Merged: Jim Bates 2003 /"Tiger" Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jim Bates 2003 /"Tiger" Defense

Disgustipate

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
"Tiger" Defense...

Very nice to see Bates break that out once again. I really think we should use it on the Redskins, seeing as their offensive line is about as bad in pass protection as ours has been.

It really seems like most interior linemen cant really handle JT in a pass rush situation.

I think the Tiger D is when Jaosn Taylor lines up as the MLB, and they send him in on blitzes. If that is the case...I agree, we should do more of this because JT is getting double/triple teamed on the Right side...good to give him some open lanes to get sacks.

We used it first against the Bills. We line up 3 defensive lineman and then put JT at MLB. Not only does JT line up in the middle, but there is also a lot of shifting and realignment in the secondary as well.

This time there was a twist. We lined up three DEs (Wally-Burnett-J. Williams) and put Zach as the RDE in a three-point stance opposite Jon Ogden. On the left side, we brought Arturo Freeman up to the line outside the TE.

At the snap, Zach drops back into coverage and Freeman blitzes wide from the left (offense's right) side. Meanwhile, Jason Taylor charges up from the MLB spot pre-snap and blitzes. JT came in untouched for the sack, as did Freeman.

Great call, great play.

Muck I like the picture but you should have gotten the one from a second later on that play where Lewis caught Ricky and took him to the ground. Just an incredible hit.

Originally posted by Samphin
Muck I like the picture but you should have gotten the one from a second later on that play where Lewis caught Ricky and took him to the ground.

:D

Lewis never quit...that's a leader.

What was so big about that Lewis hit? Good hit, but he did jump into him :goof:

Jim Bates 2003

Last year we heavily criticized Jim Bates for his coaching and play calling. This year I think for most part he has done a great job. I am not going to include the Tennessee game because although Tennessee is better than us and should beat us, the final score 31-7 was a fluke. It happens to a lot of good teams, such as Buffalo 31 and NE 0 in the first game - it all has to do with the mental collapse which disfunctions the physical part.

Anyone cares to compliment Jim Bates?

I have a problem with our defense and I don't know if the fault lies with Bates or with the players...the problem being that they underachieve in big games. It really doesn't matter though, as Bates will likely be gone along with Wanny and the rest of the coaching staff, after this season.

Originally posted by RikWriter
I have a problem with our defense and I don't know if the fault lies with Bates or with the players...the problem being that they underachieve in big games. It really doesn't matter though, as Bates will likely be gone along with Wanny and the rest of the coaching staff, after this season.

While it's true they often crumble in big games, I think yesterday was a big game, and they stepped it up. True, it was a bad offense they were up against, but they came through when they had to. You're probably right that the whole coaching staff will be gone next year.

Originally posted by DolphinzD

While it's true they often crumble in big games, I think yesterday was a big game, and they stepped it up. True, it was a bad offense they were up against, but they came through when they had to. You're probably right that the whole coaching staff will be gone next year.

I should have been more precise, really: it's not big games per se that they have a problem with, it's big ROAD games, particularly big road games late in the year.

agreed...it seems like, for as long as this defense has been together, they have been amongst the best staistically. but they seemingly do not have that killer instinct, they cannot put teams away when they need it most.

I should have been more precise, really: it's not big games per se that they have a problem with, it's big ROAD games, particularly big road games late in the year.

Agreed.

Defense number one in points allowed - can't beat that.
Great D on third/fourth and short!!!

Where did that Taylor blitz up the middle from the linebacker position come from?????? I loved it and what to see it used a couple times a game!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom