Merged: /Harrington....Our future QB ? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: /Harrington....Our future QB ?

DoggPhin said:
NO, no no no -- Apples and Oranges my friend. Career stats are two different time periods, # of games, different situations, one guy was thrown to the wolves as a Rookie the other wasn't ... Sure Daunte had an incredible 2004, everyone knows that. Weight of evidence it looks almost certain that his 2004 was a statistical FLUKE. Ever heard of "Regression To The Mean" ??

Hey - it's hard enough comparing 2 players on different TEAMS, who are under different Systems, supporting casts, and opponents. That's why QB Ratings suck, just a convenient little number for the fantasy kiddies to chew on. Ever wonder why you don't hear pro QB's like Marino, Boomer, Simms, Aikman, analyzing games talk about QB Ratings? Because that stuff is mostly for fantasy kids.

The BEST we can do - is try find an EQUAL basis of comparison. I just started with an equal Time Period - last year and this year. Recent history. Both QB's had their problems last year... You want to go 5 years back, like I said - more Apples in the Orange Bowl :)
No need to get cranky :wink:. I was just pointing out that Daunte is the much better QB if you compare TD per Turnover. And about that 04 season beeing a fluke. Fact is that season happened and it happened just 2 years ago. No way you can deny this. It was an MVP like season which is hard to come by. You can't expect a player to have such a season in every year. Most players don't even come close to it in a lifetime. Daunte had 2 other great seasons in '00 and '03 to back up his stats. He has shown greatness in his career multiple times. Joey simply hasn't.

Eliot said:
No need to get cranky :wink:. I was just pointing out that Daunte is the much better QB if you compare TD per Turnover. And about that 04 season beeing a fluke. Fact is that season happened and it happened just 2 years ago. No way you can deny this.
No argument there, bro. He earned his props for that incredible year, of course shared with the Team. I think it goes both ways for QB's - too much credit and too much blame, etc. Hey if Daunte can come back, and convince Coach he's able to contribute - I'll root for the guy. Sorry for my rant on QB ratings.

as far as I'm concerned neither qb is good but to pick the lesser evil, Harrington. I dont care if you get up and down the field in two seconds, and have a billion yds offense, if you cant score...then you lose....

Desides said:
Right here. There's also another guy, his name is Nick Saban, you might've heard of him.

Based on what? Because the coach sure doesn't think so.
well the coach does not seem to be doing all that well so dont put his opinion in with your statements. not a good idea

Eliot said:
Just adding some stats:

Career TPG:

Harrington: 66Int 8Fum 57Games -> 1,30 TPG
Culpepper: 89Int 36Fum 84Games -> 1,50 TPG

06 Season TPG:

Harrington: 4Int 0Fum 2Games -> 2 TPG
Culpepper: 3Int 0Fum 4Games -> 1,33 TPG

As you see they are very close. The biggest difference in stats between those two is Touchdowns per Game and Yards per Game:

Harrington: 61 TDpassing 0 TDrushing -> 1,1 TDPG 194 TotalYPG
Culpepper: 137 TDpassing 30 TDrushing -> 2 TDPG 281 TotalYPG
culpepper has fumble this year buddy, plus he cant hrow hes washed up. no randy moss no daunte, hes nothing without a amazing reciever

run-ronnie-run said:
culpepper has fumble this year buddy, plus he cant hrow hes washed up. no randy moss no daunte, hes nothing without a amazing reciever
He's had 3 fumbles this year but lost none of them so they are no turnovers. And he has played multiple times without moss and still put up stellar numbers. Even in '04. Please do some research before you post such things.

ralexand said:
I love how none of Harrington's mistakes were his fault. Seemed like Daunte suffered from alot of mistakes by others but the Harrington guys gave him no such benefit of the doubt.
I never said that :shakeno:

He's made his share of mistakes, but don't blame him for stuff he didn't do. That's why stats are so overrated.

run-ronnie-run said:
dont say anything about him much better than our old qb , you must be a daunte supporter.

and I guess that is blasphemy? :confused: This thread needs to be saved and busted out at a later date. So many people are being very short sighted, in the big picture Joey is just not going to be our starter.

