MERGED: I keep comparing Feeley to M. Hasselbeck, but now.. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: I keep comparing Feeley to M. Hasselbeck, but now..

Dphins4me said:
I NEVER said he only played in 12 games. Stop skimming and try actually reading for once.

Dphins4me said:
Just want to point out that what Seattle gave up for Hasselbeck and what Miami gave up for Feeley was a huge difference. Miami gave up a No. 2 for an established player. When you give up a No. 2 for a 3 year vet then you should have some idea as to what you are getting. Feeley should be able to come in and start this season and play at a high level, but he may need to get the rust off since he has only started about 12 games since HS, and played very little since.
I suppose you're going to play the "I didn't say he played in only 12 games I said he only started 12 games" game??

Good, then how do you only start 12 games since HS and yet somehow get labeled as established??

Dphins4me said:
While what you say is true in theory, its not when applied to the 2001 draft. The 2001 draft was a weak draft especially for mid 1st rounders.
Seattle knew this, so trading down was not a huge risk for them. They played it like a pro.

Now, Miami has no idea what type draft the 2005 draft will be. Giving up a unknown high picks can come back to haunt you.
The general idea behind any future-draft picks is that the other team might get the 32nd, 64th, 96th[...] pick. After all, that's the goal. Now, Miami has no idea what the draft of 2005 will be, but I'm guessing they have a pretty good idea. Scouts work year-round for the draft and there's a sense in advance of what type of draft next year's will be (generally, I'm not saying there aren't any surprises).

I'm with you in that it can come back to haunt you, but it can just as well put you over the top.

I was of the opinion Feeley would not play against the Jags. Is this incorrect? I know Jay is starting game one and Feeley game two.

I thought each was playing a half and that Sage and Clint got 3rd and 4th Qtr.

Perhaps one is just playing the first quarter and then the other the second?

Sorry if this has beren answered, but 6 pages of griping about what, who, where is too much for me to read through.

Dphins4me said:
By the draft chart they did. By what they were targeting they were not. Seattle needed OL. They wanted Hutchinson. That is too high for a guard, so dropping down was nothing to them. They knew what was available and knew that the picks between 10 & 20 was same talent level in that draft. If you check at the actual players taken only Santana Moss has been a worthy pick.

Plus what most might not know is Seattle also had the No. 9 pick. Money & cap played a role in the move for them also.

You can pretend that you knew what Seattle was thinking and I'll pretend you're right. BUT, I don't think there is any way that Seattle could have been sure of getting Hutchinson with the 17th pick.

It still doesn't change what they gave up.

Which was more than what Miami gave up for Feeley.

we gave up a second round pick on a chance that we wouldnt get a better QB in the 2005 draft (in the second round)

Ill take it because Feeley could be the future.

inFINSible said:
You can pretend that you knew what Seattle was thinking and I'll pretend you're right. BUT, I don't think there is any way that Seattle could have been sure of getting Hutchinson with the 17th pick.

Thats a fact.

Hutchinson should have went way higher in that draft than he did. Miami would have taken him anywhere outside of the top-10 from what I've heard of their opinion on him that draft.

It doesn't matter now guys, let's see how he fares and go from there.

He is learning a system that is the polar opposite of the one he's spent his entire career playing in btw. Oh, and for the last time, Feeley was only listed as the #3 because Detmer did the holding. Reid has come out and said that Feeley got the second most snaps in practices (leading me to believe he was second string).

It was also speculated by most every reporter, coach etc that Feeley would have played if McNabb would have missed extended time last year. Detmer played against Carolina for the hope that McNabb ould come back in the game before the 4th qtr. (that one was for Mort)

PhinsTD said:
I was of the opinion Feeley would not play against the Jags. Is this incorrect? I know Jay is starting game one and Feeley game two.

I thought each was playing a half and that Sage and Clint got 3rd and 4th Qtr.

Perhaps one is just playing the first quarter and then the other the second?

Sorry if this has beren answered, but 6 pages of griping about what, who, where is too much for me to read through.

I dont believe he will play against the Jags (dont quote me tho) but he definitely wont be starting..(quote me on that)

What is the thinking around the NFL is that AJ Feeley isn't a practice player, (the opposite of d-thompson), but is better in game situations. I think the Hasselbeck comparisons are fair, but Hasselbeck was terrible his first season so it'll take some time for Feeley to adjust. Anyway starting Fiedler isn't the worst thing that could happen, the offense seems to have more confidence when he is out there.

The offense, for whatever reason, believes and respects Jay.

I think he'll start and do just fine until he gets injured, he always does, then Feeley will start his legacy.

MNFINFAN said:
So how does that explain Jay Fiedler and his dumb arse plays, after all his IQ is way high, he went to an ivy league school, but unfortunately so are his passes, believe me if intelligence was a major factor, Princeton or MIT would have multiple players and FSU would have maybe 2 in the league, (sorry I am a Cane fan)
I see you were impressed that he went to Dartmouth an Ivy League College:hail: Dont be .He was a Physical Education Major:woot: (No IQ test required) and went to that college because they needed some "warm bodies":help: to play on their football team.(Not exactly a powerhouse):lifter: .

inFINSible said:
I suppose you're going to play the "I didn't say he played in only 12 games I said he only started 12 games" game??

Good, then how do you only start 12 games since HS and yet somehow get labeled as established??

IMO, for him to get any notice at all in such limited exposure, he had to have made the most of the chances he got and displayed way above average physical skills. Otherwise you'd just fall by the wayside.
BTW, if you saw him against the U of Washington as a junior, and judged him on that one game, you'd take him in the 1st round.
FWIW :)

inFINSible said:
There is a difference, would you say not? Again stop skimming and start reading before replying. You seem to have a problem with what people actually say with what you want them to have said. We have already had this problem once and once again you have been proven wrong.

inFINSible said:
When you've been in the NFL for 3 years, then you are established. Just my opinion. You may see it differently and that is fine.

inFINSible said:
You can pretend that you knew what Seattle was thinking and I'll pretend you're right.
No need to pretent. Seattle needed interior lineman in '01. Also you skimmed over the part that Seattle already owned the No. 9 pick and that money & cap also was a major modivation for them to move down.

inFINSible said:
BUT, I don't think there is any way that Seattle could have been sure of getting Hutchinson with the 17th pick.
Of course not, but it was a calculated gamble. How many guards have been taken in the top 18 in the past 10 years.

I'll save you some time. Two.

1995 Rueben Brown (No. 14)
1997 Chris Naeole (No. 10)

So out of 180 picks in the last 10 years only 2 have been guards.

So it was a gamble, but a informed one at that, plus knowing what the teams between the two positions needed. Only Tampa took a OL and that was a tackle.

inFINSible said:

In my opinion it does. Seattle knew all factors before making the trade. They knew who they wanted. They knew who was available. They still had a top 10 pick. They knew everything.

What does Miami know? Other than they traded a No. 2 pick. I'm sure they have a general idea about next years draft, but they do not know for sure since underclassman will change things.

PhinsTD said:
Hutchinson should have went way higher in that draft than he did. Miami would have taken him anywhere outside of the top-10 from what I've heard of their opinion on him that draft.
True on Hutchinson, but he plays guard. Not a highly regarded position.

PhinsTD said:
He is learning a system that is the polar opposite of the one he's spent his entire career playing in btw.
That concerns me. He is simply a west coast type QB?

PhinsTD said:
Oh, and for the last time, Feeley was only listed as the #3 because Detmer did the holding. Reid has come out and said that Feeley got the second most snaps in practices (leading me to believe he was second string).
I do not believe anything out of a coaches mouth.

PhinsTD said:
It was also speculated by most every reporter, coach etc that Feeley would have played if McNabb would have missed extended time last year. Detmer played against Carolina for the hope that McNabb ould come back in the game before the 4th qtr. (that one was for Mort)
McNabb did not leave the game until the end of the 3rd quarter, when Philly punted.

Detmer did not come in until 9 minutes left in the game.

This is why I question just who was the No. 2 guy. Action always speak louder than words and Reids actions went to Detmer, not Feeley.

Back
Top Bottom