Merged: For those that Oppose Marino being Senior VP/Cris Carter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: For those that Oppose Marino being Senior VP/Cris Carter

akfinfan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
For those that Oppose Marino being Senior Vice Pres.......

Read up and quit looking for negativity, it's getting old.

Marino isn't inexperienced

by Cris Carter
January 12, 2004

My colleague Dan Marino is making the jump from the booth to the front office as senior vice president of football operations for the Miami Dolphins. Good for him. A lot of folks are wondering why the Dolphins would hire somebody without front-office experience.

They aren't giving Marino enough credit.

The work we do as analysts – Marino for HBO and CBS and I for HBO and here at Yahoo! Sports – actually has boosted our knowledge of the league as a whole. As players we broke down film and judged talent and became familiar with our opponents, and Marino did that for 17 years. That experience counts.

As analysts, we have learned so much more. We have accumulated knowledge about more teams and players. We have learned about organizational structure and how things work around the league. And Marino has worked hard at that for nearly four years.

That experience – and Marino's extensive time as a record-setting player – have helped to prepare him for this job.

Mod edit: We cannot copy whole articles that are copyrighted. Therefore, I've deleted the balance of this article. It can be found at the link you've provided.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cc-marinovp&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I'm sure somebody will have something negative to say though, there always is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Marino will be successful because he is a winner. He will be driven to success. He will do everything it takes to make the Miami Dolphins the best team in the NFL. Only time will tell but I think all the people with negative attitudes will change their tune in time.

Oh yeah, an editorial by a close friend of Dan's who ALSO has no experience proves a lot...

It isnt that Marino isnt given enough "credit,." I and others dont think that he will be unsuccessfull at his new position. At this point, I dont think Marino isnt given enough power. Everyone here seems to believe that Marino is the new God of the Dolphins, but he is merely an advisor to Wayne, thats all. In time, he WILL gain more power and experience and I believe he will eventually own the team. Then, and only then, will he be the God of the dolphins. As of now, dont expect many changes in the performance of this team for the next few seasons or more.

Originally posted by Rick 1966
Oh yeah, an editorial by a close friend of Dan's who ALSO has no experience proves a lot...

So I guess Cris Carter can be a SVP soon too then??
:rolleyes:

I'll just play wait and see.
I'm always hopeful Miami will do better no matter what and we will see fairly quickly the ramifications of this move.

That's wonderful, but

Here's my problem with the Marino hire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most personell men start out as scouts, highscool, prep, college, pro, etc.. They build a reputation/resume of scouting talent all over the country. Over a period of time, they start to move up the latter, as in any corp. Head scout,.. Director of scouting, Chief prognosticator of scouting...etc until they reach executive status which is VP or assnt VP of personell.

The scenario changes, and the circumstances changes from individual to individual, however one thing remains important. In any thing we do, over a period of time, we develop (what my old art teacher Mr Bates would call) "An eye" of expertise. The ability to forsee who's more of a bust, not because of his medical history, but because of his work ethic, posture, something detailed and not necessarily visible to the layman. Or the abiltity to forsee the playmaker, despite his lack of prototypical football attributes.

That article was great defending Dan's knowledge of pro football scouting, but what about his college scouting? Oh wait that's RS job... so what is it exactly that Dan does?

My problem is the smoke and Mirrors, It seems obvious that Dan's hiring is to take over for jones when he retires, which will probably be next year. I have no problem with Rick Speilman being GM. I bet the reason he got hired was becasue he probably laid out all of the potential draft selections he wanted only to be overiddin by DW.

I personally don't like the move, however, I'll admit that no one can tell whether this was the executive move of the year or a terrible move....It'll probably be somewhere in between.

To those who have all the negative comments. Crack open your piggy banks and buy the team. Then you can have a say as to who the owner hires and fires. Football teams are not democracies and the fans only have one way to vote. With their pocket books. You can complain and rant all you want too. Quit supporting the team. That is the only way to effect a change. Of course Wayne can turn around and say, screw you, and move the team. Bottom line. It's his team and he can do what he wants.

Re: That's wonderful, but

Originally posted by rhadaddy
Here's my problem with the Marino hire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most personell men start out as scouts, highscool, prep, college, pro, etc.. They build a reputation/resume of scouting talent all over the country. Over a period of time, they start to move up the latter, as in any corp. Head scout,.. Director of scouting, Chief prognosticator of scouting...etc until they reach executive status which is VP or assnt VP of personell.

rhadaddy, i think you and many other folks dont seem to misunderstand what Dans role will be. he is going to run the operations. he is in charge of making sure the organization itself is running full speed ahead. he is not in charge of scouting or drafting or anything along those lines! He is in charge of making sure everyone is happy and is doing their jobs. He is in charge of PR and things like that. I dont understand where people get the notion that Dan is like Ozzie Newsome or matt Millen. Matt Millen is a GM. Rick Spielman is our GM.

Originally posted by fairbanksb
To those who have all the negative comments. Crack open your piggy banks and buy the team. Then you can have a say as to who the owner hires and fires. Football teams are not democracies and the fans only have one way to vote. With their pocket books. You can complain and rant all you want too. Quit supporting the team. That is the only way to effect a change. Of course Wayne can turn around and say, screw you, and move the team. Bottom line. It's his team and he can do what he wants.

Yes, you're right of course---none of us are billionaires, so we are not allowed to criticize his actions. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rick 1966

Yes, you're right of course---none of us are billionaires, so we are not allowed to criticize his actions. :rolleyes:

You can criticize to your hearts content, if that's what blows your dress up. If it makes you feel better, have at it, but you're not going to change anything.

Re: Re: That's wonderful, but

Originally posted by finfan54
Originally posted by rhadaddy

rhadaddy, i think you and many other folks dont seem to misunderstand what Dans role will be. he is going to run the operations. he is in charge of making sure the organization itself is running full speed ahead. he is not in charge of scouting or drafting or anything along those lines! He is in charge of making sure everyone is happy and is doing their jobs. He is in charge of PR and things like that. I dont understand where people get the notion that Dan is like Ozzie Newsome or matt Millen. Matt Millen is a GM. Rick Spielman is our GM.

Make up your mind either I dont understand his role or I'm misunderstanding his role.

nonetheless, you obviously misunderstood my post. You're right about one thing, he won't be in charge of scouting, which I mentioned earlier. The problem I have with this whole affair is the smoke screen to coverup the fact that nothing has change except for a few structual changes.

If I can recall there were plenty of people screaming that if RS is ultimately chosen nothing will change, but since Danny boy is added into the mix, let's break out the superbowl tickets woo hoo.... C'mon now

You can criticize to your hearts content, if that's what blows your dress up. If it makes you feel better, have at it, but you're not going to change anything.

I've got a news flash for ya, NOTHING we say on this board will change ANYTHING about the team or the NFL in general.

True. I guess that's my point. Everyone has the right to love or hate a decision, and voice their opinion. I just think once or twice is enough. There is no real reason to create post after post, because as you say, it isn't going to change anything.

True. I guess that's my point. Everyone has the right to love or hate a decision, and voice their opinion. I just think once or twice is enough. There is no real reason to create post after post, because as you say, it isn't going to change anything.

Works both ways. If there's no need for those of us who oppose the decision to say it more than once or twice then there's no need for those that support it to keep arguing with us about it.

Back
Top Bottom