I know you like Joey better and you "hope" he will be the QB of this team for the future from watching this from an entire 2 games. Sorry to burst your bubble. Daunte will be back and be the QB of this team for the future, so Joey supporter(s) get used to it. Joey is the one that's going to be our old QB when C-pepp is healthy again, so says the coach/GM of the team. Who you also may not like much either, but he actually makes the decisions on this team and said this is Daunte's team when healthy.

C-pepp is the more talented QB when healthy, and has more chance of success than Joey in the long run, bottom line he is not that old as some would try to make you believe. I will root for Joey while he plays but the guy isn't anything special that is for sure. He has played ok in spurts but hasn't showed anything that he didn't show in Detroit and I lived there for a year and watched many of his games and he is 100% healthy right now. So the ??? is what are all the Daunte bashers/Joey lovers going to say when Joey H. is back riding the bench?

Right now, Joey is the better QB for us and I support him fully. In the future, I believe Daunte is going to be the QB of this team and will be better than Joey. I support whichever one does the best for this team. If its Joey I'm all over it, if it's Daunte I'll be just as happy. Certainly Daunte wasn't ready to play this season, and Joey is the answer, for this year.

DoggPhin said:
You DO know that Daunte throws more picks than Joey - right? Let's take a look at these stats because I'm tired of hearing the baloney about JH throwing INT's. For 2005/ 06 he's thrown 1.14 PPG (pick per game) compared to Daunte's 1.36 PPG - That is over 14 games for Joey and 11 for Daunte. Gets more interesting when you factor in Fumbles:

Code:
*** TURNOVERS PER GAME 2005-06 ***

Games  INT  FUM    TPG
            -----  ---  ---   ----
Culpepper      11   15    8   2.09

Harrington     14   16    7   1.64
----------------------------------
DIFFERENCE ................   0.45
That's 27% more Turnovers Per Game from Daunte compared to Joey. Of course if we go back a few years further I think C-Pepp set some kind of record for fumbles so it's not even debatable. Sure you guys can split hairs about Committed VS Lost, and which INTs were the QB's fault or not. But fer cryin out loud see the Big Picture. Now can we please STOP this nonsense about Harrington's INTs??

Game by Game people ... the Packers is not a gimme. Nobody is taking this team lightly and I agree it may take awhile before some are sold on Joey as QB here. By season end I am confident he'll be a popular guy around Miami. :cooldude:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/fantasy/football/img9740728.jpg

I agree that Harrington is a little bit more careful about turnovers (not a ridiculous margin) but he just plain out doesn't throw a lot of TDs, or consistantly put up good points on the board.

PhinsRock said:
Right now, Joey is the better QB for us and I support him fully. In the future, I believe Daunte is going to be the QB of this team and will be better than Joey. I support whichever one does the best for this team. If its Joey I'm all over it, if it's Daunte I'll be just as happy. Certainly Daunte wasn't ready to play this season, and Joey is the answer, for this year.

Agreed but this Joey is the future and savior of our team is way over the top. It is only 2 games that are ok but nothing special.

jlfin said:
You mean like the 1st half of last season? :lol:

Wow, you really got me there. :rolleyes2 Yeah, he was actually hurt the 2nd game of last season, yes the same knee was banged up at that time also and I can see how could judge a guys career off of 4 games of one year when he lost his o-coordinator and a pro bowl center and write off a former pro bowl caliber player for the GREAT JOEY HARRINGTON. :goof:

I wonder how many times you actually watched a full game of Culpepper play in his career? Hmmm....I'm sure you'll come back and say you saw plenty but NFL primetime doesn't count.

Back
Top Bottom