Merged: Larry Allen available after June 1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Larry Allen available after June 1

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
Larry Allen available after June 1

Allen won't be back with the 'Boys

I know this was speculated on in earlier threads, but apparently, Allen's departure is now as official as it's going to get until June 1.

This might be a nice fallback depending on where we are when the draft dust settles.

Larry Allen

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-cowboysallenwontbeba&prov=fanball&type=lgns

It appears that Larry Allen will now definitely be released by the Cowboys. Do we want him? I would think the change of scenery would do him some good and get him in shape, which seems to be his primary issue. I would love to plug him in at RG for a year or so and let him mentor Whitley and a draft choice until either is ready to go. Could he be the mystery release man? One would think that there is some sort of pipeline of communication between members of the Cowboys and our current or recent staff between Wise, Norv, and Wannstedt. Could Larry Allen be part of the plan all along?? 50% of Larry Allen is better than 100% of Todd Perry, Taylor Whitley, or any rookie in his first year. This line desperately needs a veteran with more than a couple of years of experience. We are presently very young and inexperienced for the most part. The new youth movement is a very good thing, but adding a veteran of Allen's caliber, albeit not what it used to be, would be beneficial.

Good. If Andrews is not there, take Starks or move down for Jones.

I wouldn't mind if we got Allen depending on how the draft goes for us. He could be a leader probably for the young guys. He's won superbowls and he's being an all pro so if the price is right I'd do it.

Ozzy rules!!

^^^^^ Pretty much what he said.

Ditto... I mean look how well Donnalley played in Carolina this past season. A change of scenery could do the trick :bling:

Allen would be a great addition but there are probably other teams out there who'd hunt for him too.

He will make our OL even better. With the leadership he can shows for our young OL guys and plus he can show whitley something or two to make him better and get him(whitley) to become a starter whenever allen retire's.

Interesting note. We are said to be considering resigning Todd Perry (D.O.B. 11/28/70) Larry Allen's D.O.B.?? 11/27/71 !!!! One day shy of being a year younger than another guy who we might have considered. This is beginning to look like a very good idea to me.

Might be a good pick up at the vet minimum after he is cut, better than Perry, but Perry will sign for the vet min. Allen is likely to have other suitors, although he has a connection here with DW, TW, etc...Could be interesting though....

This all assumes Larry doesn't retire. The past season or two he has not played or practiced like a man that wants to continue playing in this league. He's got all the money he could ever want I think....reminds me of Richmond Webb that way. I think he forced Dallas' hand on purpose. If he outright retired I think he would have had to give back like $8 million of his $13 million signing bonus from 2002.

You're talking about giving one of the best linemen ever to play the game, a guy with a super bowl ring already, the veterans minimum to come down to Miami and fill in for a year or two.

Does anyone else see Larry laughing at us?

Allen would definitely be a good pickup and is better than what we have at LG. However, I can't help but think that a bunch of teams will have interest in him and that he won't be cheap (even though he is a June 1st cut).

He won't be cheap because he'll just say hey if you don't pay me X amount I'm just retiring. I've got plenty of money.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
This all assumes Larry doesn't retire. The past season or two he has not played or practiced like a man that wants to continue playing in this league. He's got all the money he could ever want I think....reminds me of Richmond Webb that way. I think he forced Dallas' hand on purpose. If he outright retired I think he would have had to give back like $8 million of his $13 million signing bonus from 2002.

You're talking about giving one of the best linemen ever to play the game, a guy with a super bowl ring already, the veterans minimum to come down to Miami and fill in for a year or two.

Does anyone else see Larry laughing at us?

Keep in mind this is the same guy who played with a leg TIED to his tackle so he could stand up. He still gave up less sacks than most or out guys. I cant question his heart or his ability.

The caveat being..... he may just want another ring... and if he can play at anywhere near his ability that clears up yet another question mark for this team....

Would Jeno James then slide to RG?

We do not NEED to have him , BUT it could be very very intriguing and allow Miami yet more flexibility in the draft .....

hmmmmmm.....

Back
Top Bottom