get it done" - he's one guy, you need a whole team to win in football.
Remember, in 2000 we had no Ricky, no CC, no Boston, no TE, and still made the playoffs (and won a game) Wannstedt was able to do it once. This could be a disaster, or the whole team could step up and play like the season rides on what they as individuals do.
We'll see soon enough.

How about the Rangers trading A-rod and they were expected to be terrible this year. They've been in first place all season so far. I'm just saying we relied on him too much and maybe now everyone elses individual performances will improve.

Ewing theory? I hope it's true...

I'm a big fan of Bill Simmons, aka Boston Sports Guy...he posted this article way back when: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/010509.html

It's basically all about how when the star player goes down, some teams actually seem to do better...ie: Brady for Bledsoe

Let's hope his theory rings true this year, we need all the help we can get!!

chrissy

Hope it's true and works out for us. I don't think we're as doomed as people say we are. This article has been posted a few times though. :)

I just posted a thread on this myself...I didn't see it earlier! I'm a HUGE Bill Simmons fan and now I'm a firm believer in the Ewing theory!

:barf: <---my reaction to the news

So if this theory rings true, then the Heat will not win the Finals(LA or Orlando will).

It makes sense considering NE won last year with no clear-cut all-star leaders on their team(even Tom Brady). The Heat and Marlins were successful last year playing as a team with no #1 guy on either team.

So the formula for winning in sports? Play like a team. Very occational exceptions, but no one guy makes you more of a contender than the other team with several players contributing to the success of the team.

Watch, the Heat will hardly make headlines come next spring/summer when the playoffs come.

Well we kept tryin to find ways to back the safeties off the run...guess we found it.

I guess there could be something to this kind of thing but I often find that when a "Ewing Theory" thing happens, its often a sign of bad coaching IMO. The Brady/Bledsoe thing doesn't seem to apply IMO because Brady is just plain a better QB than Bledsoe.

Anyway like I was saying about bad coaching we keep talking about backing off the safeties backing off the safeties etc...but shouldn't a great RB that makes a defense always know where he's at on the field at all times, provide you with more opportunities and more options rather than less?

I'm not discounting this theory. In fact I think it could be more true than normal for us in particular because the last two times we made the playoffs, were without Ricky Williams in a Dolphins uniform. But to me, this is a sign of bad coaching.

Teams aren't going to respect our passing game because our QB will be either Jay Fiedler or AJ Feeley, and teams aren't going to respect our running game because our RB will be Travis Minor. This will mean that defensive coordinators will play us however they want to play us, whatever defense works for them best, because we have no particular tendancies or strengths that scare them. For bad defenses, we may be able to find ways to take advantage, because their inability to focus on a particular player or phase of the offense, may lead them to be a little more unbalanced. For good defenses, this will probably work out very badly because they can play their base defense and have their way with us, and AJ Feeley would need to prove to be the next Steve McNair to make it all work.

Either we're going to sink far and fast, or this Williams thing will prove to be a polarizing force for this team but if that were to happen, the players still rule this game and someone will have to step up. Travis Minor would need to show me something that to date he has not...AJ Feeley or Jay Fiedler would have to show us something that to date they have not...

ckparrothead said:
Well we kept tryin to find ways to back the safeties off the run...guess we found it.

I guess there could be something to this kind of thing but I often find that when a "Ewing Theory" thing happens, its often a sign of bad coaching IMO. The Brady/Bledsoe thing doesn't seem to apply IMO because Brady is just plain a better QB than Bledsoe.

Anyway like I was saying about bad coaching we keep talking about backing off the safeties backing off the safeties etc...but shouldn't a great RB that makes a defense always know where he's at on the field at all times, provide you with more opportunities and more options rather than less?

I'm not discounting this theory. In fact I think it could be more true than normal for us in particular because the last two times we made the playoffs, were without Ricky Williams in a Dolphins uniform. But to me, this is a sign of bad coaching.

Teams aren't going to respect our passing game because our QB will be either Jay Fiedler or AJ Feeley, and teams aren't going to respect our running game because our RB will be Travis Minor. This will mean that defensive coordinators will play us however they want to play us, whatever defense works for them best, because we have no particular tendancies or strengths that scare them. For bad defenses, we may be able to find ways to take advantage, because their inability to focus on a particular player or phase of the offense, may lead them to be a little more unbalanced. For good defenses, this will probably work out very badly because they can play their base defense and have their way with us, and AJ Feeley would need to prove to be the next Steve McNair to make it all work.

Either we're going to sink far and fast, or this Williams thing will prove to be a polarizing force for this team but if that were to happen, the players still rule this game and someone will have to step up. Travis Minor would need to show me something that to date he has not...AJ Feeley or Jay Fiedler would have to show us something that to date they have not...

Or on the other hand, the absense of RW could keep Defenses off balanced and keep guessing. No one knows the potential of either Minor or Feely and that could play in our favor. Let's hope Wanny tosses out his conservative calls and grows some balls and starts BOTH players. Surprise the hell out of 'em. That way we can stop being so freakin' predictable on offense.

Back
Top Bottom