Merged: Henson close to leaving Yanks reports ESPN/Why we need Henson/Educate me | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Henson close to leaving Yanks reports ESPN/Why we need Henson/Educate me

Bowl_Bound

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Why we need Henson.....

if we want to get a QB early. If we pick Rivers (or Losman) at 20 we will not be able to pick again until the late third round. No improvement in the O line or receiving core via draft. Not a single rookie will play and we will need to rely on the FA marketplace to improve, quite a bit, offensively. With our cap numbers that may be tough. If we trade next years #1 we can still get a top shelf O Line or WR depending on what is available and add a blue chip QB to groom. The only way we can pick Rivers and improve much next year is to get a #1 for wally, which would bet great. However I would still trade next years for Henson and get a kick a$$ O line AND WR talent. We need to improve this year AND get a QB to groom. Tough task!!

I don't think taking a QB is bad. Plus Henson hasn't played football in 3 years!!!! We can get a QB and still pick up a decent WR and some linemen in the other rounds.....

I agree

I totally agree with getting Henson. This is something we can control and the draft is completely unpredictable.This way Miami can asure themselves a QB( whom i think is the better of the 3 anyway) and still adress other needs. Like O-line and reciever.

The fact that he hasn't played football in 3 years is a bit scary. The fact that I think he only started one year in Michigan is even a bit scarier. But dread brings up a fair point that he's the one QB of the 5 guys we're considering, who we can get by trading away a future pick. I mean thats pretty big. If we surround the new QB with the right people and really groom him, that will help things out considerably.

But I really get a good feeling about Phil Rivers. I just think he can manage a game extremely well, has incredible timing and playmaking ability.

One thing we really saw on display in this super bowl from the two teams was armstrength though. Brady's arm is good, and so is Delhomme's...and they both went deep. It just strikes me how bad Miami's QB play has been over the past 4 years with Fiedler. Fiedler manages a game really well, but you need a guy to stand in that pocket and make teams pay for their mistakes. The Panthers send 3 linebackers in on a blitz, but the Patriots offensive line manages to bunch them together and hold a steady pocket for Tom Brady just long enough. If you saw this happen in Miami, would you think that Fiedler's going to make the team pay for this by completing it deep? Heck no. But Brady, the Panthers didn't blitz effectively enough and he extracted the price, tossing it real deep down the middle.

You need that! Make the defense fear you!

another positive of getting a new 3rd baseman

if we get a trade for Henson done soon enough rather than later, we can send him to NFLE to get some training like the Boys just did for Chad Hutchinson (RHP)

that w/b something we could not do w/a draftee

the only reason i prefer henson right now over rivers is because henson gives us a better chance to win now, indirectly, and still provides hope for the future franchise qb(only 10 months older than eli manning)....
Henson cant start at least for a year, which means brunell could come here and feel safe about his starting position.
We'd have our full compliments of draft picks(maybe a couple extra if ogun leaves) this year meaning we could get the WR help and beef up the o-line.

Furthermore, we'd have a shot at our QB of the future if he pans out and it would only be for a late first rounder assuming we get to the playoffs next season.

I'm against taking a WR in the 1st unless we already have our QB and Offensive Lineman. WR would be nice but I think we have enough weapons with McMichael, Williams, Chambers and Konrad. What we need is a QB who can deliver them the ball. I think we should keep Ogunleye, Trade next years 1st for Henson, and Draft a Lineman at #20. Then maybe try to get a WR in round 3. Letting Oguneley slip away would suck. We'll regret it next year if it happens.

IMO the decision comes down to which player (Henson or Rivers) you think will become the type of QB Miami wants. There are some question marks surrounding either pick. What I would not do is base that pick on what may happen at other positions. Historically, it is umlikely that any wr will come in and help this year. The odds are slightly better for OL, but not great. There is probably as much chance that Tolver or Simmons will develop or that Thompson will improve at wr and that Yates or some FA castoff will become a stud on the OL.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to get Clayton or Reggie Williams or Carey, I would. It's just that IMO the QB decision is more important and we really need to get this one right.

I think Henson would be an excellent choice. Remember this is the guy who beat out Tom Brady at Michigan for a starting spot. If he is anywhere close to the talent that Brady is i want him on my team.

My only concern is that he only played one year at Michigan, not even a full year at that because of injury, and then he took three years off from football altogether. Its like the guy is going to have to start over completely and almost re-learn the game. I don't doubt he's in shape from baseball, might even be bulked up from it (they're big on the roids in baseball...i have friends in it and they say that the stuff you hear on ESPN doesn't even cover the half of it). But bein a quarterback there's a lot that goes into managing that game and being use to the situations. We're talkin about some serious bench time to get him ready to start, and some serious growing pains when he does start.

Then again no doubt having failed at baseball like this will have matured him considerably and thats a huge part of bein a good quarterback. Same argument that was flouted as a plus for Corey Jenkins.

BTW with Crash Jenkins developing and Eddie Moore comin back from injury this season I honestly think we'll be fine at the LB position. Specially with Junior still around.

BTW I'm not completely sure Henson beat Brady for the start in Michigan. Brady was drafted in 2000, which was the year that Henson won the start.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
BTW I'm not completely sure Henson beat Brady for the start in Michigan. Brady was drafted in 2000, which was the year that Henson won the start.

Well thats what i read in an article the other day. I know that he and Brady shared playing time but it said that there was a point that he had beat out Brady.

Educate me on Drew Henson

Why is everyone going so nuts over this guy? I can't figure it out. I looked up his college statistics and he started his senior putting up *decent* stats at Michigan. 2500+ yds with 18 TD's and 4 INT's.. I think. Pretty good, but only one year. I've read several places that he was supposed to be a top 5 pick, but dropped to the 6th round?
Did he drop so low because the Yankee's signed him?
Why was he so highly regarded in the first place? Because he played for Michigan?
Why are teams still drooling over him now?

Educate me on Drew Henson.

I like him to because Michigan does an excellent job with there qb's whether they are pass alot there or not they seemed to do well in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom