Merged: Jon Kitna/Lewis names Palmer as Kitna fights disappointment | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jon Kitna/Lewis names Palmer as Kitna fights disappointment

I would put Kitna in that group of soon-to-be-cut QBs like Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner, in that they probably won't go anywhere where they aren't assured of starting.

Now, does that mean that I think someone will assure Kitna of a starting job? No. But I do think he will hold out for one until the last minute. And I don't think we'll want to wait around that long to get our backup. In fact, I'm certain we won't, because it looks like Fiedler is coming back.

Originally posted by phunwin
I would put Kitna in that group of soon-to-be-cut QBs like Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner, in that they probably won't go anywhere where they aren't assured of starting.

Now, does that mean that I think someone will assure Kitna of a starting job? No. But I do think he will hold out for one until the last minute. And I don't think we'll want to wait around that long to get our backup. In fact, I'm certain we won't, because it looks like Fiedler is coming back.

Thanks Phun.

that's bull****...Kitna was excellent last year and this is how he gets rewarded?...this reeks of a GM or Ownership call...I don't believe Marvin Lewis made this move

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
that's bull****...Kitna was excellent last year and this is how he gets rewarded?...this reeks of a GM or Ownership call...I don't believe Marvin Lewis made this move

I agree Cw. What a way to payback a qb who brought them to the best record since when? 1990?

Really bad move on Lewis' part.

I posted this in another thread CW. When you are paying a first round draft pick top money, you want him to do something other than sit on bench. One year you could live with, but two years or more and it is a negative return on your investment really.

I agree this smacks of an ownership call, but it is one I can understand. I really think they didn't expect Kitna to do as well as he did and it threw a monkey wrench into their plans.

he said he is willing to restructure to be the backup for next season but is thinking what he wants to do long term. He isn't an option for us. I posted this earlier under another thread dealing with Portis signing to the Skins. It's now been moved under the General NFL forum.

I usually read and re-read many of the posts on this board. After all, I'm on 24 / 7. Sorry I missed these earlier posts.

Thanks for the info though.

nj

I live in Ohio and you need to understand how STUPID Mike Brown is, he's the Bengals owner.

This is right up his alley.

This was more of a decision made by Mike Brown, not Marvin Lewis. I agree with the move 100%. There is no doubt Palmer is more talent than Kitna in terms of arm strength, accuracy, & mobility. The only thing seperating the two is experience. Kitna has had just one good year in his career & he'll be 32 this year.
The only thing I disagree with the Bengals is not letting Kitna go to seek a starting job elsewhere.

they probably would except he said he'd stay and restructure. So, to them he'd be a good backup as he knows the system and did pretty well last year, and the shot of him starting elsewhere is small.

I don't find this surprising. Palmer was the #1 pick in the last draft, they weren't going to have him sitting on the bench in his second season. Kitna did a pretty good job last year but they are spending a lot of money and Palmer and ownership probably doesn't want to see a player making so much money not starting.

Originally posted by jbond
they probably would except he said he'd stay and restructure. So, to them he'd be a good backup as he knows the system and did pretty well last year, and the shot of him starting elsewhere is small.

Sounds like Jay - except the part about doing pretty well last year.

Kitna had a hell of a year last year!

Jay did not!

Back
Top Bottom