Merged: John St. Clair in Town? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: John St. Clair in Town?

PrOpAiN

It is what it is...
Club Member
Reaction score
John St. Clair in Town?

I don't know anything about him, however I read that he was due in town on the 10th. I'm pretty sure there has been no mention of him as of yet. Does anyone know why he didn't start last year? Could he be someone to fill in while Mack is rehabing? What are your thoughts?

free agent visits

He didn't start because the Rams tackles are Pace and Turley.
That's all I know.

He's listed as a center but he has played & started at RT in the past. He's just someone to add for depth at both center & RT, something we need for both positions.

He started 16 games at RT in 2002 and gave up 7.75 sacks & no holds, but the Rams attempted 635 passes that year.
He is a good run blocker inline and can get movement.

Wade by comparsion in 03 gave up 5.5 sacks as the Dolphins attempted 450 passes.

I think that works out to 1 sack about every 82 attempts for each.

St. Clair was an All-American 1st team center in college, but I don't think he was played there with the Rams. Besides the 16 starts in '02 he has been a backup.
I was hoping that we would draft him as a center back in 2000, and he would be an interesting addition now as a RT until McIntosh is ready and a reserve for both there and center. He could probably play RG ok too.

Hes a walking turnstyle. I hope we look elsewhere for an OT.

I dunno, the Rams don't exactly play a heavy protection scheeme with their backfield, so the O-Linement tend to be on their on without help from the backs or the TE.

Your typical Right tackle gives up a sack every 70 or so pass attempts on average. (it's a bit of an estimeate that I grabbed from sampling a half dozen guys that I fet spread the chart from Wall to scrub.)

so his pass protection numbers seem pretty good (admittedly I haven't seen much of him though) and the offense indicates that those numbers are if anything conservative since the Rams don't give their linemen much help, so it would seem that he'd be okay pass blocking.

I'm more curious about his runblocking skills though. Anybody with any insight?

I don't think he's anything special, but if we're just looking for a stopgap replacement until McIntosh is ready to go, he's fine. I wouldn't call him a turnstile, either. Again, look at the respectable numbers and consider that he was pass-blocking for the cement-shoed Kurt Warner for a good part of the year.

I would add that if he can play center, he can probably play guard as well. Thus, he could start the year at tackle, and if he plays well enough, when McIntosh comes back, St. Clair might be able to replace a struggling starter elsewhere on the line if need be. Or be the top backup at a couple different spots.

I believe we took a look at John St. Clair once before. He was the best center in his draft I think, if I'm remembering right. There aren't many guys out there that can play RT anymore and we need someone cuz McIntosh won't be ready to start the season. He might not be able to play at all this season.

Would be a good addition at the right price. Stop gap starter at 2 positions and could back-up 3 positions. Sounds like you are signing 2 and a half players.

Back
Top Bottom