Merged: Madison doesn't want to take a pay cut??!!!/Zach s/chip in with 5 mil | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Madison doesn't want to take a pay cut??!!!/Zach s/chip in with 5 mil

morality my a$$

Originally posted by DeDolfan

From a $$$ standpoint, he'd be a flippin' fool to take cut cut.
However, from a morality standpoint, he's an idiot since he has to back up with his hand out to grab his check. Apparently, he fails to realize that the big contract is not just a reward for a job well done previously but also for a continuing well done job. The latter part is where he has faile miserably in. B4 his big deal, he was giving us 7-8 picks/yr and since then only 2 or 3. His passes defended has also been in serious decline as well.

I agree with you in an ideal sense but being a member of the NYC web development community and watching my job slip away amonth after my daughter was born....

there is no morality, if you're talking thousands of dollars or millions of dollars. Bottom line is, these athletes have themselves and their family to support. I would continue to try and make as much as possible while I can because you never know what tommorow would bring.

Let's face sam's play has declined, however it's not like he's riding the pine collecting a check or it's not like he's out there loafing. He's out there hustling, hell he went through a period where he wasn't mentioned and there were no big plays on his side so he still has something left. He's just not worth that high cap amount.

So I 100% agree with him, my responsibilty lies with my kids, grandkids, and great grands and their future, forget ideals, because the boss is only trying to line his pockets.

The only time you see a player taking a hit for the team, is when they've made their money and want to win a championship or when their forced to or be cut. Otherwise why should they?

If he doesn't take a cut the question is...

1. Do we trade him?

or

2. Do we cut him after April 1st?

Either way it's a HEAVY hit, just after the first, we can spread the hit out over 2 seasons. HOWEVER.............if we just release him, we spread the hit over 2 seasons, yet get nothing in return. But if we trade him, in say a package deal (our 20th pick, or O-gun) and play our cards right, we could make our 20th a mid-teen pick, or possibly pick up a top 10 pick if he's packaged with O-gun.

I just think that this is positioning by his agent. He can't say that he's willing to take a pay cut. Not only does that destroy Sam's bargaining position in negotiations with the Dolphins but it also is the first thing folks will remember if/when Sam is no longer a Dolphin and he's looking to sign with another team. They'll remember that he admitted he's taken a nose dive in talent so much, that he outright agreed to a paycut. Thats not what Sam wants other teams to think. He wants other teams to think he's still that damn good, but he realizes his team needs the money and he's a team player so he's gonna help out. So his agent says "no paycuts" to the papers but says "yes restructure" to the papers, and meanwhile it would surprise me not a bit if they took some salary and turned it into not likely to be achieved incentive.

BTW not likely to be achieved incentives that are indeed achieved, count for the next year's salary cap. Ricky's cap figure for 2004 was beefed up by a few incentives he reached last year. Meanwhile I'm not sure Tim Ruddy actually got to take advantage of those 'very achievable' incentives that were listed "not likely to be achieved" Thems the breaks I guess. You take a risk when you do somethin like that and Ruddy might be payin for that risk.

Sam was quoted in an earlier thread from a radio interview that he expects to one of the ones who will be reworking his deal this off season and has no problem with it. That Herald article quoted his agent. There is no quote from Sam at all.

Right but the agent essentially agreed with Sam saying he's willing to restructure the contract. But he also said no to a paycut. Sam never commented either way on whether he would take a paycut. If I were his agent and he did say he'd be willing to take a cut, I'd probably kill him.

Originally posted by nick19991
He does deserve that salary he is one of the best in the game

Not anymore. I think he is good but Madison is definitely not one of the best in the game, and he definitely does not deserve anything near what he is supposed to make next season. He needs to take a major pay cut.

Timbo said he would do what it takes to stay, Mare....although not happy about being asked to take a paycut (expected it, was asked it) and hasn't said no....

Madison is above average, but hardly one of the best anymore IMO. He deserves half of what is total package is and if he wants to play hardball then I say dump him anyways (take the 6 mill hit) and get a draftpick and tell him to screw off. As much good as he does (at his above average play, not great), his completely unneccesary personal fouls at the worst times of games are not needed and overshadow what good he has done. Take the cut or go play somewhere else if you think you can get 8mill.... :)

Re: Re: There's an article about it in the Herald

Originally posted by DeDolfan

From a $$$ standpoint, he'd be a flippin' fool to take cut cut.
However, from a morality standpoint, he's an idiot since he has to back up with his hand out to grab his check. Apparently, he fails to realize that the big contract is not just a reward for a job well done previously but also for a continuing well done job. The latter part is where he has faile miserably in. B4 his big deal, he was giving us 7-8 picks/yr and since then only 2 or 3. His passes defended has also been in serious decline as well.

I have to agree with you, he'd be a fool to give up the money, but Jesus!, pardon the expression $ 8 million per year :eek:

His stats prove that his talent and skills are either deminished or he is not turning it up a notch like he used to before 2001...

98-00= 20 INTs, 26 pass defended, and 96 solo takles..
01-03= 8 INTs, 23 pass defended, and 88 solo tackels..

Maybe the DB coaches are not working with him? But as a man he should just say, hey I did not play well over the last few years and maybe I should restructure and lay down some incentive bonuses as motivation...

Re: morality my a$$

Originally posted by rhadaddy

I agree with you in an ideal sense but being a member of the NYC web development community and watching my job slip away amonth after my daughter was born....

there is no morality, if you're talking thousands of dollars or millions of dollars. Bottom line is, these athletes have themselves and their family to support. I would continue to try and make as much as possible while I can because you never know what tommorow would bring.

Let's face sam's play has declined, however it's not like he's riding the pine collecting a check or it's not like he's out there loafing. He's out there hustling, hell he went through a period where he wasn't mentioned and there were no big plays on his side so he still has something left. He's just not worth that high cap amount.

So I 100% agree with him, my responsibilty lies with my kids, grandkids, and great grands and their future, forget ideals, because the boss is only trying to line his pockets.

The only time you see a player taking a hit for the team, is when they've made their money and want to win a championship or when their forced to or be cut. Otherwise why should they?

I see where you're coming from and basically agree. However, ever hear of the phrase "an honest day's pay for an honest day's work" ? Madison, IMO, has not given us that since he signed his big contract, his personal stats prove that. His argument that his responsibilty lies with his family, yada yada would hold more value if he was a blue collr worker like alot of us where even a meager paycut matters alot. If by taking a paycut here, which does not line Wayne's pockets at all but allows it to be spent on other things, from his 6+ mil salary jepoardizes his family's well being, then my suggestion to him would be to fire his financial adviser. If he was to "have" to take a 50% paycut, how much do you think his family would really "suffer" ? keep in ind that the majority of Americans are lucky to earn 1.5 mil in their entire working lifetimes.........about HALF of what madison would make this yr IF he were to accept a 50% cut. I'm sorry, but when it comes to these pampered millionaires and their "family hardships", etc., I feel little pity for them. i'm trying to compare the apples against the apples and leaving the oranges out of it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom