Merged: Jim Bates 2003 /"Tiger" Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jim Bates 2003 /"Tiger" Defense

Now, I really like our D and statistically it is AWESOME. However, it just seems like the only time(s) our D really makes a game changing play (this year) is when the other team screws up. NOT us making an outstanding play (like Surtain's one-handed pick against Oakland last year)!? Anyone else agree?

Re: Jim Bates 2003

Originally posted by DolphinVJ
Last year we heavily criticized Jim Bates for his coaching and play calling. This year I think for most part he has done a great job. I am not going to include the Tennessee game because although Tennessee is better than us and should beat us, the final score 31-7 was a fluke. It happens to a lot of good teams, such as Buffalo 31 and NE 0 in the first game - it all has to do with the mental collapse which disfunctions the physical part.

Anyone cares to compliment Jim Bates?

The D this year seems to actually make adjustments. In the Ravens game, Balt. came out with three straight first downson the first drive. The LBs changed their alignments and started run blitzing and the Ravens had about 3 more first downs the rest of the game.

The main bitch I have with our defense is this:

If they don't get a three and out, the opposing offense USUALLY drives the field and gets some points.

I would like to see our defense be able to handle a team when they have converted a couple first downs, and still stop them.

I feel that this D has been a tad more consistent, but they scare me!

This is a really good defense but its the mistakes at critical times, like defensive holding or roughing the passer, that kill us. And we always seem to give up the big 3 and 15 with the game on the line. Mental, mental, mental.

Originally posted by HOBOFIN
Defense number one in points allowed - can't beat that.
Great D on third/fourth and short!!!

Where did that Taylor blitz up the middle from the linebacker position come from?????? I loved it and what to see it used a couple times a game!!!!!!!!

That was the "Tiger D" that Miami used earlier in the season. I think Miami first used it ag. Buff.

Yeah, we've only used our Tiger defense in two games this season, Balt and Buffalo.

Here's what I know about it: It's a formation we shift into usually on 3rd downs, in nickel coverage. Often on third downs, we switch Tim Bowens and Larry Chester out, and Jay Williams and Rob Burnett in at their places.

The Defense lines up in it's normal 4-3 D. Then it suddenly shifts. Then the line suddenly shifts over, with Ogunleye, Jay Williams, and Burnett becoming LDE, NT, and RDE, and Jason Taylor runs to MLB. He generally rushes up to middle between the Guard and Center on either side.

I think the hurdle by RW was better than the hit by Ray Lewis.

Ummm guys...that is why we signed those key veteran defenders...such as Sammy Knight, Seau, Zgonina, and Buckley.

The hit was so impressive when you see the whole play. Lewis gets clobbered by Perry and put face down into the turf, gets up, motors it over to where Ricky is (it is also worth mentioning that when he go up he didn't even have to look for Ricky, he just instinctively got up and went right to him) and just leveled him. The leap was impressive but dumb. I was shocked Ricky was able to hold onto the ball. I think some of his dreads fell off. :lol:

How was it dumb?? He was protecting his legs. And as we all know now, they're trying to kill you out there. If you don't hurt him, he's going to hurt you. We don't care about nuthin but this U. I'M A F@#*KING SOLDIER!!

wow...yeah thats pretty cool I must say.

I really wish i had the chance to watch the game to see something like that, hopefully theyll try a few against the Reds this weekend

Back
Top Bottom