Merged: Latest Peter Pricko trash! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Latest Peter Pricko trash!

hellhound13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Latest Peter Pricko trash!

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7165325

It's absolutely mind-boggling the amount of money that two teams paid for guards in the first week of free agency. The Lions gave Damien Woody a six-year deal that averages $5.166 million with a $9 million signing bonus, the largest ever given to an interior lineman. Woody also gets a $500,000 roster bonus this year with a base salary of $2 million for a total of $11.5 million he will earn in 2004. Not bad for a player who has problems with his weight, hasn't been to the Pro Bowl and ended the 2003 season injured. The other team to overpay for a guard was the Dolphins paying former Carolina guard Jeno James. The Dolphins gave James a six-year deal that averages $3.522 million per year with a $4.25 million signing bonus. James is also due a $750,000 roster bonus next spring, a bonus he will certainly get unless he suffers a serious injury. The Bills got the best bargain guard, Chris Villarrial, the former Bear who might be the best of the three. He got a four-year deal that averages $2.82 million, which is relatively mild compared to the other two deals. But even $2.8 million is a lot to pay for a guard. They should be developed, not acquired in free agency. And if you do want a veteran, sign that player to a two or three-year deal with a minimal signing bonus and an average of about $1 to $1.5 million. They're guards after all.

The Dolphins opened a lot of eyes with another of their signings, that being Carolina cornerback Reggie Howard. They gave him a six-year deal that average $3.59 million with a $4.5 million signing bonus to essentially be their nickel back. With Sam Madison restructuring his contract, Madison and Surtain will be the starters. "We had an interest in Reggie," said one AFC coach. "But not at those numbers. He isn't worth those numbers." The Panthers will now go into 2004 with two different starting corners then they had to open last season. In addition to losing Howard, the Panthers released Terry Cousin, who lost his job late last season to Ricky Manning. They signed former Bengals corner Artrell Hawkins to take his place.

I can't blame him for his stance on Howard. Sure is alot for a nickelback. However, I have to wonder if there are plans for him to start next season.

OK but what about Chris Villarrial, the former Bear who might be the best of the three. ??

he is on this overpay crap. he is right about woody and others and maybe a bit on James, but Gaurds do make good money, they just dont make T money. we get Boston, he will say he is done and is way overpaid and that everyone should be drafting a WR this year.

Another negative article on the Dolphins offseason. Shocking!

Originally posted by hellhound13
OK but what about Chris Villarrial, the former Bear who might be the best of the three. ??

hes 31. how old is James? 27?

lets see: 27 = 3.5/yr

31= 2.5/yr I dont think either one is overpaid unless they crap the bed. and if Pricko the GM would get a clue, he would know that we dont have a whole OL right now. duh. what a schmoe.

I would like to see Triumph the Insult Comic Dog poop on Prisco! Well not really see it but hear about it on Triumph's next cd or skit.

See, the problem with Prisco's writing is that he is severely biased, and will only offer praise to things he agrees with. As far as Howard goes, he was merely quoting an AFC coach; he didn't really offer his own opinion about it. About James, well, Prisco can say what he wants, but if he saw the way the Dolphins O-line played last year, compared to that of Carolina's, and had seen how the free agent O-linemen were slipping through the Dolphins' fingers one by one, he would understand why James got that much money. But what can you say, Pete will be Pete.

He don't bother me no more one of these days he will eat plenty of crow

Originally posted by Muck
I can't blame him for his stance on Howard. Sure is alot for a nickelback. However, I have to wonder if there are plans for him to start next season.

I support the Howard signing if he is of starting caliber but just the nickel for us. For the fins to do anything we must knock off the Patriots who can attack you in a variety of ways. T. Brown, Branch, Givens and Patten (when healthy) not to mention the occasional catch from Dedric Ward is a pretty tough receiving core in which you need a deep secondary to stop. Just because you only need one good corner to stop Buffalo :D doesn't mean that's the case for everyone else.

James signing was a bargaing.The top 5 salarys for OL last year that include OT and gaurds average was $7,021.000.And the top 10 average was $6,012,000.

Ruben Browns cap number was $5,836.000
Adam Timmerman cap number was $5,024,750

And the signing of Howard was a great move because the Dolphins have a reliabe replacement if Madison or Surtain gets injured.Not to mention 3 corners who can cover in 3 WR formations.

According to Vince Lombardi the OG is the most important positon on the field.

Quote from Pete Prisco

"It's absolutely mind-boggling the amount of money that two teams paid for guards in the first week of free agency. The Lions gave Damien Woody a six-year deal that averages $5.166 million with a $9 million signing bonus, the largest ever given to an interior lineman. Woody also gets a $500,000 roster bonus this year with a base salary of $2 million for a total of $11.5 million he will earn in 2004. Not bad for a player who has problems with his weight, has been to one Pro Bowl and ended the 2003 playoffs injured. The other team to overpay for a guard was the Dolphins with former Panthers guard Jeno James. The Dolphins gave James a six-year deal that averages $3.522 million per year with a $4.25 million signing bonus. James is also due a $750,000 roster bonus next spring, a bonus he will certainly get unless he suffers a serious injury. The Bills got the best bargain guard, Chris Villarrial, the former Bear who might be the best of the three. He got a four-year deal that averages $2.82 million, which is relatively mild compared to the other two deals."

Back
Top Bottom